Today's flight for 2018

bonal

17 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

WOW - CONGRATULATIONS bdash!

I have sat in that airplane, in Bennett's hangar once when I visited him.  That is a STUNNING example of an M20J.  Maybe the nicest M20J on the planet - well I haven't seen all of them but its the nicest I have seen with some special mods, special paint, special interior and clean...and I am sure there are none nicer.  Congratulations and enjoy!!!!!

I sat in it too last year. It was probably the only time I'd get to sit in a "brand new" J model. I conversed with Bennett two weeks ago and was addend to hear that he had given her up, but he replied that she went to a great home. Let me add that BB's serial number is 11 higher than mine but the years apart.

On a personal note, Bennett was instrumental in getting our insurance company to fix our plane after last years incident, instead of declaring it a constructive loss, for which I am grateful.

Congrats Mark.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, KLRDMD said:

I'm fortunate that I get to do this commute 7-8 times a month.

The fuel pump is still broken and the last time I was there a couple of weeks ago the AWOS bot was broken, too.  Neither was noted in NOTAMs.   The grass is getting a bit tall between the taxiway cracks, too.

I hope that place doesn't degrade into an unusable condition as I like going there.   Valle (40G) appears to be headed that way, unfortunately, so I hope it doesn't happen to P13.

On 9/15/2018 at 9:54 PM, Fred_2O said:

Evening flight over Tuscaloosa just to get away from the ground for a little while.  The airport is at one o'clock and 2 miles.  Fantastic sunset over the Black Warrior river.

20180915_evening_tcl.jpg

After pondering this photo a bit, I think there were probably some CBs (not cheap ba$tar&s) over the horizon that were blocking some of the suns' rays.

• Like 3

Took Wifey up to O'Hare (via KPWK).

IMG-20180922-WA0000.thumb.jpg.b846e1fd9918293b7afcfe7bebf25568.jpg

to drop her off to fly out to see her lifelong friend in Redding England. The are doing  a multi city, multi day walking tour. @Hyett6420 .. you are welcome to buzz them, Liz wants to see what a Mooney looks like up close

4e31c63d-4534-4300-9d27-4643165283b9.thumb.jpg.f5e2a71700286ad25642606f8b451bf6.jpg

IMG-20180924-WA0007.thumb.jpg.1f82653c02886abd5c76c196c8958863.jpg

(Leave it to her to find something like a holster for a t-cup....who knew...

IMG-20180924-WA0000.thumb.jpg.f5a8d4589c67dbdc6f0f09b20e7607fe.jpg

Wife: "Stephen, we may be walking... but we are *not* barbarians"   

Me: :huh: 

(she got one for Liz too; she loved it...) 

Meanwhile, back at the ranch....I fly home from Chicago and to Quincy, IL (on the Mississippi) to Great River Aviation and see Aaron the CFI...

20180922_085003.thumb.jpg.c637c4018b33ded87ed1e3c4e8f69fad.jpg

and passed my IPC Sunday. Woot! :ph34r:

Also thanks to @DonMuncy I think I found the PERFECT place for it!:

prizm_mooney.png

• Like 2

7 hours ago, KLRDMD said:

Yes

Thought it looked familiar. I actually took my dad fishing on that lake in '95 when it still had water in it... used to water ski on it when I was a teenager. On my last AZ trip flew that way on the way in to KFFZ it looked basically dried up. 

5 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Get your wife to give me a call when she is over and ill show her friend a  mooney up close.

andrew

Thanks Andrew, they are over there now doing that walking tour. Not sure which towns they are going through though for geo/proximity. But next time Shawn and I go to the UK, maybe we can coordinate a time to show Liz your plane. Think she would enjoy that.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KLRDMD said:

This morning. It is becoming a nice time of year to fly.

IMG_9148.jpg

Picacho Peak, one of what I would vote as the three most distinct & interesting mountain VFR landmarks in AZ. Cochise Head and Humphrey's peaks being the others.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

But there is no picture of Picacho Peak on the label!

A bunch of us have been going to the Expo Tequila in TJ for the last four years. These guys are there every year. I don't even know if you can get this stuff in the US. It turns out half of their family lives in Tucson and half live in Jalisco. That's how a Mexican Tequila ended up with an Arizona mountain on their label.

The EXPO is the best deal on the planet! A CBs delight! the entry fee is $4.00 American. You can literally drink as much tequila as you can hold for free! And it is the toppest of the top shelf stuff! Great food is $1 a plate and beers are $1. There is continuous entertainment. And the booth girls...

https://www.facebook.com/expo.tequilatijuana/

Edited by N201MKTurbo

44 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

But there is no picture of Picacho Peak on the label!

Yes sir, as a 3rd gen AZ boy, I do concede -10 points for Yippi on that front... it is out of Park City, UT..... but DAAANG that stuff is nice. 

I understand as a lark, Hi West aged out some of their whiskey in spent vermouth and petite sirrah barrels and blended the infused whiskey's into their base. That is why it is almost blood red. When they released it, pretty soon the price doubled + and you couldn't find it in stores . So, I had to try to clone it using https://www.amazon.com/Liter-Whiskey-Oak-Barrel-Aging/dp/B01HMXDJJQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1538179010&sr=8-3&keywords=golden+oak+barrels ... . :)

38 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

A bunch of us have been going to the Expo Tequila in TJ for the last four years. These guys are there every year. I don't even know if you can get this stuff in the US. It turns out half of their family lives in Tucson and half live in Jalisco. That's how a Mexican Tequila ended up with an Arizona mountain on their label.

The EXPO is the best deal on the planet! A CBs delight! the entry fee is $4.00 American. You can literally drink as much tequila as you can hold for free! And it is the toppest of the top shelf stuff! Great food is $1 a plate and beers are $1.

:rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Yes sir, as a 3rd gen AZ boy, I do concede -10 points for Yippi on that front... it is out of Park City, UT..... but DAAANG that stuff is nice. 

I understand as a lark, Hi West aged out some of their whiskey in spent vermouth and petite sirrah barrels and blended the infused whiskey's into their base. That is why it is almost blood red. When they released it, pretty soon the price doubled + and you couldn't find it in stores . So, I had to try to clone it using https://www.amazon.com/Liter-Whiskey-Oak-Barrel-Aging/dp/B01HMXDJJQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1538179010&sr=8-3&keywords=golden+oak+barrels ... . :)

Yes I have a 10 Liter barrel. I'm still working on upgrades to my ethanol separation apparatus so it can also be used as a mash tun. One of these days I will have to make something for the barrel. I have two pieces from the machine shop that I have to weld this weekend.