Pilots' Bill of rights 2

mike_elliott

Unfortunately HIPAA doesn't provide this protection.  Generally speaking, government agencies who are required by law to ensure public safety are authorized to obtain medical information.  See 45 CFR 164.512.

While I don't personally agree with the following, it has been suggested that a pilot should consider having a "cash only" physician who keeps a paper file for medical services to the pilot, and to use cash to pay for medications and studies/workups from that physician.  In addition, the pilot should continue to have a mainstream physician for a visit ever 1-2 years who doesn't know about the cash-only stuff.

A "required" third-class medical will be going away.  To me, the question is what will happen to insurance costs for the future self-certified non third-class pilots.  Those who make a living off of insurance must be salivating.    

Partially true. You may get away with staying under the radar with a physician, but chances are your local pharmacist is selling your name and medication to a service which provides the information to the manufacturer for marketing and statistical purposes.

It also occurs to me that if you are seeing a physician for something that may disqualify you, it's probably a serious and costly condition, so paying cash may get quite expensive.

there are three kinds of "non-medical certificate" flying:

1. "sport pilot" rules: drivers license-in-lieu-of-medical

2. "glider and balloon" rules: no medical necessary, not even a driver's license (you still have to have ID when exercising privileges of the certificate)

3. non-PIC rule: flight instructors who are not acting as PIC don't need a medical, for example, when giving tailwheel endorsement instruction to a pilot rated in category, class, and type, or giving Mooney transition training to rated pilots

Partially true. You may get away with staying under the radar with a physician, but chances are your local pharmacist is selling your name and medication to a service which provides the information to the manufacturer for marketing and statistical purposes.

It also occurs to me that if you are seeing a physician for something that may disqualify you, it's probably a serious and costly condition, so paying cash may get quite expensive.

We have a local physician who was tired of the regular rat race. He closed down his practice, moved to the beach and reopened in a small building. No office help, just him. He doesn't take any insurance or credit cards, Cash Only. For $80 cash you get a reserved 30 time slot of his day. If he treats you in 10 minutes and you want to talk airplanes the other 20 that's fine with him as he is a pilot also. You just have to be out by the end of your time slot so the next person can get in their time slot, no waiting.

If you want a 3rd class medical he normally gives those at his house/hanger on the weekend.

• Like 2

Funny thing is how important it is to avert calamity and save a life that might be at risk from an old pilot that may have an inflight health emergency. It's also of great importance to tell commercial motor vehicle drivers how many hours they will be alert behind the wheel, have them jump through many health hoops with the medical certificates much likethe FAA does. They make you fill out mountains of documentation when you drive a heavy vehice for the purpose of making a living, and I am all in favor of protecting the public. Then unlike the FAA, the FMSCA thinks a retired person of ANY age or health condition is quite safe to drive anysize or any weight motorhome on public highways with no time restrictions as to hours behind the wheel. No medical exam, nothing. Quite odd I find, sure seems like there is room for some common sense in all of this.

• Like 1

I sent off EMAILS to my Congressman and Senator Nelson today. Will also send one off to Senator Rubio even though he has yet to respond to any other correspondence that I have sent him. I guess he is too busy running for President to respond to a constituent.

I am a big supporter of eliminating the Third Class Medical Certificate. It became even more important to me following my heart attack in March 2013. It is interesting to me that the week after I was released from the hospital, it would have been perfectly legal for me to operate a car, truck, sport utility vehicle, motor home or motorcycle on the Federal Interstate Highway system in close proximity to other citizens and their families and nobody anywhere is concerned about that. I could also operate an all terrain vehicle a jet ski or a power boat of any type, as long as I was doing it for personal pleasure purposes and no government official would care in the least. I could even fly sailplanes, since I have a Glider Rating, and that too would have been perfectly legal.

BUT, because I own a Light Aircraft, I was subjected to a six month healing and recovery period, followed by special medical testing. Then I had to gather all of my medical records from the Hospital Admission Summary to the lab work and tracings from my Bruce Protocol Stress Test and submit this to some doctor in Oklahoma City who will never examine me in order to get my Medical Certificate and flying privileges restored. My Cardiologist had to write a complete Cardiovascular Report on me. The FAA required the images from one of my tests in both color and greyscale. They even required a DVD from each of the two Angioplasty procedures that I underwent in the hospital. so even with the Cardiologists written evaluation and all of the test results from the day of my heart attack forward, they actually wanted the DVD of the actual procedures to review. WE ARE ACTUALLY PAYING TAX DOLLARS FOR A DOCTOR IN OKLAHOMA CITY TO WATCH OUR SURGICAL PROCEDURES!

What IRKS me is that American citizens may operate any motorized vehicle or conveyance for private use and personal pleasure purposes without meeting any medical standards (other than passing an eye test for a Drivers License) undergoing any medical testing or providing one piece of medical documentation to ANY government agency, Federal, State or Local, BUT when it comes to operating a Light Aircraft, well, the rights and privileges that all other citizens enjoy suddenly don't apply to us. That is just plain wrong and UNACCEPTABLE.

My Dad had his Special Issuance Medical denied some ten years ago and he still flies with me. He can still handle the airplane safely and competently. He has not suffered any medical incapacity while flying. So are the FAA's standards even applicable to general aviation in the first place? All their standards did was deny him the ability to act as PIC.

