IO 390 STC'd for our Mooneys

Not sure how well this ones going to go over...I personally wouldn't spend $48,500 for a new engine on my 65E that's probably worth less than that in todays market.

Owners of older Mooneys now have a new option when it's time for an engine overhaul. Lycoming recently received the FAA OK to replace the original IO-360 Lycoming engine in Mooney M20E, M20F and M20J models with a new or remanufactured IO-390-A3A6 engine. The engine provides more horsepower as well as improved climb and cruise performance, while maintaining the same footprint as the IO-360 engine, Lycoming says. The new STC shows the company's commitment to legacy aircraft, says Dennis Racine, Lycoming director of marketing and program management. About 50 service centers across the country have been authorized to complete the installations.

The STC includes a new or rebuilt IO-390-A3A6, the Slick Start System and required documentation. In addition, Hartzell has certified both two-blade and three-blade propellers for the STC. List price of the new IO-390 is $48,500, or $36,100 for the rebuilt engine, according to AOPA. Meanwhile, Mooney is trying to entice new buyers with financing at 2.99 percent for the first four years, for those who qualify. The company is also offering a leaseback option.

I think its been said before, but...

For that kind of money it seems that one would be ahead by doing a conventional overhaul of an IO360 and then doing some sort of aftermarket turbonormalizer. In terms of bang for the buck I think that would yield a lot more capability and performance to an NA mooney owner.

With that said, I have no idea what the status of (approved) aftermarket turbochargers & relevant accessories for a typical mooney. I have seen them installed or for sale on occasion, though.

Quote: Immelman

For that kind of money it seems that one would be ahead by doing a conventional overhaul of an IO360 and then doing some sort of aftermarket turbonormalizer. In terms of bang for the buck I think that would yield a lot more capability and performance to an NA mooney owner.

Hope I live long enough to see an electric motor in my Mooney. 100% power all the way to space, no exhaust noise, no vibration, no messy oil stains, no compression checks, no EGTs, no pricey AVGAS. Boy I am going to miss all these stuff. I believe this is the last century for combustion motors. Wait for the 200Kw brushless 1000volts motor with an overhaul cost of $1000 (bearings replacement) and TBOs of over 5000 hours or more. Who needs an IO-390?

José 

Quote: Piloto

Hope I live long enough to see an electric motor in my Mooney. 100% power all the way to space, no exhaust noise, no vibration, no messy oil stains, no compression checks, no EGTs, no pricey AVGAS. Boy I am going to miss all these stuff. I believe this is the last century for combustion motors. Wait for the 200Kw brushless 1000volts motor with an overhaul cost of $1000 (bearings replacement) and TBOs of over 5000 hours or more. Who needs an IO-390?

José 

Quote: Piloto

José 

Conventional chemical batteries may not be the solution but something more practical like fuel cells. I grew-up in an era were vacuum tubes were king, good pictures are only taken on film, big TVs always had big rear ends, cars manual transmission was standard, you text someone with a Wester Union telegram and toy planes always had propellers. Just hope to see when people used to die before 100!!

José

• 1 year later...

You would really have to love your C and not want anything else.

In otherwords, with the money to invest in an IO-390, + the value of your run-out C, = other nicer airplane.....

If you love your C and don't want anything else, the IO-390 would be a very nice upgrade.....Add autopilot, Aspen and Garmin 430w, while you are at it.....

New paint and revised instrument panel, and she will be the belle of the M20C ball......

- a -

Two words....Warp Drive!

OK, fantasy aside, I could see someone with an engine that had several overhauls under its belt and a lot of hours going for the IO-390. Biggest hitch is that the thing has to be installed at a Lycoming master service center or whatever they call them.

The local one to me knew nothing about the STC and never called back with the info they were supposed to get. I guess they have too much work to be bothered. I like the idea of the roller lifters but unless I'm misinformed Lycoming is installing them in all their engines now so it's really nothing extra over rebuilding the IO-360

The real problem as I see it is that you aren't going to know some of this until you have things apart. You get the prop off and send it in and a couple days later you get the "got so bad news" call. You get the engine apart for an overhaul and find out the tappet holes in your cases are going to need rework @ $xxx a hole...it gets to be a deal where you wish you had taken the plunge in the first place but you didn't think you were going to get to this position. Ah the joys of aircraft ownership.

I think the roller tappets are a good thing for the most part but you need to realize that if you have a prop strike they all get to be replaced as a precaution..$$$$