Ovation Find

My mission has changed recently that has me thinking of possibly moving from my M20J to an Ovation.  I came across a parked 1995 Ovation that is in good shape however it has not flown and the engine has not turned in five years.  Right when the economy took a dive the owner had just had painted prior and the engine reached TBO.  His mission changed too and he decided to not fly it.  After talking to the owner he believed it was not ferryable at all and that it would need a new engine before anything else.  That brings up lots of logistical issues around prebuys, etc but I think I could work through those things if the economics are right.  I know it will need tons of stuff.  Tires, shock disc, brakes, batteries, engine just to ferry it for more work and annual.  It needs updated avionics.  The exterior looks like new.

Can you think of anything else I should consider as I ponder this?  My thoughts are to perhaps get the plane, do the work then sell my M20J. 

Russ

Lottery? No. Mission? Recent business changes require over 60 gallons and 185 knots ain't bad either. Bumping around at 9K here in Texas puts you in the tops. And I don't want a turbo at this time.

No issue on the engine discount. The owner agrees.

I would seriously consider buying it as a run-out, because it is,

then put a factory re-man in it with a top prop. Because it needs an engine, and 310 HP is a nice way to get off the runway.

But that's just me... And other Ovations around here...

Then refinance the house at an incredibly low rate to pay for the plane... Because you can...

The Ovation is like a J, just bigger and faster... And carries more stuff...

Just my thoughts...

Best regards,

-a-

Lottery? No. Mission? Recent business changes require over 60 gallons and 185 knots ain't bad either. Bumping around at 9K here in Texas puts you in the tops. And I don't want a turbo at this time.

No issue on the engine discount. The owner agrees.

I'll make ya a nice deal on an M20K that I logged about 120 hours in during 2012 and quite a few more this year - just got a May annual signoff at Maxwell. :D

You won't have to sort out 5 years of cobwebs and you'll be up to 10,000 in less than 10 minutes.  Who cares about the turbo when the fuel savings will quickly eclipse any marginal extra maintenance B)

• Like 1

sounds like a much better deal to me..

One point to consider, if your new mission requires more than 60 gal. in a -J it will probably require more than 100 in an -R

Your mpg will drop from about 15 nmpg in the J to around 12 nmpg in the R

• Like 1

My recent research on the cost of a rebuild is between 26K and 46K. I suspect the low end to be too low and you'll end up with more costs that get tacked on. The high end is from Victor Aircraft and includes everything including a 10 year warranty (the first 5 years parts and labor-then pro-rated after that), with no surprises.( I went with Victor. In my former life (prior to law), I was a laser lab analyst in a materials testing lab, so Victor's testing, treating and balancing brochure made sense to me).  The typical cost is closer to 38K--without the labor of R/R. If I was selling a run-out, I'd discount the plane by 50k to keep it from just sitting

My recent research on the cost of a rebuild is between 26K and 46K. I suspect the low end to be too low and you'll end up with more costs that get tacked on. The high end is from Victor Aircraft and includes everything including a 10 year warranty (the first 5 years parts and labor-then pro-rated after that), with no surprises.( I went with Victor. In my former life (prior to law), I was a laser lab analyst in a materials testing lab, so Victor's testing, treating and balancing brochure made sense to me).  The typical cost is closer to 38K--without the labor of R/R. If I was selling a run-out, I'd discount the plane by 50k to keep it from just sitting

Thanks.  I am calculating a lot of money to get it airworthy including engine, prop overhaul, and good avionics.  Probably not one to bother with.