Clean that belly without goofing off

Danb

40 minutes ago, Hank said:

Try Wash n Wax Red. Spray on, wait a minute, wipe off. You're done. Leaves a slick wax-like finish behind. I use terrycloth towels from big box stores, 100% cotton, because they're cheap. But I just bought a perforated roll of tear-off microfiber towels . . .

That's a popular choice I haven't got to yet, but I will.  If I find something that works, I will sing praises.

EDIT:  Just ordered some.

14 hours ago, Hank said:

Try Wash n Wax Red. Spray on, wait a minute, wipe off. You're done. Leaves a slick wax-like finish behind. I use terrycloth towels from big box stores, 100% cotton, because they're cheap. But I just bought a perforated roll of tear-off microfiber towels . . .

They guy who applied my ceramic coating does not like the use of the Red.  He is OK with blue for removing bugs.

He recommends the products from Granitize XC11-G and XG5-G.  The only place I can fine to order them is Sky Geek, and for a gallon of each, they want $68 in shipping.  Which is more than the two jugs cost.

6 hours ago, Pinecone said:

They guy who applied my ceramic coating does not like the use of the Red.  He is OK with blue for removing bugs.

He recommends the products from Granitize XC11-G and XG5-G.  The only place I can fine to order them is Sky Geek, and for a gallon of each, they want $68 in shipping.  Which is more than the two jugs cost.

That's a new one I'll add to the list.  Thanks.

25 minutes ago, Fly Boomer said:

Tried those to no effect.  I suspect the crud on my belly would make any self-respecting Mooney pilot cringe -- it's bad, and it's baked on.

I finally fixed all the oil leaks in my 56 Cessna. So I'm cleaning the belly. The previous (RIP) owner's son told me it always leaked oil. So there is decades of gunk. I have made it from the tail to the wheels so far. Shooting for the firewall today. I'm using mineral spirits, then Goof Off with a scrub brush, then soap and water. Disgusting job. My wife says I should hire someone to do it. Where do you find this person?

On 9/20/2024 at 8:21 AM, Danb said:

I’ve used everything but the automotive gel by goof off is superior to anything I’ve tried. Doing the belly is close to effortless 

Not effortless on my gunk, It is cutting through it. It is taking three applications with scrubbing to get it off. The alcohol seems to do more than the limonene, but it evaporates in about 20 seconds and you are left with the limonene. 

On 9/23/2024 at 5:12 PM, Fly Boomer said:

I think you may have posted the Goop idea a while back.  Anyway, I tried it on something stuck on my belly and, like the other dozen things I have tried, it had no effect.  I think this stuff is a combination of oil and turbo exhaust that wasn't cleaned off for years.  I have a few more things on my list before I give up.

Have you tried Release 32 oz Ready to Use Aircraft Cleaner/Degreaser | Aircraft Spruce

or

Xhaust & Soot Remover | Aircraft Spruce

I have found that these two work very well on tough issues but you have probably tried them already.  Just a thought.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2024 at 6:12 PM, Fly Boomer said:

I think you may have posted the Goop idea a while back.  Anyway, I tried it on something stuck on my belly and, like the other dozen things I have tried, it had no effect.  I think this stuff is a combination of oil and turbo exhaust that wasn't cleaned off for years.  I have a few more things on my list before I give up.

Try Buddha Belly. It works.

https://planeperfect.us/products/bbb?srsltid=AfmBOoqAmbEEzPCv0fxpcq9iFGjbny5Q42t7XdkNjftArRcNpm2cQEiE

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

It's probably holding the airplane together and keeping the CO out.    Might want to leave that on.  ;)

The paint is pretty good under the crud. It did a good job of preserving it. Probably better than that new fangled ceramic stuff. It doesn’t look quite as good.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2024 at 5:45 PM, Brandt said:

I have a hard time using cleaners that weren't developed for aircraft when there are plenty available that were and work well. 

I've got to say that Buddha Belly works better than Wash Wax All belly soap.  Much less elbow grease.

42 minutes ago, Greg Ellis said:

For you folks that use Buddha Belly, the instructions on the website say to try first in an inconspicuous spot and to dilute as necessary to avoid staining.  Have any of you found that it has stained anything?

interesting.  I don't believe I caught that before as I purchased off Aircraft Spruce and that statement isn't there...on Spruce the statement is a little more muted to say, 'Buddha Belly consists of a citrus cutting agent and two surfactants that is pH balanced to safely lift oil, grease and grime. Buddha contains no petroleum distillates, but that doesn't mean it isn't tough! Always test on a small surface area first and never leave to dry. You can even dilute Buddha to your liking if it's too tough! Works great on engine bays as well."

I've not diluted and haven't noticed any staining or untoward effect.

13 hours ago, Greg Ellis said:

Have you tried Release 32 oz Ready to Use Aircraft Cleaner/Degreaser | Aircraft Spruce

or

Xhaust & Soot Remover | Aircraft Spruce

I have found that these two work very well on tough issues but you have probably tried them already.  Just a thought.

I don't have the name in front of me, but I bought a gallon of something from Spruce that I have not tried yet (smallest quantity they sell).  I think it must be pretty aggressive, because you are supposed to flush with liberal quantities of water.  I have a 20-gallon tank, but I need to fit some kind of pressurization or pump so I can use that stuff.  One way or the other, thanks for the suggestions.