Whiskey Compass Holder

I have a whiskey compass holder that is plastic and and is falling apart. It attaches to the center post by 4 screws that attaches in the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. Does anyone know where I could a holder like this? The ones I have found attaches with screws in the fore and aft positions which if used would require more holes be drilled in the center post.

Thanks,

Jim

I just bought a replacement housing for mine and had it replaced last week during my annual.  Haven't seen the bill yet, but the "housing" is less expensive than the replacement of the whole compass.  When I talked to the shop about modifying its position, one of their fears was making new holes in that structural member.  So the new housing, which looks exactly like the old one, is now mounted - in the same place with two nut-and-bolt fasteners.

I believe the oem for the compass you are looking for is Airpath.  In the original application, the housing was metal (aluminum?).  Today they are made of plastic.

I replaced my old compass with a new one.  When installing it, I over tightened and broke the plastic housing.  A quick phone call to Airpath and a few bucks later, the new housing showed up in the mail...

http://www.airpathcompass.com/images/Airpath-Spareparts-2.jpg

The catalog houses only list a few of the most common parts.  I think a phone call is still required to get the housing.  I also noticed that the angle of the bracket is not quite the same as the angle of the tube it is mounted in....?

Best regards,

-a-

What I remember most about the compass.  The screws were brass, and too long.  They were never fully tightened again (tight screws=lots of vibration) and every now and then one of the brass  nuts would fall down and be gently caught by the boot on the J-Bar.  One day the boot was loose, the nut fell and immediately dissappeared below the floor to only be found at the next annual when the belly skins were removed.  I am sure there is a better way....

Quote: JimR

Are you sure about that?  I thought that I remembered reading recently on one of the Mooney lists that it was steel in older Mooneys and stainless steel in newer ones.

Jim 

I know in my 1965 M20C, that navigation by compass required knowing more than ANDS and OSUN.  I falsely replaced the first compass because it appeared to stick during turns, then it would swing wildly to catch up.  The new compass did the same thing.  I believe each time N tried to pass in front of the tube, it would hang until it overpowered the tube's attraction.  This was during instrument training for "worst case" no gyro approaches. 

It seems kind of silly to hang a compass on a big steel tube.  Maybe Al didn't think it was that critical....?

Best regards,

-a-