Let's Talk Lubrication

BigTex

I recently was reviewing the service manual for my '65 M20C and they have a whole laundry list of lubricates and grease that they recommend.  This got be to thinking about what today's products translate to these 40+ year old recommendations?  I'm assuming with the quality of today's products, do we need to have this many of unique products or can they be combined?

Here's the list of the MM:

• Low Temperature Oil (General Purpose) MIL-L-7870
  • MIL-G-7711 or MIL-G-81322 Grease
  • Grease (High Temperature) MIL-L-3545
  • MIL-G-23827 or Hartzell DG Grease
  • Hydraulic Fluid (Red) MIL-H-5606
  • Graphite & Kerosene
  • Graphite & MIL-G-3278 Grease or MIL-G-23827
  • Powdered Graphite
  • Teflon Spray (Tri-Flon)
  • Stick Lubricant (Door Ease or Equivalent)
  • Standard Oil Aviation Grease No. 5 w/10% BV Molybdenum Disulfide or MIL-G-23827 AM1
  • Lubriplate 630AA (10% BV Molybdenum Disulfide Mixture Permissible)
  • Seal Dressing

If I were to open up your lubrication cabinet what would I find that would translate to the above products listed in Mooney's lubrication guide?

better to put more catching names like LOP or bladders or more sexy names like garmin and aspen if you want attention on this forum ....

back to your question... apart from the case of engine oil, i keep a can of tri- flo, a can of corrosion x and mil spec aero shell grease

• Like 1

Quote: BigTex

I recently was reviewing the service manual for my '65 M20C and they have a whole laundry list of lubricates and grease that they recommend.  This got be to thinking about what today's products translate to these 40+ year old recommendations?  I'm assuming with the quality of today's products, do we need to have this many of unique products or can they be combined?

Here's the list of the MM:

Low Temperature Oil (General Purpose) MIL-L-7870   Aeroshell Fluid 3 mineral oil

MIL-G-7711 or MIL-G-81322 Grease            Aeroshell grease 6 or grease 22 (GP airframe grease, 22 is thickened)

Grease (High Temperature) MIL-L-3545       Aeroshell grease 5  (wheel bearings)

MIL-G-23827 or Hartzell DG Grease            Aeroshell grease 33  (General purpose airframe grease, contains lithium)

Hydraulic Fluid (Red) MIL-H-5606           5606 but the newest is 73282, which is fire resistant ans miscible with 5606 and all compatible hardware

Graphite & Kerosene

Graphite & MIL-G-3278 Grease or MIL-G-23827

Powdered Graphite

Teflon Spray (Tri-Flow)    use on all rod ends in the control and LG system, and in door locks.

Stick Lubricant (Door Ease or Equivalent)

Standard Oil Aviation Grease No. 5 w/10% BV Molybdenum Disulfide or MIL-G-23827 AM1  Buy this from LASAR for 15$ per 4oz jar. It is grease with moly disulfide powder mixed in 10% minimum. You cannot get this at an auto parts store. It is not available anywhere else. Do not skimp on this, it goes in your landing gear actuator gears which, if 40:1, are not available for any price.

Lubriplate 630AA (10% BV Molybdenum Disulfide Mixture Permissible)

Seal Dressing

If I were to open up your lubrication cabinet what would I find that would translate to the above products listed in Mooney's lubrication guide?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I have a McCauley prop.  No grease fittings. It contains a red dyed oil in the hub.

For yours I would read the latest info from hartzell. Some greases are thickened with silica or clay and you may or may not want that.  this beechtalk thread says they use Aeroshell 6 from 1989, and not to mix with 5.   

http://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=57482&p=580891&hilit=hartzell+grease+aeroshell#p580891

"Propeller Owner's Manual 115N

C. Approved Lubricants (1) The following lubricants are approved for use in Hartzell compact propellers:

Aeroshell 6 - Recommended "all purpose" grease. Used in most new production propellers since 1989. Higher leakage/oil separation than Aeroshell 5 at higher temperatures (approximately 100°F [38°C]).

Aeroshell 5 - Good high temperature qualities, very little oil separation or leakage. Cannot be used in temperatures colder than -40°F (-40°C).
Aircraft serviced with this grease must be placarded to indicate that flight is prohibited if the outside air temperature is less than -40°F (-40°C)"

• Like 1

Being from Texas, I would lean toward Aeroshell 5 as it appears handle hot Texas summer months better than 6.  I don't think -40 is an issue and if it was, I'd do what John Deakin recommends and move.

• Like 1

I was scared to click on this thread! I'm so relieved its about oil. You guys that can work on and fix their own airplanes are my heros. I'd be afraid to remove the cowl. In my case is better left to the professionals.

• Haha 1

Don't mix your prop grease! The Service Manual has specific instructions on this point, and what to do if you want to change the grease in it [or just don't know]. Fortunately, my prop has a sticker with the grease number [5 or 6, I don't remember] so that I don't put the wrong stuff in.

I am a big fan of Tri-Flow, and my next order will include a small can for around the house. Just make sure the straw is pushed all the way in--I shot one across the hangar lubing my gear once and never found it. It is much smaller than the red WD-40 spray tubes. I like to hit everything that moves with Tri-Flow while she's open for annual, and redo control surface hinges outside from time to time.

