New member and not a Mooney owner.....YET.....Hope to be soon - comments please

ShermAv8tor

I was there Sherm, 

I had my heart set on an E.  After all as the 200hp with the least airframe to haul around, it's the hot rod of the class.  But I can't tell you how happy I am to have a VERY well equipped C instead.

same here.  Barnstormers had an ad for a C model 90 miles away.  My buddy told me I needed to jump on it.  Haven't regretted the decision since.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think a few members here have said their airplane finds them, well I have to say I think that may be the case for me as well. sometimes the way things work out.....you think to yourself "this was meant to be" I will post pics and further updates as I progress along and seal the deal. Yes it is a C model, and yes I know I will be happy with it, after all as a new pilot its a great start! My first Mooney flight was great, its quiet, solid and flys tight! Wife 7 I both went up, seperately though, she didnt like the idea of us both with someone we dont know very well. She liked it and had a huge smile on her face, so that was a big hurdle! Updates to follow......

So when I did go flying, I am accustomed to the training in my C150 and for landing on the downwind when abeam of the numbers I select Carb heat "ON" - Of course I know Flaps, Gear, approach speed all different, but when I noted the pilot did not apply carb heat, obviusly curious I posed the question about using the carb heat for landing? Pilot stated that he has never used carb heat ever (at anytime) in his 20 plus years of flying C model Mooneys. So I was curious from the forum is that true? I thought wow seems strange, its there for a reason.....but again new guy here....

I only use carb heat occasionally in cruise to get better balance between the intakes for LOP operations. I don't leave it in, but use it about half way for 30 seconds or so. Sometimes, but not always, this allows me to go LOP. Other times I don't need it to go LOP. And sometimes it just won't go LOP.

But I've never used it for ice and never used it on landing.

I only use carb heat occasionally in cruise to get better balance between the intakes for LOP operations. I don't leave it in, but use it about half way for 30 seconds or so. Sometimes, but not always, this allows me to go LOP. Other times I don't need it to go LOP. And sometimes it just won't go LOP.

But I've never used it for ice and never used it on landing.

Ok what does LOP stand for?

I've only used carb heat when flying in IMC, when the Carb Temp gage was in the orange stripe. I do,not use carb heat routinely when landing. I've experimented with LOP without success.

With my freshly repaired carb heat, though, I'm flying faster, so I will have to repeat my carb heat for LOP tests.

I guess my Mooney found me, I was flying my C150 all over the state and my wife said we need more speed so I started looking at different types. I had some right seat time in various Mooney's J's bravos even a rocket flying from takeoff all the way to landing while my CFI took down notes for squaks on the airplane. I saw my future Mooney on Controller and went to take a look. Did not do a pre purchase big mistake see Mooney Flyer for that story. On the second visit to take a test flight my wife and I were waiting for the pilot to board and he says what are you waiting for get in and let's go. So after we get in and I get instructed on how to start the engine we taxi out and go through the normal run up take the runway and fly. Corse all the Mooney's I had flown right seat had electric gear and this was my first time using the J bar.

The take off was fine even though I was a little wobbly as I was raising the gear. We flew around for about 20 minutes and then returned to land. That was my first time dealing with managing speed while approaching the pattern since we had ended up around 6000ft AGL. All I can say is the plane flew beautifuly and I ended up purchasing it. Went back down with my CFI friend to close the deal and have him fly it home since I was not rated for complex.

He left about 10 minutes ahead of me and I hopped in my Cessna and took of after. When I got home he was not there but said he might stop at Sonoma Skypark for a cheese burger as they have a BBQ every Saturday. Well just a couple of minutes after I climbed out of my 150 here comes my new Mooney on final.

When he got out I asked him what took so long and he said he stopped for a burger and some hangar talk and that was about 45 minutes. Big difference in speed I'd say. Well after getting my complex it needed to go in for its annual and boy did that cost me. Lesson learned a lot of issues to fix but nothing that made my plane un airworthy. After my second annual (still expensive but not as bad as the first) I think I have a real solid airplane and I would have to say it definitely found me.

As for carb heat I always apply when I pull power in the pattern. It's what I was trained to do and don't see any reason not to and if I have to go around I would hate to add power and have the engine die do to ice in the carb.

Ahhhhh.....LOP= lean of peak! Yes Im learning to be failiar with that term. Too many acronymns.....in the Gulfstream world its Low Oil Pressure!

Well I found a 1965 Mooney owners manual and in the flight procedures section it in fact does call for Carb heat during the landing phase - It also outlines that carb heat should be used when power is reduced for descent and landings and should be used fully as opposed to partial as partial could raise the carb temp just enough to the icing level. (unless a carb temp gage is used)

• Like 1

Sherman, I don't reduce power for descent, I just push for 500 fpm and trim to hold it. As MP rises, I periodically walk it back to my cruise setting; same with EGT and mixture. This puts me descending at the top of the green arc, around 170 mph, which makes up for my slow climbs. Altitude is free speed, I don't want to give it away with reduced throttle.

Same fuel, more speed is better to me than same speed, less fuel, as it will also use less fuel for the trip. Coming down from 9500 msl to pattern altitude of 1600 starts > 50 nm out, and groundspeed can pass 200 knots.

• Like 1

Get a copy of the most recent POH for the C and consider a carb temp gauge as well...

The 60’s were great for building planes, but the docs with performance data didn't catch up until a decade later...

