Garmin Magic...

The stage is set, the crowd has gathered.  From backstage the magician peeks out at the audience.  The excited chatter builds and the butterflies start to swarm in his stomach.  He sees seats full of discerning patrons awaiting his performance.  No matter how many times he has taken the stage he wonders, will they be in awe; will they wonder, “How did he do that?”  The time draws near and the lights start to dim.  The excited chatter dies down to nothing but a whisper.  He swallows and smiles bringing up confidence from deep inside.  He has worked hard at his art and now is the time to show the world what he can do.  The curtain is drawn and the show begins.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder under what brand name and what price. There is a lot of planes already with the G530 that I don't think they will replace it with the KNS770 due to the ecconomy and installation hassles. If Garmins shows up with a direct replacement for the G530 similar to the KNS770 it will for shure dominate the market.   

José

I do find that 700 series kind of cool with hidden audio panel and transponder though, that would clean the panel up a little - if they could jab my Stec-55 controls and a second radio into one unit like that I might take the bait.  I don't need all the XM and traffic - I have that on my Aspen PFD/MFDs in a much more useful enviornment.

If you can enter and edit flight plans and tune radios quicker and easier on these new units then they could justify themselves.

I can't figure out where the "Magic" thing comes from. At first glance this hardly seems like new technology. It's more a culmination of the technologies that have been around for a while that Garmin has now incorporated into one box. Hardly innovative in my view. And oh, they added victor airways BACK in.....something they never should have released a product without in the first place!!

This was a real let down after all the hype! I'm hoping someone else comes up with REAL Magic in avionics. Aspen was more innovative with their PFD's and MFD's than Garmin with this Magic BS. Someone else has to come out with an IFR certified GPS and finally give Garmin competition. If this is all they can come up with 12 years after the 430 was released it seems competition will be the only incentive for Garmin innovate in this market. This Garmin announcement was nothing more than marketing and a poor BS job at that. Keeping something that is not innovative secret for a grand release is not marketing, at least not effective marketing.

Quote: FlyDave

This Garmin announcement was nothing more than marketing and a poor BS job at that. Keeping something that is not innovative secret for a grand release is not marketing, at least not effective marketing.

Wonder, how do you squawk 7600 on the GTN 750 when it fails? Unlike the traditional panel set-up you have to keep punching the menu button and others to access each system, while on the traditional layout you go directly to the audio panel, transponder, com, etc. Not only you have to go thru the buttons sequence but you loose your navigation page while doing it, specially on approach.

José

Quote: FlyDave

I can't figure out where the "Magic" thing comes from. At first glance this hardly seems like new technology. It's more a culmination of the technologies that have been around for a while that Garmin has now incorporated into one box.

Quote: Jeff_S

Well, let's not confuse things. As a marketer by profession, I would argue against the above statement...the fact is it was VERY effective marketing because it got everyone's attention.  You all know what the GTN series is now! So my colleagues in Garmin's marketing department did an excellent job.

I will agree, however, that the substance of the product is a bit of a yawner. Looks like they took the aera functionality and put it into the panel. So it's an evolutionary step, and one that somebody shopping for new equipment to replace 40 year old boxes will enjoy. But maybe not substantial enough for someone with a fairly recent upgrade to think about swapping out, when buying a $2000 aera will probably give just as much benefit.

I am part of the many pilots with a 430 and no "touch screen need" but a strong weather display desire. Yes, I have a stormscope but would like better. Thus, I "need" the $1799 + shipping + tax Aera, or a used-but-bulky 396/496 or something else. As I understand it, the Aera does not have all of the extra wires, antenna, etc., that the x96 and competition have. Is there anything else compact and neat?

Quote: Jeff_S

Well, let's not confuse things. As a marketer by profession, I would argue against the above statement...the fact is it was VERY effective marketing because it got everyone's attention.  You all know what the GTN series is now! So my colleagues in Garmin's marketing department did an excellent job.

Quote: Hank

I am part of the many pilots with a 430 and no "touch screen need" but a strong weather display desire. Yes, I have a stormscope but would like better. Thus, I "need" the $1799 + shipping + tax Aera, or a used-but-bulky 396/496 or something else. As I understand it, the Aera does not have all of the extra wires, antenna, etc., that the x96 and competition have. Is there anything else compact and neat?

I am sure this product launch makes $$$ sense for Garmin. 

The questions for me are:

Will it make my fly safer ?  Will it make me get there faster ? Will it save me money ? Will it help me meet a future regulatory mandate (ADS-B out) ?

Probably "no" to all the above

Will it look great ?

Probably so ...

but the rest of the plane is still 30+ years old and is nowhere close to look like a MacBook.

Am I alone in preferring the tactile feel of my 430W's buttons and knobs?  My biggest hope out of this is that it brings 530 prices down so that I can afford to add one of those to the 430 in my current stack.  Touch screen is a nice idea in my car, but I've been in enough turbulence that I'd rather have the click of the knob vs trying to hit the right spot on a touch screen to tune a frequency when getting bounced around.  I'm even happy they couldn't flush mount my Aspens now since I can steady my hand against it's rim while hitting the right button.  Afraid I might be becoming a bit antiquated if I'm not excited about this move, but I personally would prefer the 530 to what I saw them roll out and am not looking forward to everything going to touch screen.