Ever get the urge to sit behind two fans?

Godfather

10 minutes ago, Skybrd said:

The TC is wider and has capability for 6 seats.  If you want to fly a twin, I think the Twin Comanche is probably the best one to step up to. 

Depends. It can be a great airplane. I don't recall my Twin Comanche being any wider than my Mooney but I could be wrong. If it is wider, it is insignificantly so. If you need six seats filled with people there is no room for luggage - anywhere. The 5th and 6th seats are where the baggage normally goes and there is no nose baggage as most other twins have (the P337 has a similar problem). If it's limitations work for you it can be a great airplane. It is a very efficient twin and performs surprisingly well on one engine. I held 9,500 ft with one engine feathered, full fuel and two people on board during my initial training in it.

44 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Comforting...

1) pressurized.

2) TC'd or TN'd.

3) Fast.

4) Centerline thrust with the pusher engine had some mechanical challenges that never caught on.

5) Pusher twins with close engine centerlines have been gaining support.

6) Turbine Lancair-IVPT still looks interesting for moving people quickly...

7) staying current seems to be the most important safety aspect no matter what you fly in this category.

Best regrads,

-a-

I want one.

On 4/3/2017 at 9:31 AM, KLRDMD said:

The P337 is a great airplane. I would get 182 KTAS on 23 GPH (11.5 GPH each) at 17,500 ft in air conditioned, pressurized comfort with a cabin altitude of 7,000 ft. And you can buy them for less than it costs to buy a Mooney 201. Insurance and maintenance was quite reasonable too.

You're not helping. <_<

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 4:19 PM, NotarPilot said:

One of the most appealing twins for me is the Cessna SkyMaster. I was first introduced to this beauty when Danny Glover flew one in Bat 21. I've read quite about them since then. Very cool concept but with it's own set of unique problems that other twins don't have, like rear engine running hot but then you don't have the issue of asymmetrical thrust if one engine quits. As with everything in aviation there are compromises. 

To answer the question, the urge yes, the financial means, no.

always liked them and there is no mistaking the sound of one as it flys overhead

• Like 1

On 4/3/2017 at 3:47 AM, peevee said:

o-320s on something like a turbo twin comanche can run 9gph a side, that's not out of line with what the tsio-520 we run now burns. Some guys report running them on 7.5GPH

Corona lists $16k to overhaul one 320 and $35,600 for one t-520. That's not considering the props but the $3600 saved on engine overhaul I'm guessing covers the second prop easily.

How likely are you going to maintain altitude in a Twin Comanche should you have an engine quit? Especially the left engine...

Just now, NotarPilot said:

How likely are you going to maintain altitude in a Twin Comanche should you have an engine quit? Especially the left engine...

Very. During my transition training into the Twin Comanche I held 9,500 ft with the left engine feathered. That was with two on board and full fuel (120 gal minus what it took to climb to 9,500 ft) - in Tucson. Don't know what the density altitude was but it was more than 9,500 ft. 

Just now, KLRDMD said:

Very. During my transition training into the Twin Comanche I held 9,500 ft with the left engine feathered. That was with two on board and full fuel (120 gal minus what it took to climb to 9,500 ft) - in Tucson. Don't know what the density altitude was but it was more than 9,500 ft. 

Oh, I thought that comment earlier was referring to the P337. I didn't realize you were talking about the TC.

Just now, NotarPilot said:

Oh, I thought that comment earlier was referring to the P337. I didn't realize you were talking about the TC.

Nope. The P337 will hold 19,500 ft on one engine if memory serves me.

• Like 1

Just now, Steve Dawson said:

Ken, how is the noise level in the P337 compared to a J or K?

Very quiet. The pressurization adds a bunch of soundproofing. I would start the rear engine first and would have to look at the tach and fuel flow to make sure the engine was running, it was that quiet.

Yes, dos fans is why I sold the 231. Now I fly faster, farther, higher and carry more in a more comfortable setting!! Yes it costs more but the return is greater. Mooney is still my favorite piston single. 

I've put way too much work and money into my J, getting it right how I want, to start over on another airplane but that's real tempting.

No kidding...I'm in the same boat but really don't have twin fever. There is a lot of value in that plane at first glance.

Ken, what is an average useful load for a P337 like that, and do any of those STC's increase max gross weight?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, KSMooniac said:

Ken, what is an average useful load for a P337 like that, and do any of those STC's increase max gross weight?

Mine was 1,250 lb but I had intercoolers, air conditioning, leather seats, etc. Most are around 1,400 lb. They're five seat airplanes that the 5th seat is only a child seat so realistically they're four seats airplanes.

I was interested in Seneca's until I flew one.  Not interested in those anymore!

I love the looks of a P-Baron, but once I started doing the math, the costs far outweighed the benefit of my missile.

insurance was quoted at 3K vs 1200 in the missile

fuel burn is about double (24gph vs 12.5)

annuals are 2-3x as much (3-5K avg vs 1500 or so)

speed is faster on the baron (I normally fly lop at 175KTAS), but over he course of a two hour flight we're only talking a 10-15 minute difference.

the Baron has 6 seats, but the useful load isn't much better than the 1010lbs on the missile (mines TKS'd)

with all that in mind, I can't justify it.  But..... if I do hit it big time.... then I certainly would pull the trigger on a P-Baron- would be a great ride if money was no object....

15 hours ago, M016576 said:

But..... if I do hit it big time.... then I certainly would pull the trigger on a P-Baron- would be a great ride if money was no object....

If I were looking at P-Barons (and I have) I would probably end up in a 340A.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sherman18 said:

What do you figure an annual on the P337 would be?  I can't imagine it anywhere near what it costs for any Mooney.

I'm thinking mine was a $3,500 flat rate ???