My first go around

FloridaMan

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since we're on the topic.

Key topic of Mooney go arounds...

Full power with full flaps and trimmed for landing, causes a full nose up condition quickly,  remember to control the nose while making the other pressure reducing and drag reducing adjustments.....

Anyone else remember this one??? .

Best regards,

-a-

Just watched the video again. Thanks for sharing and no doubt the PAPI is white/white. Lets face it...we've all done it. A gusty day, blowing you around wanting to hold centerline making adjustments to the wind and you don't flare enough (or at all). It looks like you touched down flat, carrying too much speed and our flying friendly Mooney wanted to continue to fly. You did the right thing and went around. No shame in that and is a sign of a good aeronatical decision. Great video and Carusoam makes a great point about decreasing that nose up condition when you go full power.

The PAPI at KSPG is on a 4 degree glidepath. On the first approach, it's clearly white/white, so the aircraft is above that. I don't think he's "dragging it in" at all. I agree with the OP and think that some of you are being swayed by the strange runway dimensions. There is quite an optical illusion going on when a runway that short is 150' wide. 

I looked at the video and had a hard time seeing why the go-around.  Perspective in videos and photos is often difficult however.  It did look like the aircraft was nose low, but I did not see much of a bounce, maybe it was just not very visible.  It did not look to me as though there is any xwind at all unless rudder correction was put in before the video started, the nose was nearly directly down the runway.

In any event, what I did see on both landings was some lateral drift to the left, usually caused by failing to bank into the right crosswind, and correct for the bank with opposite rudder.  Also need to keep the nose off at the end.

If you do bounce and there is plenty of runway left, as appears to be the case in the video, the landing can be saved by putting in a little bit of power as though doing a soft field landing, and pitching nose up a little.  This will allow a pretty much normal landing, although a little further down the runway than originally intended.  Not a good thing to try on a short runway.

Good call on the go around.

One of the most important parts of a go-around is the change in pitch that results.  Anyone that's done a go-around in a Lake LA4-250 will know that if you're not ready for the downward pitch change, you'll likely finish the flight upside down and wet.

Always important to feel out the pitch change of adding full power while at a comfortable altitude.

Quote: Parker_Woodruff

One of the most important parts of a go-around is the change in pitch that results.  Anyone that's done a go-around in a Lake LA4-250 will know that if you're not ready for the downward pitch change, you'll likely finish the flight upside down and wet.

Always important to feel out the pitch change of adding full power while at a comfortable altitude.

It seems to me that unless you're flying into a very short runway with trees, or other obstructions at the other end, there's really no need to go immediately full power on the go around. I just put in enough power to get a little climb going while I work on the trim, then go full when it's easier to control the yoke.

I'm glad to see this thread drifting to something other than "Was the op's approach flat or not?"Undecided

Yeah that was N201ZZ in SRQ.  

The vast, vast majority of Mooney landing accidents are from an overrun or a bounce, hard landing, then a departure from the side of the runway, with or without gear collapse.  In almost all instances, the approach was too fast, unstabilized, and then the pilot atrempted to "set" the airplane on the runway.  If you land on 3 wheels at once the aircraft can get violent beyond your control before you can realize it.    If you are in the "85 knots over the fence" crowd, you are on the list for the next one.  The stall speed is 60 MPH CAS per the certification requirements.  Exceeding 1.2X this value (depends on weight) is at your own peril.

My first few landings in this thing were like "Whoa, WTF is wring with this thing?"

The last short field landing I did in the M20J was 3 people, half tanks. 63 KIAS over the fence, full stall landing. After stopping, the 1000' marks were 200 feet in front of us. This is not an exception.