BROKEN TAC CABLE SUGGESTIONS

ELT

Returning from a trip this weekend my tac quit. The inner cable broke. I tried to find the inner cabel at the local owner manufactured parts supplier. None to be found. Has anyone used the 36 inch cable supplied by Aircraft Spruce? Looks like the way to go.

thanks for your input.

Eddie

Getting the right length is key. Should take less than an hour total time and give an improvement to the old tach's performance. A couple of wire ties to place it properly. It's not a long distance from the back of the engine to the back of the instrument panel.

Keep in mind this may require a mechanic's signature...

It's a great opportunity to work with your mechanic on a project. You can do the work, he does the supervision.

Best regards,

-a-

I had this happen to me in flight a couple of years ago. It sounded like 6 badgers fighting over a rabbit! Scared the bejeepers out of me. I had the cable replaced, can't remember where it came from, but also had the tach wired to the extra channel of my EI fuel flow gauge. Works like a champ, and if it ever happens again, I will have redundancy. And it won't scare me as much.

I'm not one to spend money just to spend money, but if a part breaks, I usually decide if it makes sense to replace the part or to repair it (which sometimes includes an overhaul).

When the tach in my former 67 F stoped counting hours, I knew it was not a simple fix. The RPMs still worked, but counting of hours (odometer quasi part) froze.

I took the opportunity to upgrade and after a lot of reserch decided on the Horizon digital tach. I was generally happy with the decision - I had debated between the EI and Horizon Digital Tachs, and even considered installing a digital Tach that kept the steam guage look to kepe the panel consistent. The panel on my former 67 F was haphazard, but laid out well enough (a previous owner had redesigned the pilot side into a quasi six pack.

Good luck finding a cable, but you may take the labor and parts charges and consider installing a digital tach. $150 vs $1000 however is quite a difference.

-Seth

At the same time I would contemplate a JPI 830 if you don't have a CHT/EGT system. And pick up a fuel flow sensor as well!

Things that you will appreciate and add value to your plane at the same time.

The tach cable is definitely a wear item. Get it replaced soon or it will knock the needle off the gauge.

Can you sense my experience???

Best regards,

-a-

THE REST OF THE STORY:

The cable arrived from Aircraft Spruce. The install is a beast. Over 3 hours I assisted the AP. The outter cable must be fine tuned to the correct length by twisting it. Tested OK. The next day we were having a "fly the new Cherry Point controller day" (they have 90 at the base). The tac did not work again. We did anothe quick fine tuning of the cable and good to go. If I have this problem again I would get an inner cable made at a speedo shop or get an electronic tac.

I had one break last year. My mechanic never mentioned having trouble finding one to replace it, he just billed me...

But my tach is acting up just a little. It almost never hits 2700 rpm on take-off. I thought the governor needed adjustment but the tack is reading low. I'm going to put in a JPI EDM930 and get rid of all the old junk. For the extra engine monitoring this will afford me, and the cost of an overhaul, the $10,000 price tag installed is worth it.

My apologies for the lousy photo. I am in the middle of a major avionics upgrade and the avionics tech sent me this photo of my tach cable. May be something others will want to look at. The cable has been rubbing on the scat tubing next to it and began rusting. I was at the shop late last week and had an opportunity to see the cable first hand. The outer sheathing is compromised and you can actually see the inner cable. In addition, the tech pointed out all of the duct work behind the panel was rotted! We did have any problems ordering the replacement cable. If you are still looking for one, let me know and I will ask where he got the replacement.

The second photo is the current open panel status -- I just hope it all goes back together correctly!

tach.jpg

IMG00048-20121017-1500.jpg

• 1 month later...

Horizon P-1000. Love it. Customer service was great, as it was bought second hand...

With the P-1000 you can see what is really going on with rhe engine. Better than the old needle reader on the far passenger side.

The mag check feature is a really nice perk as well

My 2 cents

I put a Horizon tach in my old M20F and my problems were gone forever. In my current M20J I had the same tach problems and replaced it with a UMA electronic Tach and it has been trouble free as well. The only problem with the UMA is the hour meter is hard to read.

The hardest part about both installs was removing the old tach cable.