We're not fighter pilots engaging in high G aerial combat against MIGs, defending the homeland. Were not performing aerobatics. Most of us are going for airplane rides when the weather is nice and the wind isn't blowing too hard. The most strenuous part of my flying activity is pushing the plane in and out of the hangar. I need a Medical Certificate for that?!

The biggest laugh is that I can fly sailplanes without a medical. Thermalling a sailplane in Florida during the hot and humid days we have down here is a far more physically demanding and strenuous activity than flying my airplane. Yet, the FAA does not require a medical for flying Gliders, just airplanes!

Enough!

• Like 5

BK,

Nicely stated.

There are probably some senators and reps that are unable to perform the Bruce Protocol Stress Test and they probably drive vehicles that are heavier and more powerful than a Mooney M20R. (Briefly, Bruce=Walk/Jog/Run uphill on a treadmill for an extended period of time...)

The class III medical and the SI system are a legal way to restrict ordinary people from flying airplanes. Ordinary people have heart attacks, recover and live another 50 years.

Performing a Bruce Protocol can induce another heart-attack if proper training and precautions are not taken...

The world is slowly becoming familiar with the challenges of living and getting old.

Go AOPA and AARP...

I'm looking forward to the end of the class III medical. It has outlived it's usefulness...

Erik,

I am guessing the 14k' limitation is one part existing regs and one part there are no driver comparisons to grampa driving a sport-ute in the mountainous thin air...

Since your Rocket can handle the higher alts and the pilot and family knows how to use O2, I would add that to your letter if you haven't done so already....

Best regards,

-a-

Erik,

I am guessing the 14k' limitation is one part existing regs and one part there are no driver comparisons to grampa driving a sport-ute in the mountainous thin air...

Since your Rocket can handle the higher alts and the pilot and family knows how to use O2, I would add that to your letter if you haven't done so already....

Best regards,

-a-

As far as I know - 14k is nowhere in any current aeronautical regulations.  (Well there is the reg that allows 30 min for crew between 12500-14000 without supplemental O2).  I would guess that aeronautical structure would suggest 18k if they were limiting no 3rd class to something - but seriously, I think it is a useless activity getting a 3rd class and it should just go away for all operations that currently require it.  I will put this into my letter.

• Like 1

Thank you for the link.  Easy and fast to fill out and send.  I know several pilots watching the progress of this new Bill.  I hope for them as well as general aviation it passes!  I have a feeling the LSA folks will literally throw their body in front of the train to stop this dead in its track!  Time will tell.....

Rick

Rick,

The value of the LSAs probably won't change that much. They are still good planes desired by somebody.

There would be some that would like to move back to the four seat high speed machines...

Is that what you meant?

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks Hank.

I never considered that.

Should have eliminated class III long before so much work went into getting around it with the LSA movement...

I'd like to thank the LSA movement for demonstrating that aging aviators still have the ability to fly...

or should the driving laws be tougher?    I think I have to have a Class B to drive my dad's big ole bus RV.   I happen to have a class A.   but because I am limited to Texas, I don't need a medical.  Texas is a big state, I am fine with that

$75 for a medical a couple of weeks ago.   Had to cough and pass the peripheral vision test, which I did not have to the first two times.   I think it was $120 in Houston.  If you want to fly to College Station  probably get a crew car from Easterwood, I can give you a name.

And since they are both DOT agencies.   How about one medical test that covers both.aero and driving.

• Like 1

or should the driving laws be tougher?    I think I have to have a Class B to drive my dad's big ole bus RV.   I happen to have a class A.   but because I am limited to Texas, I don't need a medical.  Texas is a big state, I am fine with that

$75 for a medical a couple of weeks ago.   Had to cough and pass the peripheral vision test, which I did not have to the first two times.   I think it was $120 in Houston.  If you want to fly to College Station  probably get a crew car from Easterwood, I can give you a name.

And since they are both DOT agencies.   How about one medical test that covers both.aero and driving.

With all due respect absolutely not.

We do not need the gov't more involved in our lives.  The reason to get rid of the 3rd class physical is not the physical itself which most pilots even those with special issuance can pass easily myself included.  It is the bureaucratic paper work if you go to the doctor for a cold and what you need to do after that for your 3rd class.  Furthermore it is someone in a dark hole in OK that reviews your application without ever seeing or talking to you.  Gov't at its best. :o

Well - bitter sweet - GREAT for aviation it is this far along - now I think it will actually happen.

But bitter sweet since for me as of right now it does little since I will still be wasting time, money and annoyance on a 3rd class medical: Darn - that 14,000 is in the Bill and there are no knowledgable voices that I can imagine that would push that out.  Nor the Bill's backers too likely worry about it since they will be trying to get what they can, rightly so.  Still how odd - so now if this passes you can fly at 13,999 at 249kts in IMC.  I want the flexibility to fly above 14k.

• Like 1

Then there is the Insurance which really drives things.  Will insurance be higher for those flying on a DL?

When you first get a Mooney, the FAA says you can fly it, the insurance company says you need certain number of hours in it

And then (eventually)we will find out the truth. Insurance companies work on statistics. If the accident rate supports the need for medical exams, it will eventually show up in the premium rates.

The only part we don't know is whether the insurance carriers will require an exam until the statistics can be developed.

Erik,

What is the service ceiling for your Rocket?

What would be an altitude to propose to AOPA, if we start a late stage letter writing campaign?

Change is glacial. I intend to still be here when it happens...

Even if it takes two steps...

Best regards,

-a-

24000 service ceiling for Rocket