How does the rear seat room in a C/E model compare

dmc

Ive sat in a E model, but really didn't pay that much attention to the rear seat.  I had my wife sit back there, but she was sitting behind the empty co-pilot seat and I'm not sure if that seat was all the way forward or not.  How does the rear seat room compare to a 172 or a Cheerokee?  There are plenty of those around to look at. 

I'm 5'10", and my son can't sit behind me.  I feel like the yoke is in my chest when I scoot up.  I flew my son (5'9") and his friend (co pilot seat).  My son had to sit sideways b/c he couldn't get his legs behind us comfortably.

When I trained in a 172, my kids would come occasionally, but they were much younger and my instructor was 5'6" on a good day.

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of.  I was thinking the F or G model was the way to go, we will need room for 4 from time to time.  I was just hopeing that a C or E might also work as there seems to be more of them for sale.  I'm 6' and my wife is around 5-9 or 10.  My son and his wife are also fairly tall. 

Watch your useful load with your decision too.  I have 950lbs-ish.  With 30 gallons of fuel that leaves about 750 for people and stuff...

I do NOT feel to close to my yoke when I have my seat at correct position (32" inseam)  I DO have a shoulder harness though.  My daughter is NOT a child, but is slightly under FAA "average weight"...She is 5'5" and can sit behind me no problem.  I believe the useful load vs. the size is the limiting factor unless you have someone over 6' or two people over 6' in the front.

Full fuel and 4 people in my 1970 M20E out of a small airport in Newport, NH. Come on really?

http://www.newportnh.net/index.php?nav=147

The airport is a 3450 foot runway and we used about 1500-2000 feet. I don't remember exactly because it was years ago. It's the first and last time I flew in and out of the runway. And that's a long runway in my opinion. I usually fly in and out of Middlebury, VT which is a normal 2500 feet.

My Mooney has a useful load of 950 pounds.

So let's do the math here.

Me=200 pounds (6'2")

Co-Pilot= 150 pounds (5'9")

Wife= 130 pounds (5'4")

Mom=130 pounds (5"2")

Fuel=312 pounds.

TOTAL Weight = 922 pounds. Under the limit. We flew 1.5 hours and I did put my seat 1 notch further forward. It was fine. It's not like we are going to fly 4-6 hours in this configuration.

I've had my wife and my son in the my E I'm 6-2 wife 5-4 son 5-6 for 3.5 hours from ORL.  Yes the F would be better but most of the time I'm in the plane by myslef.  The statement bove is ure there ae more short body Pre J's for sale jsut because there are more of them. I belive most"four seat" aircraft really can only fit 3 before maxing out on weight unless they are small assuming full fuel.

Thanks again,  I've just started working on my PPL and I'm trying to figure out what plane to buy.  At first I was thinking 172 as that is what I'm training in, but after some research I'd rather buy my second plane first. 

I went to the airport today and went through the Confederate Air Force museum they have there.  While the guy there was showing me the planes they have in the hanger, I noticed a few other planes there in the back.  One of them was a G model Mooney.  He said a member owned it, but wasn't there today.  I did get a good look at it though.  Hopefully I'll get a chance to talk to him some.  So there are at least 2 Mooney owners at my fairly small airport. 

I'm thinking that I really only need a 2 place plane 90% of the time, but from what I can tell the F and G models arn't that much more expensive.  Maybe I'm wrong as it is hard to compare planes that are 40 years old.  I assume they pretty much fly the same.

I've had my C for 4½ years now, and have made less 4-person flights than I have fingers on each hand . . . More with 3 people.

One trip up the Outer Banks and back again had four adult males [OK, 2 were in college]; 200, 220, 200 & 160. We got to know each other quite well, and I carefully filled and measured to 34 gallons. Two hours' sightseeing on the way to Kitty Hawk, and 1½ hours direct back. Everyone rotated seats except me, but the poor guy whose turn was FFA to Dare County for fuel had a short turn with leg room despite a windy go-round for a second try.

With only two of us in the plane, it's amazing how much cargo you can load into even a short-body. This is how my wife likes to travel, in this case heading out for Thanksgiving with the oil preheater extension cord visible on top of the pile.

post-54-13468140830735_thumb.jpg

Quote: dmc

Thanks again,  I've just started working on my PPL and I'm trying to figure out what plane to buy.  At first I was thinking 172 as that is what I'm training in, but after some research I'd rather buy my second plane first. 

I went to the airport today and went through the Confederate Air Force museum they have there.  While the guy there was showing me the planes they have in the hanger, I noticed a few other planes there in the back.  One of them was a G model Mooney.  He said a member owned it, but wasn't there today.  I did get a good look at it though.  Hopefully I'll get a chance to talk to him some.  So there are at least 2 Mooney owners at my fairly small airport. 

I'm thinking that I really only need a 2 place plane 90% of the time, but from what I can tell the F and G models arn't that much more expensive.  Maybe I'm wrong as it is hard to compare planes that are 40 years old.  I assume they pretty much fly the same.

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased my M20G specifically for the extra rear leg room.  I'm 6'4" and go 240 lbs.  Wife is 5'9" 160 lbs.  Useful load of the "G" is 932 lbs.  We don't often fly with passengers, but when we do, it's best to make them comfortable.    Mike

Like Jim, I grew up in the back seat of a C model with my younger brother.  My dad (6'0") flew us from TX to CA a few times, as well as FL and other points closer to home.  It was tight for us as kids, and we stopped taking those trips by the time I was 12 or so.  I wouldn't plan on putting more than one adult in the back seat for any length of time unless you have a very short person in the front, right seat (or if the pilot is short too).

There are more F's than G's (for good reason) and if you want to carry 4 adults you'll need to check the useful loads of any candidate plane.  I believe the gross weight of the G is lower than the F, so it likely won't be practical IMO, so you're probably going to want an F (or a J!).  The good news is that many of the F's and early J's have higher useful loads than later model Mooneys, and you can carry 4 adults on a trip with bags so long as they aren't obese.  ;)  I've done it a few times thanks to my 1025 lb useful load and 8.5-9.0 GPH LOP fuel burn in cruise.