I'm Screwed..Airplane in shop since December

Wakeup

Update on my plane dramma. I finally talked to my A&P and he continues to have several excuses for taking so long. He has a lot of dramma in his life, mostly created by himself. I really think overall he is a good guy and will/wants to finish the project. I ordered the supplies yesterday and he plans to work on it when it comes in. I am going to Chattanooga this weekend and hope to see it in person. Thanks everyone for the support. Troy

I had a similar situation on a 231 after bad hail damage.  The shop, which was on the insurance company's list of approved vendors, claimed to have experience with Mooney tank reseals.  They dragged it out close to a year because they simply did not know how to do the repair, but did not want to admit it and lose the insurance business.  Eventually I took it across the airport to a shop with real experience and they did the fix in 2 weeks.  Then the paint work that shop #1 did began to bubble because they didn't get all of the stripper out. (They may be slow, but they're sloppy!)

In the interest of getting the reseal done properly you may want to consider taking it away from this shop, even if it means putting out more money. 

• Like 1

I don't know your mechanic but I'd assume he didn't start out to screw you or to take months to do a simple tank reseal but that there's always other work that seems more pressing.

My experience is that having a hard date that the A&P can understand is helpful. "I've got to have the plane to go to MAPA May 12 and I will want to get current so I need for you to finish and sign of by 4/30." Or some similar drop dead date that is both doable and understandable. If his heart is in the right place this will help him to put you project in front of many of the kinds of jobs that have taken priority.

This could be true.  I find even with my mechanic who is very good and trust worthy but if I were not to go out there other things do pop up even more so when my plane was the side work.  I'm not saying you have to watch them every minute but multiple trips to the shop each week keeps you up front and on their mind.

I’m trusting and easygoing as well so a simple presence at the shop possibly fits into you character.  It’s a gentle push to get it done.

Up front money a smile and a handshake works in most instances. In your case it did not and I see no reason it will change under the same scenario.

So...Personally I would review how Al Pacino would handle this matter. I would suggest to you that the Tataglia family, Lou Grabazi or Vito Corleone

would not  have had any such issues.

The table, the stare, the silence , the anger and a fist pounding ultimatum would play my next scene.

You need to " Give him an offer he can't refuse".

Best,

DH

This could be true.  I find even with my mechanic who is very good and trust worthy but if I were not to go out there other things do pop up even more so when my plane was the side work.  I'm not saying you have to watch them every minute but multiple trips to the shop each week keeps you up front and on their mind.

I’m trusting and easygoing as well so a simple presence at the shop possibly fits into you character.  It’s a gentle push to get it done.

I'm sure you're kidding. An aircraft mechanic, unlike a food server, can do more to you than spit in your drink.

Update. I went to the shop this weekend and was surprised to see how much work that needed to be done to the tanks closest to the plane. He said it should be ready next Sunday. Ha! Ha! I laughed and said you have a lot of work left to do and you have only done this much in 4 months. How do I expect you to be done this Sunday? He replied he had another job to be at next week. That's comforting. The dramma continues. Troy

Update. I went to the shop this weekend and was surprised to see how much work that needed to be done to the tanks closest to the plane. He said it should be ready next Sunday. Ha! Ha! I laughed and said you have a lot of work left to do and you have only done this much in 4 months. How do I expect you to be done this Sunday? He replied he had another job to be at next week. That's comforting. The dramma continues. Troy

Really? So if you have expectations and want to monitor work a mechanic might sabotage your aircraft?

Just wow.

So, which is it? You're suggesting Troy might have to offer to break someone kneecaps but you are confident the victim would never, under any circumstances violate his "Hippocratic Oath"?

Hey, I'm kidding... as I assumed you were.

• Like 1

I hope that doesn't translate into "I'm going to do a crappy rush job to say I'm finished"

If you haven't threatened litigation at this point, then honestly, you have no one to blame but yourself. It's been four months, man! Start playing hardball.

• 3 weeks later...

Update...my mechanic checked into rehab yesterday. I have reputable mechanic finishing it this week. I agree with all the comments about playing hardball but it's hard when you are 6 hours away and hard to go after someone that doesn't have a lot to loose. Hope to give everyone a positive update next week.

• Like 4