New/ replacement fuel senders?

I bought a brand new EDM 900 to instal into my 67F, but this is turning into somewhat of a nightmare - read: expensive!

According to our regulations, it's either all or nothing, meaning that the installation cannot continue if I do not do it complete with all the functions that the EDM 900 offers, connected and fully functional.

First problem is my fuel senders. They've NEVER worked properly and if I want to install the EDM 900, they are required to be in 100% working order. I'm having them tested, again, but I already know the outcome. According to my instrument guy, the senders can worn through on the inside and if this happens, they cannot be fixed.

So, where do I go, in search of new, certified fuel sender units? Are there anybody else, besides Mooney who makes these and what would a good estimate be on the cost of these four units?

I'd appreciate your feedback.

I bought a brand new EDM 900 to instal into my 67F, but this is turning into somewhat of a nightmare - read: expensive!

... They've NEVER worked properly and if I want to install the EDM 900, they are required to be in 100% working order.

Well, the EDM900 is primary!

I concur with Lock Haven.

+++ for the Lock Haven service. When we installed a EDM 930 the avionics shop doing the work was sure the senders were not usable, they'd been modified, were mismatched and the Mooney savvy A&P next door opined one looked like a marine sender. However we sent them to PA who verified they were both Mooney approved parts and reconditioned them for what I thought was a very fair price. It's been 18+ months and the fuel quantity info is wonderful relative to any other plane I've flown.  

post-8913-0-39624100-1400703289_thumb.jp

This is an easy problem to fix. 

I installed a JPI 930 (I have a 1968 F model). 

I did not even consider using the original fuel senders as were old and unreliable.

The new style senders fit into the same locations in the same way and are a much better design. 

The beaty of using the JPI electronic gauges is that they can be calibrated to your specific senders. 

The Mooney senders are resistance senders, and are wired in series so the resistances are addative.

The JPI can be calibrated to your specific application and senders per their instructions.

I would discard the old style senders and replace them with the new style.

I have 2 new style senders that were rebuilt by Air Parts of Lackhaven left over from my rebuild project if you are interested.

These are the outboard senders.  I have the overhaul paperwork with them.

You can purchase 2 others new or used. 

My cell is (617) 877-0025 My e-mail johnabreda@yahoo.com

Thanks,

John Breda

Thanks John.

After all the problems I ran into with regards to this installation and the cost to replace the senders, I decided to just have the EDM 900 reprogrammed to exclude fuel quantity and continue to use the stock fuel quantity gauges instead.

I would be interested in your price though. I got a quote of $2700 for a complete set of replacement senders - that's without shipping and tax. Convert that to our South African Rand and these will set me back just about as much as the EDM 900 did! Ridiculous and not at all economically viable.