Lubing landing gear grease fittings

Sometimes it gets very hard to introduce grease into the landing gear grease fittings, although the aircraft is on jacks and there is no load on the gear.

Is there a gizmo other than a grease gun to aid in this? Or some trick?

Thanks

I have found Aeroshell 7 wont really go in the fittings sometimes. Too thick. We switched to AS 22 I think.  You can pull those fittings and clean them, pump some grease through while off the plane, then put it back in and give it hell

I have found Aeroshell 7 wont really go in the fittings sometimes. Too thick. We switched to AS 22 I think.  You can pull those fittings and clean them, pump some grease through while off the plane, then put it back in and give it hell

Hmm i'll try cleaning them. I think there is probably dirt in there because the fittings have no cap to prevent dirt from entering.

Thanks!

You can also get a grease fitting rejuvenator. It is a penlike device with a plunger that has a thin penetrating oil in it. It will clean them out. I think the local parts house sells them .

Aah great! That also sounds like a good idea :)

Thanks

I generally spend more time fighting with the pneumatic gun than actually dispensing grease. The cheap manual gun I bought at Tractor Supply works well with the tube of AeroShelll #7. Take a few seconds and wipe the fitting clean before clipping on the gun. I always find and clean all 8 or 11 fittings before adding any, so that I can start with the farthest/hardest to reach and end up with the easy ones that won't get grease on my arm reaching past them.

After a couple of annuals, it will get easier. Or at least that is my experience.

• Like 1

• 11 years later...
9 hours ago, outermarker said:

Is there a drawing showing the locations of all the grease fittings on the landing gear? 

No actual pictorial, but section 5 in the Mooney Service and Maintenance has the full lubrication section with specified lubricants.

19 hours ago, outermarker said:

Is there a drawing showing the locations of all the grease fittings on the landing gear? 

9 hours ago, RoundTwo said:

No actual pictorial, but section 5 in the Mooney Service and Maintenance has the full lubrication section with specified lubricants.

There are 11 on my nose wheel, and 8 on each main leg. I like to find and wipe all of them, then lube from the top down. That keeps me from reaching past several already-greased fittings to get one I missed, and getting more grease all over my arms . . . .

• Like 1

On 4/6/2024 at 10:14 PM, outermarker said:

Here's one of my main gear legs, with the fittings circled. Yeah, it's dirty and greasy, mid-annual a few years ago. Some are obviously pre-greasing, but some look post-greasing.

Happy hunting!

20190415_181609.jpg

20190415_181649.jpg

20190415_181724.jpg

20190415_181757.jpg

20190415_181843.jpg

20190415_182006.jpg