Mooneyspace website upgrade

mooniac58

Hello all,

I have been looking at moving Mooneyspace over to an IP Board forum/site package.  Because this forum is a custom platform it will require the hiring of a developer to massage the data from one platform to the other.

Currently this developer is quoting this project and I should have a price soon.  However, I am guessing we are looking at $1000 to $3000 to do this and then going forward IP Board will cost about $30-$50 per month to host.

So, in order to do this I will be reaching out to all of you with some kind of fundraising project.  I will likely use Kickstarter so that you will not be charged until the goal we set is met.  The only downfally is Kickstarter/Amazon take about 10% of the pool so it will have to be larger than the actual amount required in order to cover overhead of the fundraising.

I wanted to just get all of your feedback on this and to see what the level of interest is.  I have kept Mooneyspace online for 4 years without asking for anything -but if we want all of the issues fixed and a better website we will need to make this migration.

Thank you!

I think the vast majority of the regular members will be glad to pitch in. I know I will. It isn't that much when you spread it out among the members. Why not set up a paypal account and then put a donation link on mooneyspace with a counter to show how much has been raised?  My guess is that you will have the money in a couple of days.

Craig-

Great job with MooneySpace and also realizing it is time to work out the bugs and ensure the valuable data is not lost through a simple mishap.  I'd be glad to pitch in as well.  You let us know what you think is reasonable, and I'm sure a great deal of us will gladly pay for this "subscription" on an annual basis. 

It is indeed the right move - and we appreciate the 4 free years so far.  It's a lot of work - I know.

-Seth

I'll gladly contribute! But I second the motion to have a contribution collected somewhere without losing a percentage off the top. One time, annual, monthly, whatever. The information here is priceless, and I've found some friends, too.

Wow, FOUR YEARS already! How time flies . . . . [no pun intended!] I had to look at my avatar to confirm the date.

Thanks for all the support guys!  I will look into PayPal as an option.  Granted - they will still take 3-5% more than likely...someone has to pay the credit card fees, etc.

What I liked about something like kickstarter is that I don't have to refund people if the goal is not met.  With kickstarter it stores all the "pledges" and only charges them if the goal is met.  For example if the project costs $2000 and I only raise $1000 I won't be moving forward with the migration and I would need to refund everyone, which could be time consuming and result in more fees, etc.

Craig and my fellow Mooney pilots,

I personally consider Mooneyspace a valuable asset. I am very gratefull to all the Mooney pilots and the professional aviators out there who always and very patiently offer their advice for the taking. I want to extend to all a big and heartfelt "THANK YOU!" You provide an excellent service in sustaining our common Mooney passion!

As an expression of my gratitude I'd like to make a personal pledge of $250.00 towards this project, to be used in anyway you see fit to improve Mooneyspace. Thank you all!Cool

I like paypal , The information I have gleaned from the archived information has been instrumental in my success as a new Mooney owner. My confidence  as a Mooney pilot has been raised to the right level by all the participants here , thanks! I'll be glad to help keep this infomation available to new Mooney owners!

Look , I'm going to go ahead and fine myself a $100 liars fee for the use of this great resource! Where else could I tell these stories without being questioned?