Sitting four months a year

thomas1142

Ok, I have decided that I want to buy an airplane, a Mooney 201J. Don't want to discuss the pros cons or mission requirements.

What I need is some advice from all you folks with experience, how do I handle been out of the country four to five months a year.

I agree with the others. Try to find someone to fly it. If you truly won't be able to operate it, I would have it pickled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pickling preserves the engine, might consider wing jacks to save tires and shock donuts.

Buy a good battery charger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where you located Thomas ?   Eman and I fly together often in mine.. I can vouch for him if he is near you.

I agree with the others.. It should be flown not just run up.

I have been down with various health issues since 10/13 but I keep flying at least once a month if possible with another pilot.

Bill

4 months is a little long for an engine not to run.  I think the best options have been mentioned.  Depends on whether or not you want a partner.  If not, having someone you trust and who is covered by insurance to fly the plane every few weeks would be a way to go.

Where you located Thomas ?   Eman and I fly together often in mine.. I can vouch for him if he is near you.

I agree with the others.. It should be flown not just run up.

I have been down with various health issues since 10/13 but I keep flying at least once a month if possible with another pilot.

Bill

I didn't realize that, Bill.  Hope you get better soon.

The worst partner will still be better for the plane than the best preservation.

They're also like women... if you don't give them enough attention, they will give you trouble.

Two points,

1. I imagine there is some pretty bad horror stories

2. So if planes are like women, when you are away, do you ask another guy to take out your wife, girlfriend??

If the plane is sitting inside a closed hangar there is no more deterioration than flying it. After all the Spirit of St. Louis has been at the Smithsonian for 88 years and looks great. If you have an AGM battery it will not be affected significantly but you may need to recharge the battery before first flight. Plug the exhaust with a rag and other openings to keep moisture and bugs from entering the plane. Lubricate with WD-40 all visible rod ends before hibernation to avoid a sticky one. Change the oil at every annual even if it has not flown 50 hours. Make sure there is no electrical appliances left on in the hangar that could cause a fire.

José

I have a friend who works in Afganistan for 6-9 months at a time. He added me to the insurance and asked me to fly it for an hr or so every 3 weeks. I would email him each time I flew it and let him know everything was ok. We did this for about 2 years and it seem to work out well. If there is someone you trust at you airport see if ou can work out a similiar deal with them.

• Like 1

It's heresy here but I wonder how many thousands of planes sit unflown for several months, though long winter for example, without disastrous results? I'm not talking "best practices" just reality.

It isn't so much just the engine as it is all the moving parts. All those greased items from the prop to the gear don't get any activity. I worry less about corrosion in the engine then I do everything else when it doesn't fly.

It isn't so much just the engine as it is all the moving parts. All those greased items from the prop to the gear don't get any activity. I worry less about corrosion in the engine then I do everything else when it doesn't fly.

I remain skeptical. I'm thinking properly "Tri-Lubed" Heim bearings will do just fine sitting in hanger. The Teflon + lubricant is designed to protect the moving parts between 100 hour/annual inspections.