Today's flight for 2023

Came back to AZ from WY on Sunday while Tropical Storm Hilary was making weather all the way up to where we were in WY.   Our departure from WY was delayed waiting for the temperature to rise above the dew point so that we could see the mountains around the airport a little bit better, and particularly the departure down the valley to the south.    Once we did get out it was reasonably smooth and easy until we got back to AZ, where it was scattered cells and a LOT of gusty crosswind for landing.    Pulled out all the stops for gusty xwind landing tricks and used all of the 4500 ft runway at Deer Valley.    I've never taxied off of the runway at that end before.    ;)

And the boat ramps at Lake Powell actually touch the water now!

May be an image of aircraft

• Like 4

Staring right up China Airlines's skirt on the taxiway leaving Prague yesterday. There is another commercial airliner holding short to lineup, one landing, and one behind me. I wish the guy behind me could have taken a picture and somehow found a way to get it to me. It was like being a guppy in a shark tank.

China Airlines *.jpeg

Misterjaw and buddy.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, Sue Bon said:

and one behind me

“Caution prop wash” :lol: you could get an airliner Captain momentarily lose his brain for few seconds using that instruction, skip to 1:00 

• Haha 5

• 4 weeks later...

Flew to southern Germany today for lunch with a flying buddy. We were routed south of Zurich for a nice view of the city. At our destination, the Zeppelin was taking off as we were waiting for our departure slot. He named the photo, "the fast and the fat." :)

IMG_0285.jpeg

IMG_0287.jpeg

• Like 4

Epic flight on Saturday. I decided to try to hit all the airports in the Inland Empire in a single flight. Video and blog post coming in the next week or so.

Totals:
Flight Time 1:58
13 Airports (Including KFUL where I'm based)
12 Touch-n-go's and 1 full stop back at KFUL

image.png.1e4f816cf18c25d1bbf821b799f4a7de.png

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Skates97 said:

Epic flight on Saturday. I decided to try to hit all the airports in the Inland Empire in a single flight. Video and blog post coming in the next week or so.

Totals:

Looks like you missed March and Banning?:D

Oh, and what was the diversion south after Riverside?

41 minutes ago, MikeOH said:

Looks like you missed March and Banning?:D

Oh, and what was the diversion south after Riverside?

March won't let you do a touch n go, I'm claiming Banning as no man's land between the IE and Palm Springs. :lol:

Riverside was extremely busy. Ended up flying all the way around to the south side of their airspace after leaving Flabob before I could get tower to acknowledge me. Then tower initially gave me a full stop even though asking for the touch n go, asked again and he then cleared the option and left closed traffic, instead of trying to get a departure to CNO I just asked for a SW departure to get out of his airspace and regroup. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Flew to Cal Black airport in southern UT today for the annular eclipse.   That airport is about as BFE as you can get in the 48 contiguous, with the nearest tiny town being about 50 miles away.    The parking ramp filled up and overflowed a bit, but there was space for everybody that showed up.    Was a ton of fun.    A couple guys flew some powered weight-shift hang gliders from Albuquerque the day before and camped out.    There were people from CO, CA, AZ, NM, it was pretty cool.

20231014_095423.jpg

20231014_102138.jpg

20231014_102147.jpg

20231014_103056.jpg

• Like 6

13 hours ago, EricJ said:

Flew to Cal Black airport in southern UT today for the annular eclipse.   That airport is about as BFE as you can get in the 48 contiguous, with the nearest tiny town being about 50 miles away.    The parking ramp filled up and overflowed a bit, but there was space for everybody that showed up.    Was a ton of fun.    A couple guys flew some powered weight-shift hang gliders from Albuquerque the day before and camped out.    There were people from CO, CA, AZ, NM, it was pretty cool.

Do you have photos of the eclipse?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sue Bon said:

Do you have photos of the eclipse?

No, my phone couldn't capture it even through the eclipse glasses, or even looking into the telescope of the guys next to us.  It looked like all of the other pics you see of it, though.  ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/25/2023 at 1:07 PM, Skates97 said:

Totals:

Too bad you didn't fly a pattern to draw little hats on them- it would look to me like "Spy vs. Spy"  :P

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sue Bon said:

Haunted how? Ghosts of people killed in irresponsible boating accidents?

The lake was created by flooding a community in a valley (including a cemetery).

It has a very high number of drowning deaths. Some say because it is cursed. I just remember how many incompetent boaters there were when I grew up sailing on it. Most of the drownings are boating related.

• Sad 1