G-OBAL refit

Hyett6420

One of the issues the MSC found was that the tachometer underreads by 1000 rpm.  They put one of those strobe things on the prop and ran the engine.  Suggestion was to change out the tachometer for the same model for 700 clicks including labour Is this wise or would a more "electronic" version be better.  I belive it is cable driven not pulse driven.  By electronic i DO NOT mean a JPI as that is next years upgrade.  

A new SLI tach is what I did to fix that. The cheaper unit that Spruce sells was no good it broke twice as soon as it was installed and was 100 rpm off 100 hour later.   All the digital options add up hours faster and cost you money in the long run. 

6 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

One of the issues the MSC found was that the tachometer underreads by 1000 rpm.  They put one of those strobe things on the prop and ran the engine.  Suggestion was to change out the tachometer for the same model for 700 clicks including labour Is this wise or would a more "electronic" version be better.  I belive it is cable driven not pulse driven.  By electronic i DO NOT mean a JPI as that is next years upgrade.  

Was "1000 rpm" a typo ?  For me, full rpm, oil pressure in the green and airspeed alive are go/no go checks on the roll.  I'd abort a takeoff if my tach read 1700 rpm.  Did you mean 100 rpm ?  Even worse if that was a regular and expected error.  You may have been a few hundred under, losing performance, or a few hundred over, risking engine damage.

2 hours ago, Cyril Gibb said:

Was "1000 rpm" a typo ?  For me, full rpm, oil pressure in the green and airspeed alive are go/no go checks on the roll.  I'd abort a takeoff if my tach read 1700 rpm.  Did you mean 100 rpm ?  Even worse if that was a regular and expected error.  You may have been a few hundred under, losing performance, or a few hundred over, risking engine damage.

so i cant type. Yep 100 too low.  whoops pebcak error. (there you are work that one out?) We tend to cruise at 2400 so in reality apparently we were cruising at 2500 according to the laser thingy.

Just now, flyboy0681 said:

A couple of years ago we did the same and found that the prop was 75rpm under. It may have been 75, but once our A&P upped the governor, the difference was dramatic. 

well i am trying to work out whether it is a mechanical or electro magnetic one.  my a and P says it is electro magnetic.  ie the cable spins a magnet inside the unit.  the revs do "dance"/waver" slightly (50-100 revs) in cruise, particularly in turbulence.  The engine note does not change at all though.  My a and p says it is the cable bouncing which is causing the magnet so vary.  To be honest i have no idea how it works at all.  My serial number in case anyone cares to look it up is 24-1601.  (that was a subtle way of me asking for help.)

Andrew

48 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

I had a tach fail at Oshkosh last year. Don Maxwell was there so I asked him. He said he won't install analog tach's. He said if I wanted his shop to do the work, get an EI R1 tach. Done and done.

As long as its got a hand and not just numbers I have to look at long enough to figure out what it says. That's my biggest problem  (other than price) with glass panels. 

I believe Don's opinion is that the analog tach's are getting old and are failing quicker. And even the new ones are prone to failure. The R1 has both a ring of lights that give instant indication of Green/Yellow/Red. And then a big number in the center that is accurate. They are very easy to read at a glance.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

I believe Don's opinion is that the analog tach's are getting old and are failing quicker. And even the new ones are prone to failure. The R1 has both a ring of lights that give instant indication of Green/Yellow/Red. And then a big number in the center that is accurate. They are very easy to read at a glance.

One of the Cherokee's I trained in had the R1 tach and I loved it, the rest had analog tachs. The R1 was easy enough to glance at and see what it was doing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So tomorrow I am off to Seppe again to check on progress having had to deal with all this around my home yesterday. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4000966/Flood-water-deluges-streets-Boris-Johnson-s-north-London-home-water-main-burst-causing-dozens-residents-evacuated.html

Fortunately my house/s we're not affected. 

Andrew

On 12/6/2016 at 4:47 PM, bonal said:

No doubt probably put in during the dark ages.

Victorian era are most of our water mains.  They are replacing them as fast as they can but given this was on the A1, an A road being a major raod and you can work out from the number how major this one is, they have not replaced it yet.  

I visited Seppe on Wednesday and checked in on AL, which bearing in mind i have pneumonia was a feat in itself.  She is looking better by the day.  The left tank is cleaned, corrosion all fixed and well within limits, sealed and ready for her final protection.  The right tank has been cleaned, inspected, slight corrosion fixed and again well within limits.  Sealing is taking place as we speak.  She should have her first coat of primer on her by Tuesday which is excellent news.  All the flight controls and fairings have been cleaned and prepped.  Loose smoking rivets throughout the aircraft have been replaced.  Correct rivets have been put where the incorrect ones were (some  sham maintenance company in the  past called Airtime in Bournemouth). 

The interior is complete and will be back in Holland around Tuesday as well, which is excellent news.    Can i just say (and i havent seen the product yet) but Aerocomfort in San Antonio is definitely the place to go to get your interior done.  We shipped everything to them, they even sent lists to Holland to make sure that everything was sent. Hector has been so accomodating, friendly, coping with the damn Brit and his wierd English ways.  They liaised with my shipping company direct and just kept me in the loop so i didnt have to worry about that as well.  Fully understood to send photos to me before final payment went out (silly Brit thing).    Excellent customer service, i cant fault it.

Andrew

IMG_3709.JPGIMG_3710.JPGIMG_3712.JPGIMG_3713.JPGIMG_3714.JPG

and before anyone notices the crack is old and was fixed ages ago. :)  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bonal said:

Looking at the pictures wow what a monumental project hope everything goes back together perfectly and of course get well soon.

Thank you for your kind words, the Doctors (i was about to put quacks then realised there were quite a few on this forum, so had better be "polite". (Sorry Dave et al) are looking after me well.  Antibiotics and rest apparently.  I didnt catch the post nasal drip after the cold quick enough, damn!  

Regarding the project, yep it is a tad large, and I bet they have two bolts and three screws left over. :)   

Andrew