Audio Panel Choice PS Eng PMA450B or PMA8000G

wcb

Ok I am trying to decide on my next step for upgrade.  I am going to add an Avidyne IFD 540 but what to I control it with?  I am thinking the PMA450B or PMA8000G.  The things I like are the Intelli Audio, BT, recorded last few transmitions etc. not sure about flightmate.  I like the new style display of the 450 and on the other hand I like the simplicity of traditional buttons of the 8000. Any thoughts from the crowd?

Any thoughts on features.  (Flightmate, Intelli Audio etc etc)

List Price -  Part  # 050-450-0601    PMA450B  $2,595

List Price -  Part  # 050-450-0602    PMA450B without BT2 $2449

List price  - Part  # 050-450-0701    PMA450B without Marker Beacon $2,495

List price  - Part  # 050-450-0702    PMA450B without BT2 and Marker Beacon  $2349

List price for the PMA8000G  is  $2095

Ok I am trying to decide on my next step for upgrade.  I am going to add an Avidyne IFD 540 but what to I control it with?  I am thinking the PMA450B or PMA8000G.  The things I like are the Intelli Audio, BT, recorded last few transmitions etc. not sure about flightmate.  I like the new style display of the 450 and on the other hand I like the simplicity of traditional buttons of the 8000. Any thoughts from the crowd?

Any thoughts on features.  (Flightmate, Intelli Audio etc etc)
List Price -  Part  # 050-450-0601    PMA450B  $2,595
List Price -  Part  # 050-450-0602    PMA450B without BT2 $2449
List price  - Part  # 050-450-0701    PMA450B without Marker Beacon $2,495
List price  - Part  # 050-450-0702    PMA450B without BT2 and Marker Beacon  $2349

List price for the PMA8000G  is  $2095

I’ve owned the 8000BT and now the 450. If want a simpler way to adjust settings the 450 is the way to go. The menu is pretty straightforward. The 8000 is fine but you need to keep the pilot guide handy if you want to change something that you have not changed in a while. You’ll forget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Went from a KMA 24 to the 450B about 3 months ago and am so glad I did. Dual BT allows me to get ForeFlight notifications as well as use my iPhone when I need to call for my clearance. Currently looking at the MiraCheck app to see if it will fit into my processes. Have not used the USB-C for charging anything yet, but nice to have it available.

@Marauder is correct about the simplicity for regularly used selections, and for the other rarely used settings, I find they seldom change from my initial setup, although it took a couple of times running through different options to finally settle on where they are now.

As for which unit to get, I definitely will use the BT2, and the marker beacon is always nice to have on approaches where it is available.

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

I’ve owned the 8000BT and now the 450. If want a simpler way to adjust settings the 450 is the way to go. The menu is pretty straightforward. The 8000 is fine but you need to keep the pilot guide handy if you want to change something that you have not changed in a while. You’ll forget.

Very much true and the reason I keep a cheat-sheet with me. But the unit is great - especially the Bluetooth capability.

Went from a KMA 24 to the 450B about 3 months ago and am so glad I did. Dual BT allows me to get ForeFlight notifications as well as use my iPhone when I need to call for my clearance. Currently looking at the MiraCheck app to see if it will fit into my processes. Have not used the USB-C for charging anything yet, but nice to have it available.
[mention=9886]Marauder[/mention] is correct about the simplicity for regularly used selections, and for the other rarely used settings, I find they seldom change from my initial setup, although it took a couple of times running through different options to finally settle on where they are now.
As for which unit to get, I definitely will use the BT2, and the marker beacon is always nice to have on approaches where it is available.

I have used the USB-C charging port on the 450 and have used it. It is capable of charging at higher power charging currents (with the appropriate cable) for devices the iPad Pros.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

I sure wish we could get Mark to step up with the other "big boys" and donate  a 450 to the Mooney Summit's silent auction. He has  told me he is just a small company that cant afford to sink about $500 worth of cost of goods back into the Mooney community :( 

+1 for the PMA450. I have the older (a) model and not the (b). But it's one of the best decisions I made regarding my panel. I use the charging port regularly to keep my iPadPro charged. And the BT is much more user friendly than BT in a headset. I've taken phone calls in the airplane where my iPhone > BT > PMA450a > Halo headset. The person on the other end of the call couldn't tell I was in the airplane.

My entire cockpit is quieter with the 450 eliminating a lot of the electronic noise and interference I had before. 

I'm realizing as I get older, preserving my hearing is important. And not the least of which is so I can hold onto my medical. A good audio panel along with a good headset will go along way to preserving our ears from hours spent in a very noisy environment.

• Like 2

I'm with Paul.  I actually have the older older 450.  lol.  The built in USB charger and features are awesome.  Either of the newer 450 units is fine.  Paul's has the "copilot as passenger" feature which allows you to mute ATC from the copilot side.  I miss having this for my wife. 

• Like 1

Just now, rbridges said:

Paul's has the "copilot as passenger" feature which allows you to mute ATC from the copilot side.  I miss having this for my wife. 

I wish the 8000BT had that. I plug my wife into the back so that she could listen to her music uninterrupted. The arrangement works fine, but she can't talk over the intercom when there's chatter over the radio.

• Like 1

The 450 has selectable mute modes for pilot, copilot and pax so I typically leave the music mute off for my wife and on for radio transmissions for me. It works great. Copilot as pax works too but I don't like that I can't hear her when the radio is receiving, and she doesn't know when the radio is going or not, so it gets frustrating quickly if I miss what she says and she has to start over.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, KSMooniac said:

I don't like that I can't hear her when the radio is receiving, and she doesn't know when the radio is going or not, so it gets frustrating quickly if I miss what she says and she has to start over.

Exactly my complaint.

26 minutes ago, rbridges said:

Never thought about that. Still would be nice to have IMO. 

The part where it mutes our dear wives on a long trip...?  I could see where that could come in handy.  Are they working on a portable model that can be used in the car?

• Haha 1

On 8/10/2018 at 10:59 AM, KSMooniac said:

450 and it isn't even close. Too bad you didn't buy one at a discount last week at OSH. I did that last year and it is the best on the market.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

OSH ‘18 pic

On 8/10/2018 at 11:05 AM, mike_elliott said:

I sure wish we could get Mark to step up with the other "big boys" and donate  a 450 to the Mooney Summit's silent auction. He has  told me he is just a small company that cant afford to sink about $500 worth of cost of goods back into the Mooney community :( 

Try for a cheaper model that the chosen could upgrade for a fee?

2DFED68A-7C49-4BA9-9645-F9435AEC83E1.thumb.jpeg.6450d68ad2e378f9135af65de09d64ac.jpeg

The PMA450a is the one and only piece of kit in my plane that my wife knows how to run. She is quick to isolate her headset and switch it to her iPad or other entertainment source. If she wants to talk to me or to hear me, she'll switch it back.

• Like 3

On 8/11/2018 at 4:55 PM, gsxrpilot said:

The PMA450a is the one and only piece of kit in my plane that my wife knows how to run. She is quick to isolate her headset and switch it to her iPad or other entertainment source. If she wants to talk to me or to hear me, she'll switch it back.

Haha. My wife learned the iso switch from day one, too. 

• Like 2