Mooney down at East Hampton

jackn

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote: mooneysteve

It wasnt an attempt to turn back to the runway, it was attempt to flatten out and make it to a safe landing area, which didnt happen, so it was put into the trees as flat as possible. How do I know this..........it was me and we are both alive.

We are still in the hospital. Stoney Brook, nice people. even gave me a laptop to use. We are pretty banged up, I mostly from carrying my bride through the woods. For the record, nobody got us out of the plane, I unbelted my bride, removed her from the the plane as it was burning and carried her through the woods until a safe distance. If I had waited for the "hero from the web\news" we would be f#ckin toast. Im no hero, just doing my job, wanting to live another day.

Quote: aviatoreb

I have seen that video.  Very ugly.  That does not look like a survivable crash and since in this case both pilots survived, I was guessing that they did not attempt the turn back with the inevitable low altitude nose dive such as in the video.

Since they both survived I am sure a clear story will emerge.

We are still in the hospital. Stoney Brook, nice people. even gave me a laptop to use. We are pretty banged up, I mostly from carrying my bride through the woods. For the record, nobody got us out of the plane, I unbelted my bride, removed her from the the plane as it was burning and carried her through the woods until a safe distance. If I had waited for the "hero from the web\news" we would be f#ckin toast. Im no hero, just doing my job, wanting to live another day.

Been there done that Steve.  You did a great job.  We all walked out too in 2003.  Five trees down and us amongst them.  I feel your pain!  Glad we both did it in a Mooney....Texas strong.  Best wishes to your bride too!

Never believe what the media is selling and never judge another by what has been reported.

According to the media, I died in a Cessna 172 in 1978 in a neighboring state during a weekend trip.  To say the least, my coworkers and boss were speechless when I walked through the door three days later.  

I didn't even know I was dead until they told me!  

Steve, I wish you and your wife a speedy recovery.  Having escaped a burning plane myself, the best thing is to get back in the air as soon as possible.  

Best regards!!!

Good job Steve and speedy recovery for you both. You're likely to go over this event a million times in your head and I hope you can get some distance from it as quick as possible. Sort of a PTSD. It doesn't just happen to soldiers. I pray that all goes well for you both. I sounds like you did as best as possible in the circumstances. Sometimes it doesn't just end up a gentle glide back to the runway.

Sad, bitter truth about flying GA.

I'm really glad my wife doesn't read the flying forums I go to. Bad enough the news media reports a plane crash nearly everyday.

Glad to hear you and your bride are going to be alright.  And from a bunch of pilots to another--give yourself a break.  Try not to worry about what you did or didn't do.  What you "did" is walk a way from something a lot of folks failed to do in similar situations.  Great job and a speedy recovery to you both.