Engine trouble, emergency landing!

I fought an intermittent problem for months when I had my '64E.  I finally suspected the servo, and it was sent off for overhaul.  After that things seemed fine.  Then 2 years later I experienced an off-field forced landing that totaled the aircraft.  A subsequent extensive NTSB tear-down confirmed no other issues, so the servo was sent out for evaluation.  It was found to be defective; it seemed the original issue WAS NOT REPAIRED by the overhaul shop. Cut and paste this link for the full narative of N1310W, especially final paragraph:  http://www.ntsb.gov/about/employment/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief2.aspx?ev_id=20120721X23053&ntsbno=CEN12FA463&akey=1

I fought an intermittent problem for months when I had my '64E. I finally suspected the servo, and it was sent off for overhaul. After that things seemed fine. Then 2 years later I experienced an off-field forced landing that totaled the aircraft. A subsequent extensive NTSB tear-down confirmed no other issues, so the servo was sent out for evaluation. It was found to be defective; it seemed the original issue WAS NOT REPAIRED by the overhaul shop. Cut and paste this link for the full narative of N1310W, especially final paragraph: http://www.ntsb.gov/about/employment/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief2.aspx?ev_id=20120721X23053&ntsbno=CEN12FA463&akey=1

Strangely having a servo repaired at the factory is not any more expensive than some of the other shops, with the assurance that it's done right.

Glad you survived your accident.

Clarence

you cylinder temp and oil temp are pegged out, why?  Also, around 2 GPH is normal for 1000 RPM for an IO-360, maybe 3 something....

My number 3 cylinder (2 bars on the engine monitor) was in the 350 range, my oil temperature was 202 degrees (on the engine monitor) when I shut down. So to answer your question.......46 year old gauges.

Notice the cold EGTS at 850RPM, 4.6 fuel flows

It looks like you are taking snap shots from a video you made of the instruments. Do you need some help posting the video? I'm curious to see what everything was doing during this problem.

If you have this video on your cell phone you can use several different apps to post it to YouTube, Vimeo or other hosting sites. Let me know what you have in the way of a video (on your cell?) and if you have a tablet. Pretty easy to convert to a shareable format.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It looks like you are taking snap shots from a video you made of the instruments. Do you need some help posting the video? I'm curious to see what everything was doing during this problem.

If you have this video on your cell phone you can use several different apps to post it to YouTube, Vimeo or other hosting sites. Let me know what you have in the way of a video (on your cell?) and if you have a tablet. Pretty easy to convert to a shareable format.

I have it on my iPhone and iPad, I'll work on getting it posted today.

Thanks!

Here is the link to the video I took minutes after landing.

http://youtu.be/acbmQMjXFh4

Thanks for sharing. The fuel pressure fluctuations at idle doesn't bother me. Your manifold pressure at 1000 RPM seems higher than what I am seeing. But this could be due to the accuracy of the mechanical gauge.

So... the fuel flow is the "out of place" value. Keep us posted.

I concur that your fuel flow is very high... more than 2x what it should be at idle.  I sent my servo to Don Maxwell's guy in Dallas but haven't run it yet.  Don's recommendation was good enough for me.

I used the same guy. Worked well and even sent me a calendar later. :)

Make sure he knows you would like to see the bench results before and after at idle. I wonder if you have a cracked air or fuel diaphragm. 

-Robert

• Like 1

I concur that your fuel flow is very high... more than 2x what it should be at idle.  I sent my servo to Don Maxwell's guy in Dallas but haven't run it yet.  Don's recommendation was good enough for me.

Do you have this shop's contact info, my mechanic is planning on calling Don Maxwell but we might save some time if we can contact the shop directly?

Here's the latest,

My mechanic called Don Maxwell who referred him to Aircraft Carburetor and Injection Services of Texas, LLC, the fellow he talked to at this shop wants, not only the fuel servo but all the fuel components forward of the servo including the injectors.

I believe we're in good hands, it'll be shipped tomorrow.

I used the same guy. Worked well and even sent me a calendar later. :)

Make sure he knows you would like to see the bench results before and after at idle. I wonder if you have a cracked air or fuel diaphragm. 

-Robert

Don't just flow bench it, but when it gets torn down have them investigate it and look for something wrong. Throwing all the parts in a bucket of solvent and rebuilding it doesn't tell you what was wrong.

• Like 3

Don't just flow bench it, but when it gets torn down have them investigate it and look for something wrong. Throwing all the parts in a bucket of solvent and rebuilding it doesn't tell you what was wrong.

My mechanic clearly communicated with the shop that we had an incident and that we need to find what went wrong.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

The shop who inspected and overhauled our fuel servo told us they found oil on the air side of the regulator and referred us to a Service Information Letter from Precision Airmotive LLC

www.precisionairmotive.com/Publications/SIL RS-40 Rev1.pdf

The shop who inspected and overhauled our fuel servo told us they found oil on the air side of the regulator and referred us to a Service Information Letter from Precision Airmotive LLC

So the mystery still isn't solved?

that letter specifies updraft configuration, and, further it says that only heavy oily contamination(a pool of oil)  warrants cleaning and testing. 

So the mystery still isn't solved?

Not completely, that oil came from somewhere but where hasn't been determined, the last time the servo was overhauled was back in 2002, approximately 1000 hours ago and I'm not aware that this SIL inspection has ever been done since.

that letter specifies updraft configuration, and, further it says that only heavy oily contamination(a pool of oil)  warrants cleaning and testing. 

Quoting from the SIL sounds like ours is in the "updraft configuration" because it is mounted on the bottom of the sump, or am I not understanding it correctly.

"These servos are typically installed on Lycoming engines with the servo in the updraft configuration (mounted to the bottom of the sump). "