G-OBAL refit

Hyett6420

If that's the bottom of the tank, isn't that the wing skin with the bulk of the corrosion on it? Where are the thick pieces of metal riveted on, to the front of the tank, the rear of the tank, or the inboard edge? I think the spar forms the rear wall of the tank.

Clarence would be a good resource, or Paul Beck; they may recognize the bits from seeing them before, especially Paul.

Good luck with this! Resealing is painful enough, I did that in 2010.

1 hour ago, rbridges said:

I guess I'll be the first to ask a probably dumb question.  Is the gas tank corrosion because the tanks were left empty for an extended period of time?  My orientation is off, so I'm not sure what's on the other side of these areas.  

to my knowledge i dont believe they have ever been left empty.

On 10/28/2016 at 1:52 AM, Hyett6420 said:

And so it has begun

interior out with two mechanics umm proving that when the cats away.....

AL flight controls removed and being prepped for the gel paint remover

I hope the anaesthetist is good and doesn't let her feel any pain.  

AndrewIMG_3613.JPGIMG_3612.JPG

You two need to decide who's in command and which way you are going!

Just now, thinwing said:

You two need to decide who's in command and which way you are going!

No matey its more worrying than that, these two are two of the engineers from aeroskill.  Their boss was away that day when the photo was taken.  Neither are pilots, just engineers, i am not sure whether that is fortunate or not. :)  

Just now, thinwing said:

just curious ,but on initial ATC callup..it's " Gulf Oscar Bravo Alpha Lima,correct..?..than what alpha Lima for short....JUST SOUNDS LIKE A MOUTHFUL TO ME.SO HOW COME NO NUMBERS .

Same reason Canada and Europe ain't got no numbers. Just like their accents and funny spelling (really, "aluminium"??), it's just how they do it over there. Long, skinny license plates in their cars, too. And a different sense of "humour."

42 minutes ago, Hank said:

Same reason Canada and Europe ain't got no numbers. Just like their accents and funny spelling (really, "aluminium"??), it's just how they do it over there. Long, skinny license plates in their cars, too. And a different sense of "humour."

London Centre (note the spelling) Golf Oscar Bravo Alpha Lima, passing flight level 060 for 080.  After that it is Golf Alpha Lima.  

Now ACTUALLY you guys are the odd ones out. Most other countries to my knowledge use 1-2 letter country identifier (in your case N) and then a series of letters. If you think about it logically you can get more combinations with letters for a shorter registration than you can with numbers as there are 26 Letters versus 9 numbers.  So.....

the maximum you can get for 4 digits in the USA with numbers is N0000- N9999. While with Letters you can get NAAAA-NZZZZ.  As for a mouthful to say Golf Alpha Lima is eaiser to say and takes up less frequency time than (if callsign is N4444DB) four four delta bravo, Ne c'est pas?  Or in Latin Quad Erat Demonstrandum. ;) 

As for spelling hmm you speak English guys, you just can't spell it correctly.  

Andrew, we use N + 5 alphanumeric characters, except some have only three or four. I learned in N55212, now I fly N444DJ. A friend has N2HJ. So it's not very standard here. And we have no problem being the odd man out.

The magazine is Aviation Consumer, here:  http://www.aviationconsumer.com

Happy reading!

• Like 1

Hi Guys

A quick update, Aerocomfort has finished all the interiors work and that is being shipped to Aeroskill in the next few days once you get over celebrating the end of the presidential race with Thanksgiving.  (Except Clarence ;). ). 

IMG_3664.JPG

Glareshield 

IMG_3670.JPG

Front seats note pneumatic lumbar supportIMG_3665.JPG

Rear seat backs

IMG_3661.JPG

Odds and sodsIMG_3659.JPG

rear roof linerIMG_3658.JPG

Front roof linerIMG_3663.JPG

rear seat pads

IMG_3657.JPG

Side panel inserts IMG_3660.JPG

Front side panelIMG_3656.JPG

Yokes

ill post pics of the stripped aircraft in seperste post. Am very happy with aerocomfort and aeroskill so far. 

• Like 4

We visited Aeroskill today in Holland. Now there is a separate thread going on somewhere about  why we have Money's but.... I woke at 04:30 to get taxi to train station for 5:50. Caught train to London Stansted (as close as Heathrow etc to London) and caught 08:40 flight to closest airport to Aeroskill that accepted Commerical traffic, Eindhoven.  Landed at 10:40 local, security problem meant we could not disembark for 1:30. Eventually got to Hertz desk. No car waiting despite gold member. Eventually got to Seppe and Aeroskill at 13:00 in time for lunch. :). All in all 7 hours train to destination rather than 1:30 in the Mooney. Grrr 

Anyway Aeroskill are doing a great job and have gone over the aircraft with a tooth comb. Very thorough and well documented.  Baby has been stripped of paint and is ready for paint application.  Buffed and minor nicks etc dealt with. IMG_3647.JPG Aeroskill are an MSC and I can see why. Having known various maintenance organisations they give a level of confidence that I have not felt before elsewhere to the same degree. 

IMG_3650.JPG

On leaving Seppe the sun was setting check this out  taken on an iPhone with just point and click  

IMG_3653.JPG

• Like 2

Just now, N1395W said:

Andrew- what was the resolution on your fuel tank corrosion?  Within limits?

Beautiful interior pieces, BTW.

Yes we believe so. The meeting today was to discuss work progress so far and whether to look at the right tank as well. We decided to clean the right tank as well. The corrosion guy is looking at the corrosion tomorrow.  Paul Beck felt it was nothing to worry about and they see it regularly.  

I'll keep you all posted on outcome.  Will know in a week or so. 

Andrew

• Like 5

5 hours ago, carusoam said:

Is the objective something simple, like....  Make GOBAL brand new again?  :)

Best regards,

-a-

Something like that.  Make her the best maintained Mooney in the european market. :)  

It is interesting the little things the MSC picked up like a leaking inlet gasket  into cyl 1, a tiny little blue smudge on the inlet gasket, easy fix but not picked up by my engineers at its annual.  These things matter and it is comforting to know they are being found and addressed.  

• Like 2