Would love to get a ride in a Mooney

Maybe, depending on the elaboration...I'm in Rancho Murieta, which is probably close to you.  PM me

The elaboration is that I am a student pilot and thinking at this point that I would like to end up with a Mooney.  I won't know if I want a Mooney unless I get to fly in one.  Mr. JR Wilson and I have connected and we have a flight scheduled!  Isn't that cool.  I love this forum!!

• Like 1

Would anyone like to have me accompany them on a flight and share costs?  I live in Southeast Sacramento County and am willing to drive to where your Mooney is hangared.

I love your avatar nam freebird.  I heard some guy yesterday driving down the street in his convertible, top down, blasting freebird.  Good time.

I love your avatar nam freebird.  I heard some guy yesterday driving down the street in his convertible, top down, blasting freebird.  Good time.

I love Lynyrd Skynyrd, the Van Zant brothers and the song, but I am not a huge fan.  The name seemed apt for what I was longing when I joined here and what I am trying to achieve (besides the lifelong dream) by learning how to fly.

It appears to me that with the speed and efficiency of Mooney's that we are more free than in other types of airplanes.  However, I suppose that there might be a greater exhilaration from flying a fast ultralight, but I haven't tried that.

The elaboration is that I am a student pilot and thinking at this point that I would like to end up with a Mooney.  I won't know if I want a Mooney unless I get to fly in one.  Mr. JR Wilson and I have connected and we have a flight scheduled!  Isn't that cool.  I love this forum!!

when you get tired of scooting around at 95-110 knots in your 150 or cherokee 140 trainer, you'll love flying faster in the mooney.

• 2 weeks later...

Freebird will be hooked...... say no more!!

Thank you, JR. 

He was a great host.  His '63 C looks and feels like a new sports car!

The thing that most impressed me was the solid responsive controls.  I was very impressed.

Thank you, JR. 

He was a great host.  His '63 C looks and feels like a new sports car!

The thing that most impressed me was the solid responsive controls.  I was very impressed.

Ok did I call it or what....?  Like I said HOOKED.....

Welcome Freebird to the Mooney addiction!

Ok did I call it or what....?  Like I said HOOKED.....

Welcome Freebird to the Mooney addiction!

You got it, LLL! 

Now, what model and what equipment?

I'll probably take time to figure out my mission and what equipment will work best for it. My flight instructor says, "I think after you fly a year or two, you will have a better idea what gadgets and gizmos you would like in your own plane."

I'm talking to local pilots about what equipment they like.

Freebird... I am and have always been a Gadget Guy (not so much though anymore), heck once I flew to Chicago (commercial flight) just to get one of the first Palm Pilots (not an aviation device..)

For me the technologies have certain advantages and some disadvantages such I suspect it is for most all things.

However I am firmly convinced that while not "certified" there are many devices and applications now and that continue to be developed that avail themselves to you that are quite cost effective and are portable that you can carry with you as you fly and try out different "gizmos"..lol

For example the iLevil AHARS and and IPAD can offer a wide and cost effective & future backup.... flight resource!

I am also a big AOA (angle of attack) fan, but that is not something portable that you can take from plane to plane with you but one of what I consider a must added safety device... 

Good luck with finding the perfect Mission Aircraft.. in my over 30 years of flying I never found the perfect FIT ALL airplane...  I guess that is why I cant seem to part with my old station wagon.. i.e. Piper Saratoga, while it is no match for the Mooney in performance it will haul the mail so to speak and has room to be truly comfortable.  Just a couple months ago I flew it with two of my brothers on a 20.9 hr round trip flight....  I could have taken the Mooney and done it quicker but not with the load we had and no where near the comfort level for the back passenger!

In all cases wishing you a lifetime of great safe flying.... now that you are hooked!

Rocket on!