Bose A-20.........does anyone own a pair?

gregwatts

Don't buy the Bluetooth version, it does not play music through bluetooth like Lightspeeds. They're incredibly comfortable and quiet but I've had to go through three different modules in the year I've owned the pair. I am very gentle with my headsets and Bose has no clue why they keep failing. To note, even though they fail ANR still works but muting when intercom is on doesn't work anymore and I've heard of other people having consistent issues with them. I am looking at selling mine to get the Zulu 2's as my Zulus have been rock solid for the three years I've had them.

Are they worth $1100? My David Clarks work fine....but I am curious to hear some owner reviews. Thank you!

The Bose really is that much better than the David Clark. But for the same price as a David Clark, you can get a Halo which is even better than the Bose. I don't have any affiliation with any of these companies, but I'm just really happy I found the Halo. I just wish I didn't spend so much money on the Bose first to find a cheaper headset that is better.

The David Clark caused me fatigue (even when used to it) after 2 hours. The Bose I was comfortable with up to 4. The Halo I've worn for 8.5 hours non-stop and my ass hurt more from the seat than my head/ears from the headset.

I have two pairs of A20's a pair of Bose aviation X's and a set of the lightspeeds. When I fly, it's typically for more than two hours at a time. I don't have a very large head and find that the A20's aren't as comfortable as the previous model Tens for trips longer than four hours. The A20's sound better though. The lightspeeds are nice but I don't feel that the ANR in the lightspeeds are as good. They are quiet but seem to distort certain frequencies of sound that I like to hear (stall horn). Overall, I like the Bluetooth A20's the best. (That's why I have two sets) well worth the money. I have a couple sets of sigtronics,(for the kids small heads) and a pair of David Clark's h20. I always reach for the A20's..

I know a lot of guys around the airport that are students that can't afford the Bose in one shot. Bose has a nice payment plan to help out in that department. Check their website...

The Bose really is that much better than the David Clark. But for the same price as a David Clark, you can get a Halo which is even better than the Bose. I don't have any affiliation with any of these companies, but I'm just really happy I found the Halo. I just wish I didn't spend so much money on the Bose first to find a cheaper headset that is better.

The David Clark caused me fatigue (even when used to it) after 2 hours. The Bose I was comfortable with up to 4. The Halo I've worn for 8.5 hours non-stop and my ass hurt more from the seat than my head/ears from the headset.

I have seen your comments on the other thread for this headset. I have a pair of iPod headsets with the foam inserts. Really like them. I did not see any mention of how well the mic works on it. Any issues there? As we all know, it is the other half of the equation.

Whatever works for you that you can afford is fine. Just test them for as much time as you can before plucking down your hard earned bucks.

To make a blanket statement that any brand is 'the best' for everyone is absurd.

Oh yeah....I really enjoy my BOSE, which I paid $750 for when new.

I still use the Bose series II's I was given in 1995. Love them. I have two pairs of the Bose Aviation X I acquired in my travels. I prefer the series II's. they are heavier, but way more comfortable. I have some QC15 headphones too, and those are very comfortable. I think I'm going to buy a microphone for them and use those from here on out. I would love to try the A20's, but they are expensive. Still going for $650 on eBay.

Wow, over 1 AMU just for a pair of headphones.

Hey, you're a Mooney pilot. Treat yourself well, or no one else will. Didn't you guys spend 20 AMU's 'just' for a GPS and a GPSS?

After that, maybe the only communications gear you could afford:tin-can-telephone.jpg

;)

I have the invoice in front of me from Sarasota. It reads $18,452, which included the GTN, GPSS, AERA 510 and repairs to the transponder and KAP 150.

I'm not sure why I keep getting hammered on this, we priced a 530W just weeks before the GTN was announced and the total came in within $1,500.

But one thing is for sure, I would not have gone this route had the upgrade not been split among the four of us.

What you fail to mention is that the above cost is before trade-in allowances. :o

It was all worthless early 80's equipment such as the ADF and the KNS-80. Add to the mix that all of the display's had become delaminated and an odd color orange.

Just as with new car sales, where the dealer gives you an "unbelievable" allowance on your old trade-in, they are merely lowering the cost of the car and shipping the jalopy to the wrecking yard. Same with avionics shops.

It was all worthless early 80's equipment such as the ADF and the KNS-80. Add to the mix that all of the display's had become delaminated and an odd color orange.

Just as with new car sales, where the dealer gives you an "unbelievable" allowance on your old trade-in, they are merely lowering the cost of the car and shipping the jalopy to the wrecking yard. Same with avionics shops.

You should of had them throw in a couple of BOSE headsets, gratis of course :P

So how much does installation and taxes add to your invoice? ;)

You should of had them throw in a couple of BOSE headsets, gratis of course :P

So how much does installation and taxes add to your invoice? ;)

That was the invoice total. Taxes amounted < $100, which was probably for supplies. As you know, FLA exempts sales tax on avionics upgrades. And a good thing it does.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="flyboy0681" data-cid="85197" data-time="1356720149"><p>

<br />

It was all worthless early 80's equipment such as the ADF and the KNS-80. Add to the mix that all of the display's had become delaminated and an odd color orange.<br />

<br />

Just as with new car sales, where the dealer gives you an "unbelievable" allowance on your old trade-in, they are merely lowering the cost of the car and shipping the jalopy to the wrecking yard. Same with avionics shops.</p></blockquote>

My KNS-80 is hardly worthless. Easier to use and see for DME than my 430W. I find it makes for a great DME and backup ILS Reciever....

My KNS-80 is hardly worthless. Easier to use and see for DME than my 430W. I find it makes for a great DME and backup ILS Reciever....

Not worthless as in it has no use or function. I meant worthless as in it has no value on the used market. These units can be bought now for $500.

I have the A20 in the pilot's seat, and Bose X's elsewhere.  I love the A20, very quiet and comfortable.  I bought the bluetooth, not to stream music (which I can load onto my panel) but to be able to make phone calls to clearance delivery at nontowered airports.  Before the Bose, I would have to stuff the cell phone under one earmuff to get my clearance, and even then it would be difficult to hear FSS and for them to hear me with the engine running.  With the bluetooth it is crystal clear. 

to me the Bose A-20 seemed comaprable to the Zulu.2.  I got my wife a Zulu.2 a year ago and I just got one myself. I traded in a telex ANR and the total was 700$, which is enough of a discount to sway me to get it over the Bose. We just flew a 6 hour leg with it and it is pretty comfortable.

I put 6,000 hours on a Bose X and the wishbone struts kept breaking. More maddening that that was Bose's flat rate "recert" repair, 250$.  I had it fixed three times.

I have the "X" and also the A20's personally I prefer the 20's the bluetooth is handy but a grand is still a lot of dough in my mind. I was lucky and recieved the 20's as a gift. I would like to try some of those earplug things I've been wondering how those work.

Try a set of Halos from Quiet Technologies in Mississippi. Phil is on this board somewhere, he is a fellow Mooniac [b-model?] and a nice guy when I met him at Sun-n-Fun last year after the tornado. There's a whole thread about these elsewhere, too. Some people use the foam inserts, I prefer the silicone ones [similar to what I wear shooting and used to wear at work].