NEW AD ISSUED FOR M20B,C,D,E,F,G,J,K,L,M,R,S,TN

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote: rainman

I took off the panels and my local A&P walked over and looked at it (he had read the AD and SB and had already done someone elses, and I had the flashlight and mirror handy). He filled out the paperwork, and I put the panels back on. 0.25 hours! I mailed the card back in to Mooney in case they are building a database. My plane (1979 M20K) had the correct assembly order of the hinges/spacer/plates and no loose or deformed huckbolts. Easy. Ray

Jim<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I think I found the reason for the filler plate. Notice on my 1982 M20J picture that the hinge of the

movable plate is flat with a small lobe toward the top while the one on the SB

is totally round. If my movable plate moves 45 up the hinge lobe would be in

contact with the bulkhead and force the hinge bracket huckbolt to pull out. But

the filler plate prevents the lobe from getting in contact with the bulkhead.

This pull out condition would happen when trim is adjusted all the way up like

when coming in with forward CG and full flaps down or when flaring with the

trim and not the elevator.

It appears that the filler plate is only required with certain

hinges. There is also the possibility of debris getting between the hinge and

the bulkhead and jamming it. In either case the filler plate proper location

prevents the hinge lobe or debris from pulling out the hinge bracket.

Service Bulletin http://www.mooney.com/images/pdfs/sb-pdf/m20_313a.pdf

Jos

post-66-13468140911329_thumb.jpg

Quote: tony

Compliance is not the issue, it’s the unwarranted oversight. I'm convinced if Delta or American was an owner/operator of a M20 airframe which was in revenue generating service, the time of compliance would not have been the next ten hours. I really would love to see the analysis that shows the probably of occurrence, of another aircraft in the fleet with this manufacturing flaw and ity had the exact same failure mode was greater than 1x10e-9 (I’m assuming that a catastrophic event for a FAR 23 aircraft is the same as a FAR 25). That’s what this AD implies. That the chances my M20F with 5000 hours on my airframe is greater than 1x10e-9 that I'm going to fall out of the sky because of a manufacturing flaw that would have occurred 40 years.  Doesn’t that sound ridiculous?

A realistic time of compliance might be at the next annual or within the next twelve months, not the next ten flight hours.

Raymond

I e-mailed my A&P the AD note and the Service Bullitin for his info. I am sure that they have access to all of these also. We discussed the possibility of this last weekend. First chance that I get, I will pull the inspection plates, have him stop by, Inspect and I will reinstall the inspection plates. I prefer not to pay $75.00 an hour to operate a screwdriver or cordless drill. I will lubricate any joints again while I am in there and then reinstall the inspection plates. My annual was just completed Feb. 1st. We both know that the Huck bolts get inspected every annual, and I already inspected the spacer for my own piece of mind several weeks ago.

If you can, try to be very active in your maintenance, it saves money and can heilp if you have a problem away from home.

Ron

As you folks inspected the attachment, I was wondering if you noticed how much travel does that push-rod in the U cut makes.

The push-rod is in the lower position when the plane is trimmed down and higher posotion when the plane is trimmed up.

Wondering how far from the bottom of the U the rod needs to be when the plane is fullu trimmed down   

I'm glad to report that my Mooney passed her AD inspection today with "flying" colors!!!  Everything was assembled correctly and there has been no movement of her huck bolts.  To celebrate, we went flying...

Lawsuit! Class-action! Punitive Damages! You've heard it all. But as a trial attorney that would sue the company that manufacturers my own plane if due regard for safety were delayed and caused a foreseeable and preventable injury or death, I will tell you with absolute certainty-- a company that steps up and grounds it's own fleet without regard to anything the bean-counters have to say is a company that no jury will never vilify. Attorneys have a duty, as fiduciaries, to "diligently pursue the interests of their clients without regard to personal attacks or interests." I won't engage in a battle of wits with those of you that would enter the field unarmed and assault my duties to folks that have lost loved ones, so please understand the anticipated silence forthcoming. However, this courageous AD proves to our community what we know in our guts when we fly, inspect, and truly get to know our aircraft; in a day where the the best personal aircraft ever produced stands with baited breath for an economic return to viability in production, we know, that the people in Kerrville believe in us and the integrity of their aircraft beyond any short term profits or temporary image in a 24 hour news cycle.

If other companies acted so quickly, and with the real " big picture" in sight (human lives) you'd run out of product liability attorneys (aka "safety lawyers") faster than a Mooney chews up runway when flown by a Bonanza pilot. Just my .02...

Quote: N1026F

Lawsuit! Class-action! Punitive Damages! You've heard it all. But as a trial attorney that would sue the company that manufacturers my own plane if due regard for safety were delayed and caused a foreseeable and preventable injury or death, I will tell you with absolute certainty-- a company that steps up and grounds it's own fleet without regard to anything the bean-counters have to say is a company that no jury will never vilify. Attorneys have a duty, as fiduciaries, to "diligently pursue the interests of their clients without regard to personal attacks or interests." I won't engage in a battle of wits with those of you that would enter the field unarmed and assault my duties to folks that have lost loved ones, so please understand the anticipated silence forthcoming. However, this courageous AD proves to our community what we know in our guts when we fly, inspect, and truly get to know our aircraft; in a day where the the best personal aircraft ever produced stands with baited breath for an economic return to viability in production, we know, that the people in Kerrville believe in us and the integrity of their aircraft beyond any short term profits or temporary image in a 24 hour news cycle.

If other companies acted so quickly, and with the real " big picture" in sight (human lives) you'd run out of product liability attorneys (aka "safety lawyers") faster than a Mooney chews up runway when flown by a Bonanza pilot. Just my .02...

• 2 weeks later...

N721LP......all good. Passed with "flying" colors also. $80 for peace of mind. I'd say it's worth it. But I certainly do hope this doesn't become habit forming. We are already having troubles gettin 100LL here at KAVL. Don't need any more troubles.

I don't understand what the big fuzz is all about. Two panels, 15 minutes (use a drill and it might be half the time) and a flashlight. It's not like you have to change a crankshaft.

I think this, like all ADs involves an examination of a combination of cost and risk. If somone loses a wing on a Cessna and they issue an AD for Mooneys that costs $10,000 to comply, you bet I will be upset. If they find 25 Mooneys that crashed for lack of checking the widget bolt, and it costs $40 to comply, I have no problem at all. This particular one is very unlikely to affect any one of us individually, but on the other hand, the cost is minimal. It's a close call, but I was not too upset about it.

Officially, there have been three. There is one more which I don't think has been officially examined yet. There is some question as to whether the filler plate is missing or not, but the huck bolts have been replaced