Right Rudder in Cruise

Works that way on my rudder trim, Jim.

More attitude = more right rudder trim --> climbing.

Less attitude = centered rudder trim --> level flight.

Really less attitude = left rudder trim. --> descending flight.

Adjust the trim to center the ball.

Very small amounts of trim needed...

Best regards,

-a-

Works that way on my rudder trim, Jim.

More attitude = more right rudder trim --> climbing.

Less attitude = centered rudder trim --> level flight.

Really less attitude = left rudder trim. --> descending flight.

Adjust the trim to center the ball.

Very small amounts of trim needed...

Best regards,

-a-

Which models have rudder trim? Surely nothing with a Lycoming engine? I do have a nice aileron trim with my PC system, though, and can make minute adjustments with the heading bug.

And no, I have no bendable rudder trim tab.

Having been through the rigging process twice (the second time after a perfect paint job) I have to say that the plane can certainly be rigged without bending anything.  If the boards show that the ailerons are rigged as per the manual and if the gear stows away nicely and nothing hangs down to create a right wing heavy symptom, then first put a level across the seat tracks to be sure the airplane is level on the ground and check to see that the ball is perfectly centered on the ground.  It's possible that you are only observing the ball out of level when the airplane does not need the right rudder input.  So you may have to adjust the turn coordinator on the ground.  If all the items above appear correct, then adjust the rudder position itself.  Do a half turn at a time and fly the plane until you can fly with feet off the pedals.  On the J the rudder must be 1 degree to the right of center before any finer adjustments are made.  Remember that the air spirals around the fuselage and does not flow straight back.  Bending an aileron may appear to lift a wing but the airplane will be moving in a very slight crab and won't gain any speed.  People with experience have a better idea of how much adjustment is needed and can help you in an hour or so as you fly the plane once or twice between adjustments.  Don't let anyone bend anything unless it's to correct some earlier bending someone else shouldn't have done.

Couldn't have stated better my self. Proper rig pedals neutral and locked in place. Place flight control to required degrees or zero. Then check and adjust throws as required, If all flight controls are properly rigged. Plane should fly straight . I owned a Vtail once an early model, A work acquaintance also owned a newer model. His tail wagged but my flew straight as an arrow. After I checked the rig for him and it was way off, he felt like he had a new airplane.   

• 2 months later...

Ours is a '65 C model with no trim tab.

I've also noticed, at almost all phases, when I bank left I still have to hold right rudder.

Here are some of my analysis:

in cruise around 137 KIAS, you need right rudder, on approach and flare, still using right rudder, but lose it before that wheel touches down.  Otherwise you're doing that 8 second ride, which I do not enjoy.

Climbing, right rudder, descending right rudder...thinking I should try the rod end adjustment, question is how much per half turn of the rod end gives you what results?

Oh and this is all with the PC off, with it on, seems like it needs to be turned to the right quite a bit.

Sounds to me like one of your PC servos is leaking. I used to cruise with slight right aileron all the time, turns out the rubber boot on my right wing servo had a huge tear. Sent it to Brittain, all fixed up for $125 plus shipping. The only problem, the aileron servos are hard to get to, unless you have little hands. The tail servos are in the radio compartment and easy to see, reach, etc.

Ours is a '65 C model with no trim tab.

I've also noticed, at almost all phases, when I bank left I still have to hold right rudder.

Here are some of my analysis:

in cruise around 137 KIAS, you need right rudder, on approach and flare, still using right rudder, but lose it before that wheel touches down.  Otherwise you're doing that 8 second ride, which I do not enjoy.

Climbing, right rudder, descending right rudder...thinking I should try the rod end adjustment, question is how much per half turn of the rod end gives you what results?

Oh and this is all with the PC off, with it on, seems like it needs to be turned to the right quite a bit.

Adjusting the rod end only moves the rudder pedals, it won't make your plane fly straight. What about your ailerons? Does your airplane have a distinct left or right turning tendency? I have seen airplanes that were so catty-wumpus that the aileron rigging was transferring to the rudder by means of the springs in the belly that serve as the interconnect between the rudder and ailerons.

I think you are probably due for a REAL flight control rigging by a shop (good MSC) that has travel boards and really knows how to use them.