Cleaning oil residue off the belly

Hi Chris in Oklahoma.

Just my input here but you might check the data on Super Clean to make sure it is not harmful to aluminum or paint.   Simple Green has a produc,t Extreme Simple Green which states it is not harmful to aluminum or paint.  It is specifically designed for auto/aircraft use.  Check out each products website for this information.

I used to be from Oklahoma!

SD-20 from Spartan Chemical Co. is my favorite. Cleans very well leaving no residue and no damage to paint. It comes in an aerosol form in a blue can. Just spray it on the spot, let it stand for 15 seconds and wipe the stain with a cotton rag. It is very efficient and one can is enough to clean the whole plane.

José

Thanks guys, you all have provided many options.  I think your right fantom, he was using a common otc product.  Mineral Spirits rings a bell.  He was able to spray on and it cleanned well enough that there was no wiping required.

SD-20 sounds like an easy use cleaning source not requiring an air compressor or air gun.  I've used Simple Green in the past and it has worked well but still took some rubbing. 

Hi Chris.

Just for your information, here is my method with Extreme Simple Green on the aircraft belly.

Spray a very light application of the material on an area of approx. 2 ft. x 2 ft.  Immediately wipe in a circular motion with a sponge full of clear/clean water.  You will be able to tell if you have cut the oil film with this action, as the area will appear smooth and clean.  No oil looking residue or streaking.

Once again, immerse that sponge in more clean/clear water and apply to the same surface in the same manner.  This is just a second guarantee that you have cut the mustard, so to speak.

Wipe dry with a clean and soft [microfiber] towel.  For me, I usually do an specific belly pan area prior to wiping dry. I do change the water in the buckets a couple of times, making sure the water is a clean as possible as I go along.

When all is clean and free, the surface is shinning.  I then apply a coating of HydroGloss material and wipe to a great shine with a clean microfiber cloth.

In my opinion, the key to this process is rinsing the Simple Green throughly from the surface once the oil residue is cut.  Of course, the thicker the oil is on the belly, the more aggressive you will have to be.

I'll bet any of these other products folks have mentioned here will do the same job as the Simple Green.  Are you really and Okie? [me too but I don't usually let that kind of information out! ha] 

Simple Green sounds almost as easy as Aero Cosmetics Wash & Wax. Two versions:  blue for the plane, red for the belly [it's the degreaser]. Spray it on, wipe with a rag, then buff dry with a clean towel. One rag for the whole plane, but have several wipe dry towels. I usually do the plane in several days, since it's much more than a car's worth of metal. Work in small sections, 2' x 2' or so, use panel lines/rivets to keep track as you go.

Spray on. Scrub/wipe. Buff dry.

No buckets. No water. [Don't have any in the hangar.] Only do each panel one time.

Clean, shiny, smooth surface. Lasts for months and months. I redo the leading edges whenever they get hard to de-bug after flights.