Inflatable door seals

Danb

I had one I the twin I owned and it was a noticeable difference between inflated and not, but I do not know how a properly fit fixed seal would have compared. I have debated the inflatable seal in the mooney, just haven't been able to justify the cost because my fixed seal did pretty well. Now that I removed the old seal I am once again debating on what seals to use.

• Like 1

Since we have the glue removal thread going for seals, who has or tried inflatable seals, comments, on ground in rain, noise reduction in flight vs. regular seals

Dan -- I have the Fields manual system. Works great! Every 5 years or so I had to have the rubber hose and bulb replaced. Uses the same kind as blood pressure cuffs. The electric version had an AD on it but that may have been corrected.

Funny you mention this. On my last flight I was setting up for a practice approach and heard this bearing like sound. It was only noticeable at around 100 knots and went away when I was flying faster. Thought I was losing something mechanical. I was about to head back to my home airport when I looked over to the door and gave bulb a couple of squeezes -- magically the sound went away. I think it was so cold that my normal 10 squeezes before take-off needed to be 12.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had one I the twin I owned and it was a noticeable difference between inflated and not, but I do not know how a properly fit fixed seal would have compared. I have debated the inflatable seal in the mooney, just haven't been able to justify the cost because my fixed seal did pretty well. Now that I removed the old seal I am once again debating on what seals to use.

Brian -- I flew with Chad in his 231 over to Lancaster. He was getting a lot of wind noise that I managed to stop by pressing on the seal. The nice thing about the pneumatic seal is that it blocks out all noise caused by any irregularities in the door fit.

I also have the manual inflatable seals.  I always have to pump them up again after take off but usually that is it.  The plane is noticably quieter with the seals inflated but I don't have a non-inflated seal comparison.  I've had the plane for 7 years and had to replace the tube and bulb early on.  There was also a small leak which was repaired with a blue sealant, rather than black, that has irritated me ever since but at least it works properly.

Chris, how is it the rain on the ground I have been getting different answers, if they are dry, I would be quite pissed since our local MSc u know who talked me out of it, that's how I ended up doing it three times trial and error ok now but lost lots of hours that could have been eliminated

I can only speak of the Mooney OEM door seals. I had the paint shop remove both my original baggage and entry door seals and replace them with the Mooney OEM.

The inflatables I think are too costly and prone to leaks. Also just another frivolous item that can malfunction.

As for noise they're not any better than properly installed OEM door seals.

I haven't seen any data anyway.

Chris, how is it the rain on the ground I have been getting different answers, if they are dry, I would be quite pissed since our local MSc u know who talked me out of it, that's how I ended up doing it three times trial and error ok now but lost lots of hours that could have been eliminated
Dan - when parking outside, I normally give it several pumps to partially inflate the seal. It is always dry after sitting in the rain or after I wash it. I do know that if I don't put a little air in it, it will leak. The big advantage is that it really quiets down the cockpit in flight. They are expensive but work. I have what they call the "manual" system. Sells for $390. I'm not sure I would want either the "deluxe" or electrical version. http://ultimatedoorseals.com/product.html

Dan - when parking outside, I normally give it several pumps to partially inflate the seal. It is always dry after sitting in the rain or after I wash it. I do know that if I don't put a little air in it, it will leak. The big advantage is that it really quiets down the cockpit in flight. They are expensive but work. I have what they call the "manual" system. Sells for $390. I'm not sure I would want either the "deluxe" or electrical version. http://ultimatedoorseals.com/product.html

It's $351 at chief.  http://www.chiefaircraft.com/bf-mooney-ec.html

• Like 1

I have the electric Fields version in my Rocket, it does not always shut off the pump automatically as it is supposed to I spoke to Fields he said I could use if like it is or send it in & he would change out the pressure switch for a few hundred bucks.... I do like the quite and now that I have one I would do it again but maybe the manual pump unit

Have a friend with fields unit in his 210 and has completely quit using his because he is afraid of electrical fire that he heard about.. I have not heard of any & fields said it was a no issue just turn the pump off... not a good response from fields in my opinion

I have a manual system and it is definitely a big improvement when inflated.  The few times I forgot to inflate them I noticed the noise and wondered what was going on until I realized they weren't inflated.  They haven't been a maintenance problem in the least.

Have a friend with fields unit in his 210 and has completely quit using his because he is afraid of electrical fire that he heard about.. I have not heard of any & fields said it was a no issue just turn the pump off... not a good response from fields in my opinion

There is an AD for the electrical units. I believe they have a fix for it. What I don't like about Fields is the kind of money they want for things like the replacement bulb and tube. Not to mention the electrical version. I am happy with the manual version.

• 3 weeks later...

I am intently interested in this thread as I have to replace my door seals and am debating manual vs electric and want to order them like, uhm now. :)  Does anyone have any good experience with the new electric one? The AD has been lifted, and the item hs been corrected as per the FAA on the new model. On the manual one, does the inflation bulb stick out in the way or can it be located somewhere where its out of sight until you need it?

I am intently interested in this thread as I have to replace my door seals and am debating manual vs electric and want to order them like, uhm now. :)  Does anyone have any good experience with the new electric one? The AD has been lifted, and the item hs been corrected as per the FAA on the new model. On the manual one, does the inflation bulb stick out in the way or can it be located somewhere where its out of sight until you need it?

I have the manual system and it has been in my plane since the late 80s. The bulb and hose to the seal is mounted under the co-pilot arm rest on the door. I believe there is an option for it to be moved to further inside of the cabin. Quite honestly, once I close the door, I pump it 10 times and forget it.

You should check out the repair price for the electric version. I believe it is pretty expensive.

I have the manual system and it has been in my plane since the late 80s. The bulb and hose to the seal is mounted under the co-pilot arm rest on the door. I believe there is an option for it to be moved to further inside of the cabin. Quite honestly, once I close the door, I pump it 10 times and forget it.

You should check out the repair price for the electric version. I believe it is pretty expensive.

Maurauder, thats a great idea thanks, i wonder if I could have it installed where the bulb is totally unobtrusive like under or behind the copilots seat. Im trying to find a solution where I can get to the control easily from the pilots seat. Ill ask my mechanic about repair costs of the electric version. Gracias!

JohnB,

I installed the manual this year and have been very pleased. The bulb is tucked neatly under the arm rest and is easily accessible from either seat. I did not have any concerns regarding the old AD but I opted for the much simpler install. No regrets. I'll see if I can find a pic.

• Like 1

Looks like the "deluxe" model allows the bulb to be moved to the pilot's side. As was noted by slowflyin, it is really not needed. You can easily reach it from the pilot seat. http://ultimatedoorseals.com/econ_vs_manual.htm I don't see the repair prices for the new style electric unit. But they want $900 to convert the "old" style to the "new" style. Sent using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I had the electric version in my J and am thinking very seriously about installing it in the Bravo. It made the plane noticeable quieter. It is a big bite from the "hand job" (manual) to the electric :lol: so I may go with the "hand job" (I'll see how my wife feels about that idea - Hey Now!!!!!)

• Like 1

I had the electric version in my J and am thinking very seriously about installing it in the Bravo. It made the plane noticeable quieter. It is a big bite from the "hand job" (manual) to the electric :lol: so I may go with the "hand job" (I'll see how my wife feels about that idea - Hey Now!!!!!)

Interesting Dave, any problems with your electric one? How long have you had it operation and has it needed repairing along the way?