Aspen Max Upgrade

Zulee

2 hours ago, Marauder said:

I don’t think any of the major manufacturers allow user installed firmware updates. Might have something to do with the STC or simply to provide the shops with a revenue stream. I seem to be paying a steady stream of $100 payments every time I go in for a firmware update. The only exceptions have been when the firmware update addresses an issue that affects the STC.

There was an update to my IFD a while back that I did myself.    Simple operation with no special tools required, etc.

• Like 1

Just to be totally clear - I am more than OK with a requirement for an A&P/IA to sign off an update.  I find making them available only through authorized dealers / service centers limiting and a factor in a purchase decision (although admittedly I did just buy a JPI).

There was an update to my IFD a while back that I did myself.    Simple operation with no special tools required, etc.

What type of update was it? I know that on the GTN and Aspens, there is nothing I can install myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

22 minutes ago, Marauder said:

What type of update was it? I know that on the GTN and Aspens, there is nothing I can install myself.

It was the software update for the GPS rollover.   According to the SB the only part that was FAA Approved and required authorization was the Post Accomplishment Checkout Instructions, a short checklist to turn it on and verify the update was accomplished.   

• Like 1

It was so easy to not be jealous...

Until now...

Let me tell you about my fancy BK Swiss watch...

I can probably have the bezel painted with 3D graphics to make it look like...

Lance probably has a triple screen to go with that... :)

I’m glad you guys have this all under control... Go MS!

One of these days... :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

12 hours ago, alextstone said:

Bam!  

2020-01-09-15_18_38.thumb.jpg.96005f5955f335f886508b50909605a8.jpg

I really like the new displays! It looks like you have just enough room for a flush mount on the aspen and jpi.  That would really spruce up the panel IMO. Mine is surface mounted as well (jpi and aspen) and it really detracts from the aesthetics of the panel. One other thing is your turn/skid indicator on the aspen might need another recalibration. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MIm20c said:

I really like the new displays! It looks like you have just enough room for a flush mount on the aspen and jpi.  That would really spruce up the panel IMO. Mine is surface mounted as well (jpi and aspen) and it really detracts from the aesthetics of the panel. One other thing is your turn/skid indicator on the aspen might need another recalibration. 

Thanks, I agree on all points.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, carusoam said:

It was so easy to not be jealous...

Until now...

Let me tell you about my fancy BK Swiss watch...

I can probably have the bezel painted with 3D graphics to make it look like...

Lance probably has a triple screen to go with that... :)

I’m glad you guys have this all under control... Go MS!

One of these days... :)

Best regards,

-a-

You need to get in on the glass fever. Every avionics shop I have visited in the last 6 months all have a new sports car sitting in the employee parking lot. Just give the man the money!:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, MIm20c said:

You might be right I was just noticing the ball on he TC. 

392BDC38-1260-4438-80C6-330F4C17E780.jpeg

you guys must have forgotten the benefits of 3D mechanical displays...

1) Paralax is real... as captured in the nice pic above...

2) A good glass display would simulate the actual paralax that is seen in this pic.  No paralax = not real... 

3) If the camera was in front of the TC, the ball would be perfectly aligned... and the glass display would not show any fuzzy image requiring the PIC’s head bobbing interpretation... :)

4) Its getting harder and harder to get lost, or fly sideways, in modern aviation... especially when the batteries in the displays last longer than the fuel in the tanks...

5) I have experienced my first DG/HSI failure this last year... pretty much a non-issue. VFR/VMC...  Plane wanted to fly in a circle... 

Being a child of the magenta line... I had no patience for the circular path... went to my wet compass for verification... :)

6) Being the child of the magenta line... following the standard compass with the reverse display... makes you want the vertical card version...

7) Crummy things must come in threes...

• Everything looked good on my iPad...  (WAAS source disconnected itself and the iPad had no gps input, or internal GPS)
  • Everything looked good on my HSI...  (it’s tail mounted gyro went on hiatus...)
  • Grab the back-up i-device out of my pocket... (it doesn’t have the current flight plan, that I need now!, and the battery is draining...)

All that takes minutes to Sort out... while under the Philly Class B shelf...

My love for old analog devices is quickly fading... vacuum driven devices are magical... they run on nothing at all... :)

PP thoughts only, a humor-ish approach regarding an actual HSI challenge... no electrons were injured during the making of this post...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2
  • Haha 1