Gear Handle Boot Pattern??

I found leather to be a problem for the gear boot in my 66C. The overlapping seams caused binding between the gear handle and wheel well cover and the leather would not flex enough when the flat part of the boot was glued to the floor. Mine is made out of leather and a flexible material similar to Lycra around the handle to allow it to flex with the handle movement.

Just my personal .02.

David

There is a part number for it: 170001-3, BOOT, GEAR RETRACTION LEVER

Mine is made from stretchy, black fabric. I doubt it is OEM.

I could see leather being problematic if it bunched up under the base.

My Johnson bar boot is a black foot sock.  Every time this subject comes come up it makes me wonder if the previous owner wore the sock previously to turning it into landing gear lever boot.  I can say the black sock has held up well over the years.

• Like 1

I bought the black leather one from LASAR, IIRC and it did indeed cause some problems. When retracting the gear, it would jam at the bottom of the Johnson bar, making it impossible to get the bar to lock into place.

My solution was to pull the boot upwards as far as possible, with the Jonson bar locked upright of course, and then I fastened the boor around the bar with a cable tie. This way, it will not slide down and jam when retracting the gear. I'm sure a thinner type of leather is the answer and the leather does look way better than the OEM material.

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased a leather boot from Comfort Aero as part of my interior redo and it never fit right. I ended up returning it and Don Maxwell installed a new black cloth one. Works great and still looks good. Not much of the boot shows anyway so going with a leather one I felt really wasn't worth it.

When I redid the interior (66E) the skilled auto trim guy that did my seats etc made a couple of attempts to made a boot using the gray leather we used throughout the plane. Neither fit very well through the 90 degree travel of the JBar. I bought a black leather boot from Hector @ . Under $50 and works fine.

When I redid the interior (66E) the skilled auto trim guy that did my seats etc made a couple of attempts to made a boot using the gray leather we used throughout the plane. Neither fit very well through the 90 degree travel of the JBar. I bought a black leather boot from Hector @ . Under $50 and works fine.

That's the same boot that Don Maxwell couldn't get to work... Maybe next time you see Don, you can provide a few tips. :)

That's the same boot that Don Maxwell couldn't get to work... Maybe next time you see Don, you can provide a few tips. :)

I'll admit it took some patience sitting in the plane on jacks swinging the gear up and down. I'm older than DMax. He just needs more experience.  :rolleyes:

(The tear to the right of the JBar is the trim and flap cable sheathes.)

post-8913-0-17920000-1435977655_thumb.jp

post-8913-0-53109000-1435977868_thumb.jp

After looking at these pictures I see why mine didn't work.  My carpet go up much closer to the J-bar and around each side.  I'd probably have to trim the carpet all the way back to where you did to allow the J-Bar to latch.

After looking at these pictures I see why mine didn't work.  My carpet go up much closer to the J-bar and around each side.  I'd probably have to trim the carpet all the way back to where you did to allow the J-Bar to latch.

Hank, the next time you get a chance to have your plane on jacks check carefully where the bar gets closest to the floor. For mine it was right behind the hole. A prior owner or his A&P had used hot melt to glue down carpet right there. It was very difficult to get the bar into the "up" position, locked on the floor. The wide flange of leather on the boot from Hector is thin. I trimmed it around the seat tracks and used contact adhesive to glue it to the floor minimizing the thickness under the JBar.