Orion 650E

PTK

That nice recog bulb up front causes the wicked witch impression..." I'm melting...! "

Best regards,

-a-

I considered that recognition bulb setup. Experts I spoke with advised me that if run on the ground that bulb gets hot and tends to melt the clear enclosure. In the air it keeps cooler.

After researching the Orion 650E however, I didn't really feel it's needed. I didn't want the risk of melting the wingtip enclosure and another thing to have to do after landing!

The 650E puts out a lot of light! All of it in the angle range for which it's designed. All useful candelas with no waste! More than double that of the plain 650. Needless to say it also blows away completely the old strobes and navs!

http://www.whelen.com/pb/Aviation/Catalog%20Price%20Lists%20and%20Manuals/Orion_Series.pdf

(Chris, I sincerely hope this unilateral action doesn't disqualify my eligibility into the prestigious CB club!?

(Chris, I sincerely hope this unilateral action doesn't disqualify my eligibility into the prestigious CB club!?

In the interest of full disclosure, consider the fact that I shopped around for them and did indeed obtain the lowest price and free shipping! Also I did in fact install them myself thus saving a bundle!)

With those disclosures you are on your way. Providing where you bought them, would certainly increase your chances with the CB Club membership.

You don't get kicked out of the CBs for having nice things; otherwise, simply owning a Mooney would disqualify you. Entry into the CB group depends on how you got the nice stuff. Discounts, buying used, having your hangar elf install it, or conning another plane owner out of it, are some (but not all) of the ways or maintaining membership.

• Like 3

With those disclosures you are on your way. Providing where you bought them, would certainly increase your chances with the CB Club membership.

I see the list price (ouch), but how much were you able to get them for?

The lowest price I found was $433.00 each.

I bought them from Spruce because they were able to match this price, had no sales tax and offered free shipping. They also have a no hassle return policy if it became necessary.

• Like 1

The lowest price I found was $433.00 each.

I bought them from Spruce because they were able to match this price, had no sales tax and offered free shipping. They also have a no hassle return policy if it became necessary.

Installed them myself.

Remember they don't need power supply, so if yours is bad and you have spend the money to replace it, it becomes a little less painful, at least that was my rationalization
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks very nice. I installed the Orion 600 in 2013 in mine and really like them. I even get compliments. They give the plane a more modern look if you ask me. Maybe it depends on the plane. Running the synch wire from wingtip to wingtip is a bit of a PIA.

The existing strobe power supplies are interconnected by a yellow wire. According to my Mooney wiring schematic at least, this yellow wire is continuous from one power supply to the other. It essentially is the sync wire and I utilized as such to synch the Orions.

Yes, I've got the strobe/nav combo, that did require a wire be run.

Thanks TJ... I presume you mean you needed to run a wire for the Aft Nav if your existing aft Nav lights are in the wing tips like mine.... I guess that would make those wing tip aft Nav lights redundant and could just have the bulbs removed...is that what you did?

AQ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks TJ... I presume you mean you needed to run a wire for the Aft Nav if your existing aft Nav lights are in the wing tips like mine.... I guess that would make those wing tip aft Nav lights redundant and could just have the bulbs removed...is that what you did?

AQ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, the 500 combo is both a nav and strobe, the strobe required a wire to be run, my nav lights are on the wing tips but are not the rear tip versions, so adding rear strobe gives me 360 collision coverage.
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

I have now two non functioning strobes: aft and stbd wing...was looking at the Whelen combo nav/ACL OR650/OR500....but the STC AML only lists the C, D E F & G....not the J :( or am I missing something?

AQ

That's correct. You aren't missing anything!

Whelen does not see the need to go to the expense to add the J to the STC. And I don't blame them.

I installed them last year. Straight forward. Gained a few pounds on useful load and dropped current draw. Check pics in my gallery.