Top Gun installed ARI Cowl Mod Install!

This is the “newer” sandwiched ARI cowl mod closure with the 201 spinner, awaiting the final fiberglass finishing and painting.

UPDATED: 16 June 2021

The results: Looks faster on the ground. Flew her home, she felt faster and climbed better too. Topped off the tanks at home and launched to run the speed check…numbers added below.

I ran a 3 way speed check to get a baseline before the mod. Full bag of gas, solo flight. Mooney was near stock minus a knisley exhaust and a newer hartzell 2 blade prop. I usually see closer to 315-320 on my #3, but it’s _hot_ in the summer where I’m at! ~460 SMOH/SPOH

I ran the 3 way speed check after, exact same configuration. Full bag of gas, solo flight. A couple degrees cooler but all else the same. 

Numbers from my EDM700 w/ lean finder after level and things settled out:

5.5k:

Before 148.48 KTAS / After 152 KTAS

Ram / 24” MP / 2.5k RPM

Before: 29.61 / OAT 31*C / 11.3 GPH (50 ROP) / #3 cylinder 1328/343 

After: 29.77 / OAT 27*C / 11.3 GPH (50 ROP) / #3 cylinder 1338/367

————————

7.5k:

Before 146.89 KTAS / After 149.83 KTAS

Ram / 22.75” MP / 2.5k RPM

Before: 29.61 / OAT 25*C / 10.7 GPH (50 ROP) / #3 cylinder 1305/339

After: 29.78 / OAT 23.3*C / 10.7 GPH (50 ROP) / #3 cylinder 1310/358

1677983C-35CD-4941-8B11-F466F334071D.jpeg

E49F6C8A-E972-4A8A-8522-71F5D9873BD5.jpeg

1A9A0AD6-F903-420A-9FD8-26C9761EE90F.jpeg

2E545EBC-FE14-483D-B4E1-AE3C489F053E.jpeg

5854CCE2-43B3-4259-8570-8F7AD7407D45.jpeg

CF6A8E84-446B-4852-A903-47DC1C2711B1.jpeg

Edited by Bryan G
FINAL Results Update! October 6th
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, flyingchump said:

This mod looks interesting.   Looking forward to seeing your numbers.

How much more of a PITA is it to pull the top cowling our the dreaded lower cowl?

Is the install time actually around 12 hours as ARI estimates?

Top Gun quoted me 12-15, and it ended up taking 11.5 hours! I dropped it off Friday before the holiday weekend, they started work on it the following Wednesday and it was complete one week later.

The estimate for finishing and painting the cowl is 6-8 hours plus $200 in materials…which I think I’m okay with for a factory looking job, I was a little surprised with the outcome of the top fairing outer edges. But it looks faster already!

I’ll definitely ask if they’ve done the lower cowl removal.

9 hours ago, GEE-BEE AEROPRODUCTS said:

I should mfg there ducts

Quality deserves quality with finished ends

io550 n duct.jpg

IO550 F33A.jpg

Did your post get lost? What does this have to do with the ARI cowl mod being discussed?

Also...I assume you mean "their" not "there."

6 hours ago, Igor_U said:

Doesn't look like Mooney to me...

^^was a response to a previous comment that was removed…

Picking Bevo up tomorrow, and I’ll update with the hopefully improved speed! Just shy of 5 AMUs …including parts, labor, and the future finishing and painting. So, if I can get 5 knots that would be sweet! I’d be happy with anything over 150 TAS…but honestly I just like the faster look over the old guppy mouth.

13 hours ago, Bryan G said:

Picking Bevo up tomorrow, and I’ll update with the hopefully improved speed! Just shy of 5 AMUs …including parts, labor, and the future finishing and painting. So, if I can get 5 knots that would be sweet! I’d be happy with anything over 150 TAS…but honestly I just like the faster look over the old guppy mouth.

It is a much nicer look than even the closed guppy mouth. Looking forward to your test results!

I’m definitely happy with the results, both looks and performance. Here is my summary from the flight home and the speed test after topping off the tanks.

TAS showed a 3.5 knot increase at 5.5k, 3.0 knot increase at 7.5k. Climb rate has notably improved. Indicated airspeed is showing about 4 KTS higher.

EGT showed about 10F higher-negligible. CHT, however, is about 20F-25F higher. Showed 380F in the climb at 120 MPH, and about 365 once level at 5.5k. All 4 cylinders show about the same CHTs throughout the flight, so the cooling is still pretty even. Oil temp remained 190 throughout-no change.

CHT temps stayed higher after landing, refueling, and starting back up again. I recall CHT in the mid 200s after refueling prior to the mod. This time I was showing about 300 on the taxi after refueling. No issues with hot starting (I just turn the beacon on, touch nothing, yell clear and turn the key…always works well!)

Here is the price breakdown:

Discounted ARI cowl mod: $1312.35 shipped

Used (like new) Polished 201 spinner with 5 hrs on it from eBay, listed $2k. Got it for $1032 shipped!

Top Gun labor: 11.5 hours, 135/hr: $1587.72

Finishing and painting: 7.5 hours/$60 in materials: $1103 

Total: $5035

*If anyone needs a Mooney m20f original spinner w/bulkhead, PM me!

Edited by Bryan G
Updated final cost w/finishing

Your performance numbers jive with ours post-ARI cowl mod, on our E model.   I came up with about 4 knots of improvement too, overall.

We had recently rebuilt our doghouse and the engine ran exceedingly cool both before AND after the mod.   Our high temps might reach about 370 on a very hot day.   I would say no change to CHTs at all after the mod.

Enjoy your new cowl!

Edited by Aviationinfo
  • Like 1

On 7/15/2021 at 12:00 AM, carusoam said:

Nice work Bryan!

Fantastic collection of before data.

Hope the after data meets and exceeds expectations…

:)

Extra MS points are awarded for publishing great data sets…

Go MS!

Best regards,

-a-

Fantastic after pics!

Looks like somebody put in some extra effort for that to work out so nicely.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

2 hours ago, carusoam said:

Fantastic after pics!

Looks like somebody put in some extra effort for that to work out so nicely.

Best regards,

-a-

Mark at Top Gun is an artist when it comes to the glassing and painting, he did a fantastic job! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RLCarter said:

Looks nice and the price was less than I expected…"Quick question though …… how long did it take to find a Mooney with UT colors?…:D….

I had three M20s lined up that met my requirements and asked my wife which one she liked the most, the rest is history! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1