Tow my Mooney

Jsavage3

Pulling my Mooney out of my hangar is no problem as it's slightly downhill, but getting it back into my hangar is, well, something I dread.  Dry asphalt, I can get it done solo as long as I get a little run at it...  Wet or icy = major issues.

So, I'm looking for suggestions as to what device is preferred when it comes to tow devices for the Mooney.  I've been looking at RoboTow for awhile and I just ran across a nifty battery-drill device being advertised at Oshkosh...

For those of you using or have used a tow device for your Mooney, what works best for you?

I use a Powertow KeyEZ. As with almost anything there are pros and cons.

Cons:

It's expensive @ 1800.00

You can't take it with you.

You have to lift it to change direction while towing.

On a polished concrete hangar floor, the drive wheel slips easily. (Chains would mark the floor)

I don't live in snow country in the winter so I can't tell you about how it works in snow and ice, although I'm sure the optional tire chain works well.

The key position down on the battery box requires you to bend down to start/stop the engine. (I moved my switch up near the handlebars. No more bending.

Pros:

It is a quality piece of equipment. Made in the USA.

It has never failed me. I use aviation fuel in it so I don't worry about ethanol while it's stored.

My back has never felt better since leaving my tow bar in the storage compartment. (But that would probably be with any towbar you choose.)

I would think you will have a problem getting traction with any powered assist device when going up hill with snow or ice on the ground.

Why not a simple rope and pulley set up that connects to the tail tie down then goes to the back of the hangar through a pulley and returns through the center out to the front of the plane. With a setup like this you could easily change the ratio by adding pulleys in order to comfortably pull the plane back into the hangar by yourself. Could also get it all done for less than thirty bucks or so and no batteries to worry about. I've never done it but its what I would do given my vision of your circumstance. Of course if you need to back it up hill a hundred feet to get to your hangar door, that might be different.

I would think you will have a problem getting traction with any powered assist device when going up hill with snow or ice on the ground. Why not a simple rope and pulley set up that connects to the tail tie down then goes to the back of the hangar through a pulley and returns through the center out to the front of the plane. With a setup like this you could easily change the ratio by adding pulleys in order to comfortably pull the plane back into the hangar by yourself. Could also get it all done for less than thirty bucks or so and no batteries to worry about. I've never done it but its what I would do given my vision of your circumstance. Of course if you need to back it up hill a hundred feet to get to your hangar door, that might be different.
You bring up a topic I have been trying to get an answer to. I have an electric winch at the back of my hangar. It was installed by the airport years ago. I have been hesistant to use it because I don't believe our tail hooks can withstand that much. Can anyone confirm if this will or will not damage anything?

My airplane tore loose from its tie down at Tucson international Airport 15 years ago during a storm. The airport staff said it traveled about 200 yards and was stopped by the propeller of a King Air. The Mooney unbent three chain hooks. ( it was back in its parking spot when I got there) I could not find the least bit of damage to the Mooney except for a small nick in the elevator where it hit the King air.

I wouldn't worry about the tail hook.

My airplane tore loose from its tie down at Tucson international Airport 15 years ago during a storm. The airport staff said it traveled about 200 yards and was stopped by the propeller of a King Air. The Mooney unbent three chain hooks. ( it was back in its parking spot when I got there) I could not find the least bit of damage to the Mooney except for a small nick in the elevator where it hit the King air. I wouldn't worry about the tail hook.
Thanks. You probably just saved me over $1k. I have been looking at tugs to the job!

I have a friend that pulls his Cessna 340 into the hanger with the winch. He pulls the cable under the plane and pulls from the nose gear while steering with tow bar. Sounds strange but it works.

Someone posted here a couple years ago about using a cheap riding mower (the mowing deck had problems, reducing the price, and was removed and sold as scrap). He made two connection points, front and rear. Key start, no traction issues and works for pushing and pulling any distance.

There has been much discussion about winching into the hangar by the tail hook.

