Garmin G5 Battery Recall

PT20J

10 minutes ago, Woodpile said:

It seems to be tough to accept that the same problem was caused by faulty hardware worthy of recall, but now it is just caused by software. Time will tell.

Sometimes it boils down to a software fix that works on *most* hardware revisions.    That said, I'm a little surprised that certified flight-critical electronics are allowed to make hardware changes that change behavior that significantly without recertification.    But, allegedly, Garmin does a lot of "in-house" certification like Boeing did, so, hmmm...  ;) 

• PT20J changed the title to Garmin G5 Battery Recall
  • 3 weeks later...

I installed V8, but the problem doesn't show up very often. Obviously, if I never see it again, I am fine. Garmin is working with me now and I have sent them 2 data logs from the G5, by their request. They also asked for the battery ID. I'll chime in more if I hear anything.

14 minutes ago, 201Steve said:

Any insight on this matter for someone like myself, who had an affected unit, but sent it in for exchange previous to the SB? What are the chances Garmin reimburses those costs?

I feel for you Steve.  I did not have the serial number of my unit in my Journey Log (it was in the tech log), so I called the shop and asked them to check their records.  Mine is not on the list, but the serial number of my unit is now in my Journey Log (required document for Canadian registered aircraft).  I am good, but I recognise that not everyone will be so lucky.

Hope it works out for you.

• 6 months later...
4 hours ago, wildduk said:

Woodpile,

Did you ever get this cleared up?   We exchanged our units and one of the exchanged units still has some weird battery draining issues…. We exchanged the battery thinking maybe that was the issue but no luck…

How long ago did you do the exchange? I thought Garmin had purged all the problematic units from stock. I need to get mine fixed on warranty because of a mechanical issue with the micro SD slot.

Skip

• 3 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, DCarlton said:

Any updates on this thread?  I was starting to consider a G5 and then read this again. Not looking for more maintenance issues especially behind the panel.  Folks still having trouble ?  

I had 2 installed 3 years ago and they’re great.  Zero maintenance. K.O.W.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2022 at 8:37 AM, wildduk said:

We exchanged the recalled units in 2/22.   But now one of our units is acting like the problem wasn’t fixed.   
Shows 100% while flying.   Then as soon as you shut down it goes to 96%.   Then trickles down from there while not in use.   

I had my g5 AI replaced for this reason before the recall. They replaced it with a recalled unit. Same issue. I took the new one in for another recall exchange, same issue. Still. Now the 3rd G5, still draining. Everyone pointing the finger. Going to have to ramp up the attitude, it seems. What a mess. HSI has been fine!! Just the ai. 

luckily, it’s not a flight affecting problem unless it sits long enough to drain completely, then the battery kills itself. Can’t charge a totally dead G5 battery. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, 201Steve said:

I had my g5 AI replaced for this reason before the recall. They replaced it with a recalled unit. Same issue. I took the new one in for another recall exchange, same issue. Still. Now the 3rd G5, still draining. Everyone pointing the finger. Going to have to ramp up the attitude, it seems. What a mess. HSI has been fine!! Just the ai. 

luckily, it’s not a flight affecting problem unless it sits long enough to drain completely, then the battery kills itself. Can’t charge a totally dead G5 battery. 

I’m curious, are you turning it off manually with the button or just letting it countdown when you turn off the master?

201 Steve,  I think it was you that responded to my wife’s Garmin FB post.   We are having they exact same issues.   I sent a PM so we could compare notes.  

We replaced both units due to the recall.  2 months later the HSI quit working.  Replaced that under warranty.     Now one unit will trickle down the battery when bot in use.   Sometime it charges in flight, however yesterday it did not.  We had battery replaced and still the same issue.  

We are about to start moving batteries and then units to try and see if problem follows the battery or the unit.   

Right now it seems like Garmin is on to bigger and better units and are giving the G5’s the finger 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, DCarlton said:

Any updates on this thread?  I was starting to consider a G5 and then read this again. Not looking for more maintenance issues especially behind the panel.  Folks still having trouble ?  

I had mine installed December 2020. I will get the G5 HSI and GFC 500 this December. I love mine. Zero problems (not on the recall list, though).

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

I’m curious, are you turning it off manually with the button or just letting it countdown when you turn off the master?

Count down.

8 hours ago, DCarlton said:

Just when you're ready to pull the trigger on a digital avionics device, you have to do the trade study all over again.  G5, vs GI275 vs Aspen, etc.  

Appreciate the SITREP.  

To be fair, it's not a common problem. My shop does not have another example. However, the problem is not isolated as seen above. Any brand is going to have its querks. I'd still bet on Garmin over the others.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 201Steve said:

Count down.

To be fair, it's not a common problem. My shop does not have another example. However, the problem is not isolated as seen above. Any brand is going to have its querks. I'd still bet on Garmin over the others.

Seems like you’ve troubleshot it pretty thoroughly.  Any chance you’ve tried pulling the CB to shut it down and just leave it pulled until the next flight?  Id just be interested to know if it was fully charged, turned off and isolated from connections, if it still drains?

13 hours ago, 201Steve said:

Count down.

Steve,

Do you have the temp probe installed?  If so is it the Garmin or the Davtron?   Not saying it is the problem, just comparing notes.....

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

Seems like you’ve troubleshot it pretty thoroughly.  Any chance you’ve tried pulling the CB to shut it down and just leave it pulled until the next flight?  Id just be interested to know if it was fully charged, turned off and isolated from connections, if it still drains?

That is an absolutely genius idea. Thank you.