Noob questions..

M20-Cs were built with a carbureted O-360A1D engine of 180 hp with two magnetos. The IO-360 A3B6D is a fuel injected, dual-magneto 200 hp engine originally used in M20-Js. A few have been put into other models, but the engine STC is required, along with the more expensive engine, different cowling, different spinner and likely different engine mounts and propellor--not something done on a whim. Make sure the airplane logs clearly explain the work done, and that the STCs are present and logged to the aircraft serial number.

Even then, overhaul will be much higher cost than an O-360, even without the frequent conversion:  dual magneto to two magnetos.

Safety Note:  dual magnetos can cause complete engine failure if one side fails the wrong way.

Experience Note:  I have lost my left (cranking) magneto in flight, away from home, and was able to easily land without undue concern. This may or may not be possible when one side of a dual magneto fails, depending on the failure mode.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Hank said:

M20-Cs were built with a carbureted O-360A1D engine of 180 hp with two magnetos. The IO-360 A3B6D is a fuel injected, dual-magneto 200 hp engine originally used in M20-Js. A few have been put into other models, but the engine STC is required, along with the more expensive engine, different cowling, different spinner and likely different engine mounts and propellor--not something done on a whim. Make sure the airplane logs clearly explain the work done, and that the STCs are present and logged to the aircraft serial number.

Even then, overhaul will be much higher cost than an O-360, even without the frequent conversion:  dual magneto to two magnetos.

Safety Note:  dual magnetos can cause complete engine failure if one side fails the wrong way.

Experience Note:  I have lost my left (cranking) magneto in flight, away from home, and was able to easily land without undue concern. This may or may not be possible when one side of a dual magneto fails, depending on the failure mode.

Stc And paper work is there and confirmed by a mechanic and Mooney owner

the Plane had a prop strike

then they change engine cowling and more J stuff 

im trying to see what I’m going to invest in the near/far future and of curse make it safely as possible 

thank you for your time !!(: 

so dual or two? Should I keep the dual and be paranoid every oil change?

12 minutes ago, DeltaZulu said:

so dual or two? Should I keep the dual and be paranoid every oil change?

The dual mag is one of those things where you'll get a lot of strong opinions, but you should probably do your own research and just fly it for a while and see what you think.

The dual mag was installed on many thousands of airplanes with various engines, many of which are still flying.   I have one in my airplane and I like it, and currently plan to keep it as long as I can.   There are some interesting advantages to it, and a couple funky disadvantages, but that's true of many things.

It certainly shouldn't be a priority or a major concern, just an interesting feature that you may want to learn more about eventually. 

Bendix no longer supports them, but Kelly Aerospace makes parts and even new replacements.

• Like 1

Make sure your mechanic ALWAYS uses new lock washers when ever either mounting nut is loosened on the magneto. 

Never reuse one of those lock washers even if the nut was just loosened to reposition the mag.

Always replace the lock washer. Can be a big issue on those mags. I used them for years and never had a problem. 

• Like 1

DZ,

Stick around...

Visit often...

An M20C with an IO360 is an excellent combination...

Essentially you have an M20E...

But you want to do some reading...

M20Es were built complete at the factory....

The M20C with an E’s engine has been assembled somewhere else.... With the STC for governance...

Start with the log books, and become familiar with what you have, who did it, what it needs next...

Your biggest challenges are probably other things like ADSB out, and a WAAS GPS...

There are several sources of things you want... search for them all...

• PPI
  • insurance
  • annual
  • storage
  • Engine OH
  • cost of a cylinder
  • transition training
  • paint
  • corrosion protection
  • electronic mags

All good stuff...

enjoy the reading.