G-OBAL refit

Hyett6420

On 09/12/2016 at 11:33 PM, Emmet said:

Hi Andrew,

nice to see that you plane makes good progress. Looking forward to see the finished result emoji846.png

Did you manage to take a look at my baby ? Could you see how far they are?

i think they have done one tank and are on the other. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, apologies about lack of communication, its xmas time and the residential construction industry goes a bit haywire at this time of year.  Everyone wants their houses finished before the 24th.  I have no idea why, personally i think they are just being fussy!  

Update time again though.   (Ill post pics later today). However after the condition report showed a few areas for manitenance, we decided to do everything on the report, so the bushels in the nose gear, brake cylinders, and aileron hinge plates are all being replaced.   Just waiting on parts now, I just hope the msc has ordered them direct and not through Troyes in France for they take forever to get things to you.  

Both tanks have been cleaned and resealed.  Gami injectors are in.  All corrosion has been removed and chemically treated to stop it.   All measurements checked and well within tolerances.   All access panels have been cleaned, primed and resealed.  Aircraft has been "neutral washed" to remove any chemical residue and is now drying over the Christmas break.  The interior is back with us from Aerocomfort.  I havent seen it yet, but the guys say it is all there and they havent opened it to avoid "getting sticky toffee fingers on it".   I do love how non English speakers translate their phrases into English. :)  

In the New Year she will have her primer put on her, then ill go and visit to see how she is.  

I feel i can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Andrew

20161220_112721.jpg20161220_112727.jpg20161221_153248.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Danb said:

Andrew your getting the best Xmas present

No not Xmas, more like birthday, i wont get it till about the 20th January. :(   (which is my birthday so don't forget i want LOTS of presents form you guys or there will be trouble.  ill send in the management, remember them?)  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk3_A0lR1Zc

• Like 1

Andrew I'm glad to hear that things are progressing along nicely. Quick question about GAMIs. How'd you decide on them? Most people can get LOP on stock lycoming injectors. Also - I imagine that they will always be a matched set to your current fuel servo / spider / cylinders such that if you change say, a fuel distributor line to the injector or fix a small induction leak on cylinder #1 or whatever, and the gamis were sent based off data that reflected that small leak, what happens when you fix it and the gamis are no longer tuned to your setup? Will the send you new restrictors?

I always thought GAMIs made sense for continentals where they provide something that augments / corrects the inherent design, but I never understood the value for lycoming where you can often just have your injectors swapped out without much fuss. Please educate me ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My Continental ran smoother after GAMIs installed, and meets their recommended GAMI test criteria.

I would suggest you run the GAMI test, and if you are within the prescribed range, (or if you can get within the range by swapping your own injectors)  don't buy them. If not, buy them and install. Run the test again. If they don't get within  the range, GAMI will customize them until they do. If my memory is correct, your fuel flow should not vary by more than .5 gal/per hour from the first cylinder to peak until the last one. But check GAMI's site. If you are lucky, you can get closer than that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bradp said:

Andrew I'm glad to hear that things are progressing along nicely. Quick question about GAMIs. How'd you decide on them? Most people can get LOP on stock lycoming injectors. Also - I imagine that they will always be a matched set to your current fuel servo / spider / cylinders such that if you change say, a fuel distributor line to the injector or fix a small induction leak on cylinder #1 or whatever, and the gamis were sent based off data that reflected that small leak, what happens when you fix it and the gamis are no longer tuned to your setup? Will the send you new restrictors?

I always thought GAMIs made sense for continentals where they provide something that augments / corrects the inherent design, but I never understood the value for lycoming where you can often just have your injectors swapped out without much fuss. Please educate me ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The answer to your question above is.............

i honestly don't know.  I was advised by my home a and p that they would be good to have with the JPI I am fitting next year.  To be honest they didn't cost diddly squat so while the baby was in pieces I said put them in.  How they are balanced etc etc etc I have no idea. Far too technical for my little grey cells. 

Sorry i can't help you there. 

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings all.  I visited Seppe again yesterday to catch up on progress.  As someone who works in construction i am well aware of that "development curve", where the client sees all the demolition and goes "wow", then nothing appears to happen for weeks (client gets frustrated), although things are happening, and then in the final two weeks or so, it all rapidly comes together (client is happy again).  Well we are in the latter stage.

So where are we:-

• I arrived yesterday to see primer painted parts being put back on the aircraft, 
  • The tanks are full of fuel and not leaking
  • There were people crawling all around her masking up everything.
  • Previously they had even removed all of the original blue plaint form even inside the door frames etc, not just the outside like most paint shops do.  Very impressed.
  • The brake piston was out and ready for my inspection.  See picture.  There is a slight nick in the piston which will affect the o ring in time.  Now hunting down the part number, see picture.  
  • The interior, OMG wonderful i have now seen it with my own eyes, it looks amazing.  
  • The carpet side panels are now three layers, with insulation and sound deadening material.  I am expecting not to be able to have to use my headset at al (yeah right).
  • The last parts from Mooney were expected yesterday or today.
  • The green primer will go on by the end of the week, and depending on cure rates, the grey will follow.
  • Obviously one of the co-owners then said "hmmm can we have LED lights", so we are now investigating that.  I have read the threads about the Wheelan lights, so we will go with those, expect questions guys :)  
  • She should be ready, and out of the paint shop by the end of Jan, beginning of Feb, then the interior and test flying.  I'm going nowhere near her till the engineer has put at least three hours on her testing everything. :)  

Cant wait to have her back. :):):) 

IMG_3933.JPG

Interior Panel, Pilots side.  There is a separate bit that goes in the infill above the arm rest.   I LOVE the stitching.

IMG_3935.JPG

Carpet Side panel, note how it is now a sandwich with the original part in the middle.

IMG_3931.JPG

Fully primed, fairings going back on.  NOTE the silicon underneath to stop water ingress.  this has been done on all the fairings, including the wing junction ones, as well as aluminium?? sealing tape as required on the wings.   Attention to detail.

IMG_3932.JPG

ILS antenna re-installed. This had some some minor corrosion around it as its where the birds like to sit!  All now fixed and Birds will now be shot, nothing like Pigeon pie!

IMG_3934.JPG

The yokes, yay i even got to touch one.  It has finger grips at the back, wow.  I have decreed that they are never to be touched, they are for decoration only. :)  

IMG_3937.JPG

Baby being masked up. Co-owner managed to get into the shot! The blue bit is plastic i understand hence it has not been stripped.

IMG_3938.JPG

Nick in brake cylinder shaft.

IMG_3939.JPG

Details of the part number needed for the shaft.  Anyone got one?  Important.

Enjoy.:rolleyes:

Andrew

Edited by Hyett6420
Spellcheck
  • Like 6