New Camera Mount

I tried out a new mount for my GoPro this weekend.  I just used the standard flat surface mount that comes with the camera.  The mount is not removable without ruining the mount. But it doesn't seem to affect the flying at all so I might leave it there for now.

Here's a pic of the mount on the wing.

And this is the perspective from that mount.  I was shooting video and will upload one as soon as I get it edited.  I was careful to stick the mount directly on top of a row of rivets for added stabilization.  It still wobbles a little right before take off, but the rest of the flight and landing is very smooth.

I've also got an under wing mount that uses the tie-down bolt as the mount.  I'll have to take a picture of the mount.  But here's the same shot from under the other wing.

Cheers,

• Like 2

I'm like you bonal, would hate to lose one.

I have several of the GoPro's and the one I used with the sticky mount on the top of the wing is an older one and so wouldn't be a huge loss if it came off.  I don't want to tether it in anyway as I wouldn't want it flapping around if it came loose.  I'd rather it just disappeared. 

When you peal the mount off the wing, is it going to take the paint with it?

I will report back on this, but I don't think it will.  The removal will destroy the mount, but I think I can carefully remove it without damage to the paint.

Like the pics looking forward to some videos make sure to include some "footage" old school, from inside the pit. By the way looks like you live on a pool table got any mountains down there?

I have a camera inside the cockpit as well that is connected to the audio panel.  I just haven't worked out the best place to mount it yet. I've dried several locations, just not happy yet.

This is just East of Austin Texas which is on the East edge of the "Hill Country".  KERV (the home of Mooney) is exactly 100 nm West of me and 1300 ft. higher.

Any yaw issues with that thing mounted on the top of the wing?

Any paperwork?

No yaw or other issues at all.  I couldn't notice any difference at all, and I tried.  The way I read the regs, no paperwork is required as long as it doesn't cause a problem.

My underwing mount is absolutely secure and cost me all of $5 in parts from HomeDepot.  It takes 30 seconds to take the camera off or on. But it only works if you have the LASAR tie-down points.  I'll get some pictures of my underwing mount next time I'm out at the airport.

• Like 1

Oscar has quite a bit of experience flying with cameras mounted. Also know that he lost at least one. Perhaps he can share some of his experiences to prevent losing one...

I'm like you bonal, would hate to lose one.

Marauder, indeed I did lose not one but two cameras. But it was my fault. I used the suction cups and I flew into some weather. The rain loosened up the suction and the cameras disapperead into the guatemala tropical forrest. However, since I started using the sticky mount it works great. I have flown into some weather and no problem at all. The only issue I have is battery life... The battery life in my GoPros and Contours are rather short. VIRBs are much better, however, the picture quality in the VIRB, in particular the color is not as good as in the Contour, which I like the best.

• Like 1

You could hit the leading edge of a mooney wing with a baseball bat about 1' from the tip, creating a 3-5" dent, and fly the plane.... You would notice very little difference in the way of flight characteristics. A camera mounted out there is about the same.

Edit: reference: ferrying a 201 with a big dent on one wing to a service center for MX.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The removal will destroy the mount, but I think I can carefully remove it without damage to the paint.

I've used those sticky mounts on all sorts of things, and they are not destroyed when you remove them. Only the tape is. I bought a roll of 3M VHB (which is what's on them) and reuse them all the time. I have however had them remove paint before once or twice, when the tape bond was stronger than the paint bond. My club also had an incident where a member punched a hole in the bottom skin of one of the planes while using a screwdriver to remove the mount, so be careful.

I can tell you from experience that the suction mounts don't work. You will lose the camera especially when your speed increases on descent! The underwing mount works except that most remotes lose their wifi connection once you apply full power (possibly due to electrical noise). I have tried 3 cameras and I lost the ability to turn it off/on with underwing mounts. If the sticky mount on top of the wing works, that's great, but I am leery of losing a $300+ camera so I would rather bolt it down somehow.

Heat gun can be very aggressive and could damage the paintwork. I used a hair dryer with good results, just takes longer.

Suction mounts are risky in aviation. They work on the principle of differential pressure, so when you climb to around 6000 to 8000 ft above the elevation where you mounted it, it will fall off. You would have seen this happen if you use a windshield suction mount for a portable GPS in the cockpit.

I have mounted the camera on the wingtip before using a screw from the Nav light lens for insurance. Worked well with lots of peace of mind.

Tony

• Like 1

I have several of the GoPro's and the one I used with the sticky mount on the top of the wing is an older one and so wouldn't be a huge loss if it came off. I don't want to tether it in anyway as I wouldn't want it flapping around if it came loose. I'd rather it just disappeared.

I will report back on this, but I don't think it will. The removal will destroy the mount, but I think I can carefully remove it without damage to the paint.

I have a camera inside the cockpit as well that is connected to the audio panel. I just haven't worked out the best place to mount it yet. I've dried several locations, just not happy yet.

This is just East of Austin Texas which is on the East edge of the "Hill Country". KERV (the home of Mooney) is exactly 100 nm West of me and 1300 ft. higher.

No yaw or other issues at all. I couldn't notice any difference at all, and I tried. The way I read the regs, no paperwork is required as long as it doesn't cause a problem.

So if it causes a problem, paperwork fixes it? I don't follow the logic here. What reg are you interpreting that no paperwork is needed? How do you determine if there's a problem without paperwork, or with it?

So if it causes a problem, paperwork fixes it? I don't follow the logic here. What reg are you interpreting that no paperwork is needed? How do you determine if there's a problem without paperwork, or with it?

I'm referencing an FAA Memo clarifying the question of external mounting of cameras on certified aircraft.  I've uploaded the memo to the POH section of Downloads. 

• Like 1