LASAR Ordering Intake Ducts for B/C/D/G and E/F Models

If you were on the wait list for LASAR to order an intake duct they should be contacting you if they haven't already. If you weren't on the list you have about 1-2 weeks to place an order before they submit. Yes, they are expensive and it is a 35-week lead time...

They are also placing an order for the E/F which is a different part number 600115-005. 

This is the email from Heather at LASAR with the information regarding the B/C/D/G Models.

"I have you down on my waitlist for an intake duct part number 600064-000 (B,C,D, G Models). We are about to make a purchase for these and need to know how many customers want to place the order. There is going to be a 35-week lead time once the order is placed. The price of the ducts stays the same at $672.00. If you want to place an order, we are taking deposits for half the price of the duct up front of $335.00 and once the ducts are ready to ship we will charge for the remaining cost. I’m attaching a copy of the order form that needs to be filled out and emailed back to me at this email. If you are uncomfortable sending CC info, you can leave that part out and call me on my direct line for that info (541-398-7430), all other information needs to be filled out on the form."

Her email is heather@lasar.com.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Skates97 said:

If you were on the wait list for LASAR to order an intake duct they should be contacting you if they haven't already. If you weren't on the list you have about 1-2 weeks to place an order before they submit. This is the email from Heather at LASAR with the information. Yes, they are expensive and it is a 35-week lead time...

"I have you down on my waitlist for an intake duct part number 600064-000 (B,C,D, G Models). We are about to make a purchase for these and need to know how many customers want to place the order. There is going to be a 35-week lead time once the order is placed. The price of the ducts stays the same at $672.00. If you want to place an order, we are taking deposits for half the price of the duct up front of $335.00 and once the ducts are ready to ship we will charge for the remaining cost. I’m attaching a copy of the order form that needs to be filled out and emailed back to me at this email. If you are uncomfortable sending CC info, you can leave that part out and call me on my direct line for that info (541-398-7430), all other information needs to be filled out on the form."

Her email is heather@lasar.com.

Skates, do you mind adding E, F to your topic name?  I think it was a good idea to make a new topic and get as many people as possible!  I got the same email from Heather and same timeline for E/F boots.  They are $606, $310 deposit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jamesm said:

I might be interested... Do you know if there is  a shelf life Intake boots?  if so do you know how long?

I would think a loooong time, if kept in an air tight bag with desiccant in a dark closet in your house, not the hangar.  That would be my plan.  

Then, after I’ve passed on, my heirs will find it, wonder what it is, not realize its value, and toss it in the bin.  And declare me a hoarder.

I replaced my intake duct in 2010.  LASAR had it in stock for just over .3 amu.  I’m contemplating ordering one for the future, but mine is in such good shape I’m debating on maybe waiting for the next round.  I had to do one small repair where I had allowed the carb air duct to touch the intake duct.  It had a pea sized chafe mark on top of one of the reinforcing wires.  I repaired it with some fiberglass cloth and high-temp black RTV.  That was several years ago and the repair is stable. 

If I had an E or F, I think I’d order one, regardless.  They appear to be subject to more wear than the B/C/D/G models.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, 47U said:

I would think a loooong time, if kept in an air tight bag with desiccant in a dark closet in your house, not the hangar.  That would be my plan.  

Then, after I’ve passed on, my heirs will find it, wonder what it is, not realize its value, and toss it in the bin.  And declare me a hoarder.

I replaced my intake duct in 2010.  LASAR had it in stock for just over .3 amu.  I’m contemplating ordering one for the future, but mine is in such good shape I’m debating on maybe waiting for the next round.  I had to do one small repair where I had allowed the carb air duct to touch the intake duct.  It had a pea sized chafe mark on top of one of the reinforcing wires.  I repaired it with some fiberglass cloth and high-temp black RTV.  That was several years ago and the repair is stable. 

If I had an E or F, I think I’d order one, regardless.  They appear to be subject to more wear than the B/C/D/G models.

Interesting data point.  I replaced mine about 15 years ago and I need a new one.  Considered ordering two but this one should outlast me.  

I know the $600ish sounds steep for something that goes into storage, but I definitely recommend ordering one.  If yours is damaged, there’s been no stock (new or used) available for ~5 months and there’s another 35 weeks lead time in this current order.  It’s an airworthiness item, so you could be sol.  Yes, some minor repairs are possible, but they can get delicate with age or torn with a ham handed lower cowl removal.

20 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

Skates, do you mind adding E, F to your topic name?  I think it was a good idea to make a new topic and get as many people as possible!  I got the same email from Heather and same timeline for E/F boots.  They are $606, $310 deposit.

Will do, I know they are different part numbers and wasn't aware that they were putting in orders for both. I'll update the original post as well.

• Like 1

• Skates97 changed the title to LASAR Ordering Intake Ducts for B/C/D/G and E/F Models
3 hours ago, DCarlton said:

There are at least three threads on this same topic now.  Would be nice to have them all integrated for reference.  Here's two of them including the 7 pager... 

I considered adding it to one of the other threads but thought having the thread title that an order was getting placed might be helpful instead of someone thinking it was just a discussion on the part.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

I considered adding it to one of the other threads but thought having the thread title that an order was getting placed might be helpful instead of someone thinking it was just a discussion on the part.

Yeah, I think it was wise to start a new thread. It’s good to give as many people the chance as possible to order one. Thanks for doing that skates.

• Like 1

For a 1967 M20F, does anyone have enough experience with intake boots to know if the 600115-003 is the same as 600115-005?  The 1965-67 parts catalog (downloaded from Mooneyspace) lists the part as -003, while the 1968-78 parts catalog lists it as -005.

3 hours ago, bhtitle said:

For a 1967 M20F, does anyone have enough experience with intake boots to know if the 600115-003 is the same as 600115-005?  The 1965-67 parts catalog (downloaded from Mooneyspace) lists the part as -003, while the 1968-78 parts catalog lists it as -005.

They are the same dimensionally. The old -003 was a smooth duct from flange to flange. The -005 has an “accordion” style duct from flange to flange. As far as I know, they have not made the -003 since LBJ was in office… I have a 67F and it has always had a -005 installed.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bhtitle said:

Great info, thanks!  Guess it’s time to bust out another $600 for a spare.

After some serious google fu, I was able to find an image of an old -003 duct. If not for the visible cross section, one could be forgiven for thinking it was constructed of leather.

IMG_0618.jpeg.fb548e2b99428846742efd37729060ce.jpegIMG_0620.jpeg.ffc73ed88f5e6040d06bedb4929196c1.jpeg

10 minutes ago, FlyingDude said:

Before dumping more money into my expensive hobby, are we sure that these new ducts will be good?  I recall previous threads here and on Facebook that showed some really crappy ducts purchased from Lasar? 

I mean, something like this really tickles my hoarder soul, so my demons are screaming "buy it", but ... Anyone know why there were bad ones and what will change this time around?

If the one you receive is bad, send it back and file an SDR with the FAA. The PMA process requires quality checks. if a bad one gets to the field, there is a quality failure that needs to be corrected.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2024 at 7:50 AM, DCarlton said:

I replaced mine about 15 years ago and I need a new one.

Heather is still taking orders… I signed up for one.  Even if my current one is still airworthy in 10 or 12 years when I decide to hang it up and put 47U on the market, having a spare intake duct should be a huge selling point.  :)