Flying to the Summit

201er

1 minute ago, gsxrpilot said:

There are not that many Mooney drivers that regularly get one to go as far as @201er does. I'm pretty confident Mike knows what he's doing.

I just showed my wife his flight plan, and she rolled her eyes.  No way she'd sit through a 7 hr Mooney flight. Lol. 

• Like 1

Right now Mike (N4361H) is in the air in the middle of a 7 hour, 1000 mile flight in an M20J. Also at this time, Brian Lloyd (N916BL) is in the air in the middle of an almost 9 hour, 1450 mile flight in an M20K 231. 

Are there any other certificated piston singles that have this kind of range? This is a great example of the capabilities of a normally aspirated M20J flying at 8000 ft. and a turbo M20K flying at 18,000 ft. They truly are amazing airplanes.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Marauder said:

You be careful out there! Where was that thread on the value of a StormScope again?

Hahahaha... I think they'll be just fine. After all, he's not following those big concrete arrows on the ground anymore, it's the 21st century. He's posting inflight selfies while inflight. And we're all following along in real time on FlightAware. ATC now has the capability to easily ensure he doesn't wander into anything dangerous. 

Why are you 

2 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Hahahaha... I think they'll be just fine. After all, he's not following those big concrete arrows on the ground anymore, it's the 21st century. He's posting inflight selfies while inflight. And we're all following along in real time on FlightAware. ATC now has the capability to easily ensure he doesn't wander into anything dangerous. 

And he apparently has a woman in a GA airplane for a 7 hour flight.  My wife wouldn't last that long... he must be doing something right!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MATTS875 said:

Wow, that seems to be cutting it close on fuel. He has flown many long legs before, but it would make me extremely nervous.

Which flight are you referring to? Or both of them?

I know Brian's 231 is equipped with long range tanks as well as CiES digital senders and an EDM-930. All this means he knows to probably .5 gallon. exactly how much fuel he has and where it is. I'm sure he'll land with more than an hour reserve.