The landing gear actuator is where strict adherance to the proper grease with 10% minimum molybdenum disulfide powder, 100 hr schedule, and procedure is critical.  Its all in Mooney SB m20-112A.  Your landing gear operatig loads are transferred through a gear the size of a quarter, and that actuator develops 800 pounds of linear force. Those actuator gears are extremely rare and expensive.  A failure of that gearset and your airplane is landing on its belly, as the emergency system uses the same gearset.

Someone on Mapalist was using auto parts store "moly grease" which in no way is the same thing. Then he wanted to argue about how "grease is grease" when confronted with the facts.   OK.  End.   rant.   

Bruce, you, as the owner, are primarily responsible for airworthiness. Not the mechanic.  If you are afraid to open the cowl, then you cannot accurately perform that determination. Get with an A&P and get familiar with everything under the cowling, and at the annual,  familiar with everything else.   it really is quite simply and easy to unerstand.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

Looking into Tri-Flow.... I see a handful or more of Tri-Flow lubricants can anyone expand on which one or ones they specifically recommend.

I can locate at least 4 or more versions of Tri-Flow with PTFE...  Are they all the same and do I need other Tri-Flow products?

Examples:

PTFE Lubricant, Container Type Aerosol Can, Size 16 oz., Temp. Range -60 to 475 Degrees F, NSF H2

Features: -Lubricant.-Great for all surfaces that slide, glide, roll, turn, twist, spin, or pivot.-Contains micron sized particles made from Teflon.-Shields against rust and corrosion.-Penetrates and frees frozen mechanism.-12 oz aerosol.

• Like 1

Quote: co2bruce

I was scared to click on this thread! I'm so relieved its about oil. You guys that can work on and fix their own airplanes are my heros. I'd be afraid to remove the cowl. In my case is better left to the professionals.

In prison they use Aeroshell 5.

Bruce, you, as the owner, are primarily responsible for airworthiness. Not the mechanic.  If you are afraid to open the cowl, then you cannot accurately perform that determination. Get with an A&P and get familiar with everything under the cowling, and at the annual,  familiar with everything else.   it really is quite simply and easy to unerstand. You owe it to yourself, your family, and your passengers.

Ditto

Have your mechanic show you how to lubricate you airplane.  It is easy and you get to know it better.

Looking into Tri-Flow.... I see a handful or more of Tri-Flow lubricants can anyone expand on which one or ones they specifically recommend.

I can locate at least 4 or more versions of Tri-Flow with PTFE...  Are they all the same and do I need other Tri-Flow products?

Examples:

PTFE Lubricant, Container Type Aerosol Can, Size 16 oz., Temp. Range -60 to 475 Degrees F, NSF H2

Features: -Lubricant.-Great for all surfaces that slide, glide, roll, turn, twist, spin, or pivot.-Contains micron sized particles made from Teflon.-Shields against rust and corrosion.-Penetrates and frees frozen mechanism.-12 oz aerosol.

LLL, this is the one I use.   http://www.triflowlubricants.com/Tri-Flow_Superior_Aerosol_Lubricant.html

Triflow is awesome. You can get it at Ace Hardware, or at a lock shop.  They abandoned graqphite powder for this stuff.  

I ended up buying a teflon spray off amazon.  I wasn't sure if the Lowe's stuff was the same.  I applied grease to my retractable step before I read the service manual.  It collected so much dirt and grit that my step starting getting stuck in the retracted position.

• 1 year later...

I am going to lube my M20R zerk fittings and cannot find anything in my Service Manual indicating how many and where they are.  I believe there are a couple up high in the main gear that requires an extension on the grease gun.  Also I am thinking I would like to put those nice little caps on each zerk.  Does anyone know how many zerks there are and where they are?  I have searched through all of my documentation and cannot find lubrication specific articles.  Aeroshell M22 I believe is required.

Thanks,

Russ

For general lubrication I use WD-40. Many in the boating segment buy it by the boxes. A very effective lubricant in corrosive environments. It was first developed for nuclear missiles. See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40

If it is good for nuclear missiles it should be good enough for my M20J. 

Jose

I am going to lube my M20R zerk fittings and cannot find anything in my Service Manual indicating how many and where they are.  I believe there are a couple up high in the main gear that requires an extension on the grease gun.  Also I am thinking I would like to put those nice little caps on each zerk.  Does anyone know how many zerks there are and where they are?  I have searched through all of my documentation and cannot find lubrication specific articles.  Aeroshell M22 I believe is required.

Thanks,

Russ

My C has eight (8) on each main leg, and eleven (11) on the nose. I like to poke around and find them all, then clean them, then count along as I lube. Aeroshell 22 works, as does either 5 or 6, I forget which. My grease gun is 433 nm away right now, or I'd check.

• Like 2

Hi Byron, the thread got me thinking again about the lube for the actuator.

The MLG actuator mentions Aeroshell 5 with the 10% moly B or Mil-prf-23827 which is Aeroshell 7.

Now Aeroshell 33 and Aeroshell 7 have similar mil spec numbers. Except the 33 has a "C" at the end of it and they are type 1 and type 2 greases. Wich can't be mixed...

So according to the MM we could just use A/S 7 in the actuator??

Thoughts? I know you recommend the Lasar mix solution, but just needed a refresher! Actually bought a small grease gun for the mix option, but have several guns already full of 7.

Thanks!!

-Matt

• 2 weeks later...