Minimax Tug

drapo

• 9 months later...

Yeah, finally bought it last November. The intent was to help me during the winter season so I wouldn't end up on my behind while trying to pull the Mooney up a slope from its tiedown using the original tow bar.

While it works great during dry operation, I wouldn't recommend it for snowy or icy conditions, as it is most of the times innefective...

So, final note, for a Canadian operator, about 70%, the plus side is that I can always use the Dewalt drill for something else when I don't use the tug...  :)

UPDATE: So everyone understands, the problem is more with the icy surface than the tug. I now use cleets for the initial *climb* then I rely on the tug for the rest of the pull. The manufacturer also has a special roller for more grip on the tire for those icy conditions, but in my case, wouldn't help because the problem is the icy surface.

Anyway, here's the link: http://www.minimaxtugs.com/product_p/035driveroller.htm

Exactly what I wanted to hear.  I'm slipping and sliding in Minnesota.  I can move my airplane on my own easily in dry conditions.  I'll keep looking.  Thanks!

Have you tried those things you put on your shoes that are spikes?  I got some at the gas station and I keep them in my hangar.  Just remember to take them off before you get in the plane!

Exactly what I wanted to hear. I'm slipping and sliding in Minnesota. I can move my airplane on my own easily in dry conditions. I'll keep looking. Thanks!
If you find something that costs less than a college tutuition, let us know! I am dealing with the same stuff; slippery ramp with an incline to get into the building.

Exactly what I wanted to hear. I'm slipping and sliding in Minnesota. I can move my airplane on my own easily in dry conditions. I'll keep looking. Thanks! Have you tried those things you put on your shoes that are spikes? I got some at the gas station and I keep them in my hangar. Just remember to take them off before you get in the plane!
Now that is a different approach. Do you know the brand on them?

Now that is a different approach. Do you know the brand on them?

Cheap and easy!  They are common to find around here at the gas station, at the walmart, at the outdoor store.  If you are also in the land of winter ice, I bet they have been under your nose all along too.  There are many brands but here are two:

http://www.amazon.com/YakTrax-Yaktrax-Walker-Black-S/dp/B001CZJIPA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360171405&sr=8-1&keywords=yaktrax+walker

http://www.amazon.com/Stabilicers-Lite-Serious-Traction-Cleat/dp/B009ZPWMIE/ref=pd_sim_sg_4

They both work well (I have both) but I would recommend the first for running since they have some spring in your step, and the second for raw ice grip power like when pulling an airplane around by hand on sheer ice.

Cheap and easy!  They are common to find around here at the gas station, at the walmart, at the outdoor store.  If you are also in the land of winter ice, I bet they have been under your nose all along too.  There are many brands but here are two:

http://www.amazon.com/YakTrax-Yaktrax-Walker-Black-S/dp/B001CZJIPA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360171405&sr=8-1&keywords=yaktrax+walker

http://www.amazon.com/Stabilicers-Lite-Serious-Traction-Cleat/dp/B009ZPWMIE/ref=pd_sim_sg_4

They both work well (I have both) but I would recommend the first for running since they have some spring in your step, and the second for raw ice grip power like when pulling an airplane around by hand on sheer ice.

Thanks for the links. Much more kind to my already worn out wallet.

A side question; several of the owners in my hangar complex have installed electric winches to pull their planes in by the tail hook. I have never considered this option. Anyone know how strong the tail hook is on our planes?

How about golf shoes? Talking older, pre softspike days. Probably not wise to step up on wing...
That is my worry about any of the "spiked" options, I might be just dumb enough to climb my wing with them on. Oh, wait, I got an easy fix! I'll sell my Mooney and buy a Cessna! No chance of stepping on the wing then!

For a $12 pair of ice-specific spikes I wouldn't bother messing around with old golf shoes.  Besides in cold weather it is nice to keep your shoes on.  Plus you do walk kinda funny on them so that helps remind you not to get up on your wing.  I suppose you could add to your winter preflight check list, "remove spiked shoe covers".

These things are good - I did the winter man triathlon a few years ago (my wife did it this year) which is roughly (forgot the distances exactly) 7k speedskate, 7k cross country ski, 5k run - and you run the ice canal.  Its nice to run with some traction on a zambonied track, so I used these - the yaktrak version.  This is when I learned about them.

Thanks for the links. Much more kind to my already worn out wallet.

A side question; several of the owners in my hangar complex have installed electric winches to pull their planes in by the tail hook. I have never considered this option. Anyone know how strong the tail hook is on our planes?

I used a winch for several years until I needed to make a tight turn inside the hangar.  As long as I was going straight in, it worked great.  I just bolted it to the floor at the back of the hangar and it always pulled the plane right into place.

She is going to have problems pushing my plane in too! I don't see spikes on her anywhere. :)

You guys are very demanding and I'm getting concerned about your priorities. Don't bolt this spiked wench to the floor, and it's OK if you're late to the fly-in. ;)

spikywench34.jpg

• 2 years later...

I was in the market for a tug and found recent reviews on other forums discussing the problems various customers had with Minimax when their tugs didn't perform.  There is a YouTube video review at www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OSBMS_D8_Y that shows the various problems. 

Based on what I've read, I'm now in the market for a used lawn tractor to convert to a tug.  A $100-$200 used tractor sure beats any potential issues with Minimax's $1,400 tug. 

• Like 1

Seems like something like:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200455486_200455486

would work fine for getting a plane back in the hangar over a slippery slope.  However, if the slope was too steep, a yoke to the two main gear might be necessary to prevent over-stressing the tail tie-down.

NB:  I don't have one, never used one and don't need one here in GA.  Just speculating.  ;)