The Mooney that found me was tired...

I was happy to go find the right one later on...

My next Mooney hasn't been built yet.

I won't own it for another 15 years...

I hope that it is an Acclaim.

Long term planning may be required...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I think you're on a great track. I'd finish my PPL first before I went after another plane, since you're close already. You certainly can do long cross country flights without an IFR but be prepared to spend a few nights in a hotel waiting for weather. Even with the IFR rating you can get stuck. Just be conservative and know your limits.

F will cost a little more for the extra space. I have an E and it is possible to put people in the back but I'm short and have my seat just one notch back from all the way forward. With tall (long legged) people in front I think it becomes impossible to put people in back. I like my E and it does really get up and go. 

Corrosion due to dissimilar metals around the roll cage and leaky tanks needing reseal are two of the big issues to watch out for. 

Its a buyers market so you should have little trouble finding and buying the plane you want but if you change your mind ........ So do a lot of research beforehand and get what you really want and can afford on the first go. 

• Like 1

What would I buy if I had it to do "over" again? An M20E. It is what I could afford. Four seats full tanks can't be done in an F or a J with "big adults". They are all 3 seat planes UNLESS you are going on a 1-2 hour flight. I did those flights with teenagers (son 5'10). Room in back is fine unless your legs are in the top 10%. The F model is nice because of the added baggage and fold down seats. That's it. The E is a little faster than the F and C.

I don't think $40k is a good buy-in price point for any of the three (C,E.F) as you WILL be spending a LOT of money on fixing and upgrades. ALWAYS cheaper to buy a plane that someone else has upgraded and taken care of...FLOWN.

Fuel tanks, Engine/airframe corrosion, and old avionics are the BIG dollar gotcha's in vintage Mooney's.

Find a Co-Owner and get the F OR J that will make you and your family happy for a long time. For $80 grand you can get into an airframe that should not (but might) nickel and dime you for maintenance and WILL have equipment you will want to upgrade.

Good luck. Have fun. It is a BUYERS MARKET.

• Like 2

I note that you are training in a 150 as I did. The one thing nice about a slow airplane is its a lot easier to accumulate hours. Heck I've been some headwinds that if it weren't for fuel I could have accumulated all my needed hours for cross county I one short flight.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thats funny Bonal - I just completed 5 hours cross country over the weekend because the wind out of SFo & SAC at 4500 & 5500 were about 25-30 MPH either on my nose or across the nose on 2 legs, while the 3rd leg with a tail wind got me Ground speeds around 132 MPH - smoking for a lil 150! haha!

Well guys thanks for all the replies and info on this post, truly valuable and appreciated by all...I will continue to use this site as I am now officially a Mooney owner……well 1/2 to start with potential buyout in about 6-8 months. So for reasons of logistics, buyin cost, the current owner going out of his way to accomodate me……..its a 1965 C model. Nicely equipped with a 700 EDT monitor, panel 396 GPS with external mount antenna, digital VOR, Digital NAV/COM (but only one each) IFR certified, AP with Alt hold, Portable Comm unit (but he has brand new 4pl w stereo panel mount with stereo I'm gonna install) 201 cowl Mod, one piece windshield (Not 201 style) LASAR hubcaps, 10 year old paint and always hangared last 22 years, and same owner last 22 years. 3400 TTAF, and 1400 SMOH with CermiNil cylinders. I talked to and met Kyle (Maintenance manager) from LASAR….great guy and very helpful, and I had them come get it and take back to the shop for a look over. Oil analysis was good. Gonna get some gear work done, rigging, bushings, bolts, nose truss bolt/bushing, steering horn. One of the trim torque tubes found rubbing against the phenolic block towards the tail which will be replaced and addressed, battery box corrosion. Got it worked out so I will not go onto insurance until after I get my PPL, so reducing cost again. I'm excited for my furure flying days in the Mooney, and yes I got my first flight in it and it was awesome, the PC works great, it flew smooth, 150 mph without trying. My wife flew and she liked it too. We are both excited which is a good thing.

I would post pics but cant seem to get it to work or I dont know what I'm doing or maybe cuz I'm on a MAC….

Click on "Choose File," then select a photo. Next click on "Attach This File." Repeat for each photo. Simple, but you must do one photo at a time.

Yeah it's just that simple. I think I saw your new to you Mooney over at Lake Aero. Looking forward to the pics and the stories of your new adventures.

• Like 1

Congrats! I have a 65C too. Seems to be a common vintage. Enjoy the economy and modest performance. I fly mine slow in cruise but enjoy great climb rates, great economy, and the option to go fast if I need it. It's sort of like my 2013 Corvette. I can go fast cheaply if I want to or just enjoy a nice cruise sipping gas.

• Like 3

I bought mine after 75 hours. I was 50 when I got my ticket. I have a E and am very happy 1974. In my case I wanted a 4 passenger plane and have found 90 % of the time it's just my wife and me. I'm not in the back seat so whatever:) I would get a good inspection on the engine and frame. I did the interior myself and had it painted for 7000. I bought an ugly one that had decent working electronics.

I don't have auto pilot but I never have had it. The wing leveler I really like. It flys like a dream. There was a guy in Green Bay that was selling his for 29000. Interior ok paint fair mid time engine. Needed some maintainance stuff but not bad. Everything is doable. Only in America can you have some version of anything. Good luck. Here's me flying on Saturday

• Like 1