Let's Talk Lubrication

BigTex

Hi Byron, the thread got me thinking again about the lube for the actuator.

The MLG actuator mentions Aeroshell 5 with the 10% moly B or Mil-prf-23827 which is Aeroshell 7.

Now Aeroshell 33 and Aeroshell 7 have similar mil spec numbers. Except the 33 has a "C" at the end of it and they are type 1 and type 2 greases. Wich can't be mixed...

So according to the MM we could just use A/S 7 in the actuator??

Thoughts? I know you recommend the Lasar mix solution, but just needed a refresher! Actually bought a small grease gun for the mix option, but have several guns already full of 7.

Thanks!!

-Matt

You need the Moly Disulfide mixed into the grease. Instead of using a grase gun, use the Dukes mix or mix your own per the SMM, load it into a 2oz horse syringe, remove the grease zerk and the top bolt, and inject that into the actuator.

First annual, I disassembled the actuator an inspected the gears per the service instruction. the red grease (probably Mobil 28) on the grease zerk tipped me off that it was contaminated. The gears are not available and are not durable with the wrong grease. For example, the Maxwell article shows how small they are, the round gear is the size of a quarter and the actuator produces 800 FTLB of linear force.

After you are sure the gears are good, and the grease is the proper stuff, you can check its full at each annual or every 200 hrs.

• 1 month later...

My plane in in the annual right now (owner assisted). This is my gear actuator - do we need to take this off and disassemble it to add grease to it, or is this a newer actuator that does not need it? It seems quite difficult to take take it off and disassemble it. The service manual is not helpful. The airplane is 1989 J model.

Thanks guys

Stefan

post-8980-0-09362200-1409540562_thumb.jp

Recent MAPA log has article from Jerry Manthay advising not to use tri-flow on the control hinges as they are sealed and it has solvents in them that can cause the seal to rupture. It had some other general lube information as well.

Hmmm, I'm interested in reading that article, I have a 62 C model and my control hinges are just the standard hinge. Anybody have any info on the sealed hinge assembly? I'm not sure I see a benefit compared to the cost and the possibility of binding caused by the breakdown of the seal.

Brian

My 64 C has a regular roller bearing with an inner race that is basically a bushing longer than the width of the bearing for the hinge "ears" to squeeze onto as the bolt is tightened. Had my tail controls off, slid the bushings out, cleaned the roller bearings with sprayed WD40 while I spun a brass gun brush in the bearing to force out decades of old dried oil and such. Then squeezed new lube into the rollers with a dowel and reassembled. The bushings  rotated MUCH smoother and easier after that treatment. Prior to cleaning the bushings would hardly turn. 

Contrary to popular belief,  WD40 is not a good lubricant. It's a great degreaser. It was designed as a "WATER DISPLACING " fluid (hence 'WD" in the name). It was the 40th formulation of the chemist and was designed to displace water in electrical controls on missiles. It is a penetrating fluid NOT a lubricating fluid. Not really a good choice or "technically"  legal to use on our rod ends for lubrication. Tri-flow or other 100% silicone fluids are much better. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have done a lot of searching and found a lot of references to MIL-G-3278 being superceeded by MILG-23827C (Aaeroshell 7 non lithium or Aeroshell 33 lithium {prefered}) but no actual documentation. The only specific reference I can find to connect the two MIL SPEC numbers is contained in the specifications for Royco 27. Does anyone have source that would satisfy a FSDO field inspector? I do not know if I am being too much of a by the book mechanic but in that my certificate is my livelyhood I do not like to take the slightest risk.

I finally found the documentation connecting MIL-G-3278 to MIL-G-23827 Aeroshell 7, lithium and Aeroshell 33, molybdenum disulfide. The document can be downloaded from http://everyspec.com/MIL-SPECS/MIL-SPECS-MIL-G/MIL-G-3278A_NOTICE-1_8202/ I only wish I knew how to post it directly onto this forum. I suguest that everyone print a copy and add it to your aircraft documentation in case any question ever arises. To me the big surprise is that MIL SPEC G-3278 was cancelled as of 07/10/61 which means it was obsolete when the mooney service manual was published.

• 5 months later...

The control hinge bearings are just that the hinges on the ailerons, elevator and rudder. They are machined brackets with little sealed ball bearings. Some lubricants may degrade the rubber seals on the little bearings. A little light oil will seep into the sealed bearings and freshen up the 50 year old grease.

• Like 1

There is a mil spec cross reference.  http://dovesnestfarm.com/wordpress/milspeccrossref.pdf     I think most mil spec stuff is mineral oil with different colored dyes.  Water Displacement-40 is not what I would put in the lubricant catagory.  Sometimes a good cleaner though when you need to flush things out.    What I have noticed about the Liquid Wrench Silicone spray is it makes a pretty good cleaner of old oil and grease.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry to keep asking, but I was looking at oils for the control surface hinges. Would something like 3 in 1 oil or air compressor oil be good? or would you use a low viscosity motor oil like 5w20?

Flight control bearings were greased at manufacturer not oiled. To be correct the control,surface should be removed and the bearings regressed with something like the ACS Bearing Regreaser from Spruce, p/n 10650-4.

Clarence