Harbour Freight hoist nailed to the back of my hanger. I sacrificed a long extension cord to rewire/extend the range of the hand controller so I can steer with the tow bar while operating the controller with the other hand. Been using it for a year now. This is how the previous owner of my bird got the Mooney in and out of the hanger and I simply copied his idea as my hanger also has an upslope. I personally inspected the tail ring attach area during my annual 2 months ago and did not see any evidence damage.

post-10018-13756264970731_thumb.jpg

I too use the harborfreight 400 pound hoist mounted to a 4 in piece of angle aluminum to the floor.  I bought a new section of 4 conductor cable for the remote so that I can reach the nosewheel (c 30 ft). My ramp is up hill about 1 foot over 15 feet.  Interesting that after 8 years the cable snapped on Thursday so I have to measure and get some new cable.

I can take some pictures if you'd like. The hoist is about 1/2 in above the floor so it stays dry in case of some severe rain with the door open.

I pushed the plane in ONCE, just to prove I could do it.  I even have a generator so that if power is out, I can get it in.

Bill

I used 120 volt electric winches and long extension cords for the controller for two uphill hangars for more than 16 years without problems, however I now use a RoboTow for my newest Mooney. I like being able to use the RoboTow to maneuver the aircraft outside the hangar, and line it up to and from taxi. The space between my current hangar and a line of parked aircraft is small, and I would need a tow bar, and a stronger back, if I didn't use the RoboTow. Posted. a photo on another thread about a week ago.

I have a Powertow and when there is any snow or ice it wont go up the grade to my hangar. Even slips on a dry hangar, my Mooney is 2020lbs (231).  If I where to do it again I think I would use the lawn Tractor method, at least I would have two wheels pushing.  Thats not to say its a bad product, may not do the job year round if you get alot of snow and ice.

Here's the hoist I use. It says 880 lb but that's with the line doubled.  I use single and 60 feet of 1/8 in  cable.

http://www.harborfreight.com/880-lb-electric-hoist-44006.html

Here's pictures of the installation with the 4 in angle aluminum (scrap yard find) and the 1x4 to keep it off the concrete.  The yellow strap is a strain releif for the remote control cable.

The remote cable was swapped with a 75 foot one.

Note how my hangar "neighbors" got power to their hangar !!

BILL

post-8267-0-85607300-1375656579_thumb.jp

post-8267-0-14879600-1375656583_thumb.jp

15 yrs ago I flew a 182 with a friend and he took me flying him lots because he couldn't move is plane back into the hangar alone so he bought a winch to pull it back in. Well........he was hesitant to yank around on the tie down ring so I made two hooks from nylon that hooked onto the main landing gear legs. I made a harness to pull evenly on each leg. It worked really good sort of...,,,he didn't take me flying NEAR as often. :-/

I have a friend that pulls his Cessna 340 into the hanger with the winch. He pulls the cable under the plane and pulls from the nose gear while steering with tow bar. Sounds strange but it works.

I do not think i would pull a mooney backwards from the nose wheel with a winch, It probably would not put any more force on it then normal operation but i would feel more comfortable pulling from the tail.   

I used a winch for several years without any problems or damage.  THe winch was cheap and worked great until I needed to put a second plane in the hangar and it wasn't just going straight back.  In fact, using the tail hook made it almost impossible to put the plane in wrong and damage the wings on the walls.  If all you need is help getting the plane in, I recommend it.

The winch option is what I'll look into further -- thanks to your input.  I've been using the "whip on wife-n-kids" and that's relatively effective...at getting me into the doghouse!  ;)  

It's those solo days when I have the issues getting her backed into the hangar.

• Like 1

I've had a Super Tow 2 for about 5 years and really only use it when I'm on my own, but it has a traction problem.  I couldn't recommend it to anybody because the towing cradle won't drive itself under the nosewheel as it is supposed to, because there is not enough traction. The main wheels will slip on any dry level surface be it cement or hardtop. 

The one good feature is the lazy suzan under the nosewheel that give great manouverability in tight spaces (you can spin 180 degrees on a dime) but you need to be very very alert.

As Hank mentioned in his post, I use an old riding lawn mower with the mower deck removed (basically free), I had bars and trailer hitches installed front and back($100). I can now push or pull the plane in and out of the hangar and across the airport for fuel. Very cheap ans versatile solution. Check my gallery for photos of the setup. Rainman

I still prefer the tried and true hanger wench :wub:

We all like a good hangar wench. But I've found that while they have many skills, pushing an airplane up-slope is not one of them. At least, not the hangar wenches that I prefer. :)