Vintage Mooney Cowling Mod

Just spent some time with Catto Propeller talking spinners. I may have a way to solve the high price spinner by having carbon fiber spinners made.

David

David,

Have you checked with www.tcbcomposite.com

They have quite a few models as well as manufacturing capabilities.

Clarence

I know I had asked before, but do you think you will be making the cowl work with non-201 spinners? Really, that's the only reason I don't already have the swta cowl. The cost of new spinner and backplate, plus removing the prop and doing another dynamic balance. Not to mention new motor mounts, as I understand that is advisable when setting up a new cowl. It all added up to too much. :(

Hi Clarence,

I did check with TCB and didn't find the diameter that I need for my mod.

Hi Browncbr1,

I've looked at it a little and I don't think I can work the round inlets in and I know I can't get the air filter in the left cylinder air inlet without the cowl moved forward a bit. It could be done if I made a whole new cowling but the air filter would have to remain where it is. I'll look at it some more when I get further along in the current mod.

Thank you,

David

Hi carusoam,

I went looking and found the thread. It could be done and I might look at it when I'm done with all the vintage models. It's not easy but challenging and rewarding when a prototype is close to being finished.

Thanks,

David

Yah. Leave the man alone. We want our vintage cowls brought into this century.

Ned Gravel

Lucky steward of C-FSWR, a '65 E model at Rockcliffe, Ontario, (CYRO)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Time for final fitting of the new cowling pieces, then on to riveting the parts together.

David

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Oh my gosh!  You are an engineering artist!  I had not been following this thread! Mine too please!  I am sure the J's....and the K's would love an update too....

I know I would!  Although a bit more complicated because for a rocket the original K-cowl almost fits, except for a minor bump near the front left for a cylinder.

I'm loving this and have been watching for a while. Only thing I'm a little confused on is the spinner. I have the hartzell top prop on my C with the long pointed spinner. Will this work with your cowling? I know it's a topic that's been brought up before but most of the conversation was on the later model OEM spinner and I'm not familiar enough to know the difference.

• Like 1

That's a good question. It will depend on a couple of things, what is the diameter of your spinner at the base and where is it mounted on the propeller? I'll try to post a picture of my spinner backing plate installation and the diameter of the 201 spinner is 14 inches.

Thank you,

David

Hi Cliffy,

I'll include the D. It might not be in the first STC just like the pre 66 airplanes, but I do plan on doing an STC for the 65 and older birds. There's a cowling set on EBay right now I'm contemplating buying for the early planes at a reasonable price. I think I get them for the future mod. It will work with the three blade prop with the correct part number spinner. I'll work more on specifics of that later on in the mod.

David

I'm also interested in this bit. I'm looking at a '63 M20D with a 3-blade Hartzell and a cowling might be the first major mod, I think,