Do you fly with one hand on the wheel or both hands on the wheel?

bd32322

Dumb poll - do you fly with one hand on the wheel or both hands on the wheel?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. One hand on the wheel or both hands

• One hand always
    • Both hands always
    • One hand sometimes and two hands at other times

At first I thought only people new to flying try to place both hands on the wheel like a car. But then I saw a few more pilots using both hands - they seemed to be in the minority. Which has gotten me curious about this. Sorry its a completely useless poll :)

To make me fly more smoothly, my instructor advised me to rest the 'outer' part of each hand on its respective thigh, then use finger tips to hold the yoke.

It works well for me.

And, as a Bravo driver, I've found that I need to use two hands when flaring before landing. That nose is heavy...

I usually fly with one hand on the yoke, but sometimes during maneuvering, or for whatever reason I do use two hands - it's rare, but that's why I had to choose the third option as oppose to the 1st option - absolutes make it difficult to select answers sometimes (and I know I use absolutes in polls myself).  If it were a poll that usually 1 hand, I would have chosen that one.

-Seth

I believe it's a very good idea to keep your hand on the throttle(s) when you're on approach and throughout the landing and of course, throughout the initial part of the takeoff. But remember, that there are times when it makes sense to have that hand doing other things too. On takeoff, the hand is on the throttle until it's time to raise the gear. At that point, the hand comes of the throttle to the gear switch and remains on the gear switch until the gear is up and indicating up. Same thing with the landing gear extension - the hand stays on the gear switch until the gear is down and indicating down. 

This thing about hanging on to the throttles for "dear life" is not a bad thing, but a lot of it is a carry over from the old radial engine days - some of those big engines had a propensity to backfire back through the carburetor. When that happened it would slam the butterfly shut and take the throttle along for the ride. Also, those big engines were known for their vibrating - which also had a tendency to walk the throttles back. With today's engines, it's not that big a deal. In fact with turbine engines the drill is to remove your hands from the throttles once you have achieved V1 - it's too much of a temptation to retard them if something untowards were to happen above that speed. 

During take off left hand only right hand is busy doing lots of things, throttle gear flaps trim back to throttle. On a long cruise it's no hands as the AP is on the yoke and my right is keeping trim just right. Approach is like TO with some variations for the right one hand on the yoke till done with role out.

Mostly just the left hand. In greater than mild turbulence, or gusty crosswinds, I sometimes add a little right. When I'm out of recent practice, I'll often spend my first few minutes IMC with both hands on the yoke until I get comfortable again.

Just like setting flaps for landing, it depends upon the situation. Left hand normally, but the right comes in when needed.

I never touch the yoke with right hand. (Oh, maybe to do a mag check.) I'm left handed but most of flying a Mooney, particularly a JBar version, is right hand for tuning, turning, pushing, pulling any number of controls.

At cruise I keep the A/P engaged. Mostly to be able to take pics of the Aspen's TAS display to post here. :D

post-8913-0-67655800-1420075612_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I never touch the yoke with right hand. (Oh, maybe to do a mag check.) I'm left handed but most of flying a Mooney, particularly a JBar version, is right hand for tuning, turning, pushing, pulling any number of controls.

At cruise I keep the A/P engaged. Mostly to be able to take pics of the Aspen's TAS display to post here. :D

To be quite blunt with you Bob! Time for a new picture. Think you need to add that 650 to compliment that 750. I know, I'm spending your money again. :)

Happy New Year!

• Like 2

To make me fly more smoothly, my instructor advised me to rest the 'outer' part of each hand on its respective thigh, then use finger tips to hold the yoke.

It works well for me.

And, as a Bravo driver, I've found that I need to use two hands when flaring before landing. That nose is heavy...

I used to do this while in college driving home late after a night of dancing. :huh:

I still do it on long drives and when flying helicopters.

OK it's time for a vote, I don't have the slightest idea how to set up a pole but we need to have a vote for our favorite panels. Contestants can post their pictures and we can all cast our votes. We could have it in both the modern and vintage categories.

• Like 1

It works well for me.

My instructor would smack me if I took my hand off the throttle during final or initial climb out.  Old school 172 flight school stuff maybe but it sticks with me and works on my C.

• Like 1

Mostly I roll down the airways smokin endo sippin on gin and juice, laid back, with my mind on my Mooney and my Mooney on my mind.

Sorry, couldn't resist growing up in the 90s.

Don't apologize, seems to me you're showing this thread all the respect it deserves.

Quite a few guys here don't seem to have dates on NY Eve? I thought pilots were supposed to get the girls?