Garmin to Avidyne

KLRDMD

6 minutes ago, Ftlausa said:

I think the new 540 is shipping with an AHRS, which is pretty cool. 

The 540 doesn't have an AHRS but the same box with AHRS will be called the 550. It isn't shipping yet but should be literally any day now (theoretically by the end of the month).

41 minutes ago, Ftlausa said:

You are correct, the version with the AHRS (and SVT) is going to be the 550.  My bad.     

Actually, software version 10.2 (which is required for the 550 to be released) will be a free upgrade for both the 440 and 540 and will give SVT to the 540 too. The 550 with it's AHRS will have a more robust version of SVT, of course. Again, theoretically available any day now.

Just to clarify, the IFD550 has a built in ARS (Attitude Reference System). It's not a full-blown AHRS since it doesn't have a mag for heading going to it.

All IFDs will get a form of synthetic vision. The IFD550, 540, 440, 510, 410 and 545 will have the "in-trail" view:540wBezel_MAP_SVS_150_TN.jpg 

The IFD550 and IFD545 will have the "out the window" view similar to a traditional PFD:

ifd550-front_150.jpg

• Like 3

On 9/28/2016 at 9:45 AM, AviSimpson said:

Just to clarify, the IFD550 has a built in ARS (Attitude Reference System). It's not a full-blown AHRS since it doesn't have a mag for heading going to it.

All IFDs will get a form of synthetic vision. The IFD550, 540, 440, 510, 410 and 545 will have the "in-trail" view:540wBezel_MAP_SVS_150_TN.jpg 

The IFD550 and IFD545 will have the "out the window" view similar to a traditional PFD:

ifd550-front_150.jpg

This is what convinced me to look at the 550.  This may very well be my upgrade.  I have a 430W, and though I'll have to move some things around, to have this as my backup AI as well as my new main Nav/Com/Moving map would be huge.   I was planning on a 650 or 750.  This 550 may be the way to go. . . .

Now just to rethink the transponder!  I was going to go GTX 345, now I'll get something else, if I go IFD 550.  

-Seth

I like the avidyne units but I did come across a snag for people in my situation.  I have a KT74 transponder which has an STC that allows it to be used with the garmin GPS for ADSB compliance.  The avidyne rep said there is no STC for the KT74 to be used with the avidyne unit.  

Seth

Go with the APX 322 for remote mounting of the transponder unless you have the panel space for the APX340 which is cheaper.

I'm still on the fence about upgrading to the 550 from the 540.  There are other more cost effective solutions but not as clean.

• Like 2

On 9/19/2016 at 6:51 PM, KLRDMD said:

It looks like I'm pulling and trading in most of my Garmin products for Avidyne.

Out: Garmin 530W, 430W, 330ES, GDL-88 & GDL-69A

In: Avidyne IFD-540, 440 (with WiFi & BT), AXP340 & SkyTrax 100

Keeping: GMA-340, KFC-150, KAS297B, KCS-55A, WX10A, Shading Miniflo & EI GEM (that will be the next upgrade)

It turns out, when the shop went to remove my avionics, there was no GDL69A in the airplane. The theory is, it was probably removed when the GDL88 was installed. After some back and forth discussions with the selling broker and the place I'm buying the avionics from (who is also buying my old stuff), we've all come to an agreement that I can live with financially. This avionics upgrade will cost me a bit more than I originally anticipated.

Also, the install is taking longer than originally estimated, that NEVER happens, right ? While the 540/440 *can* truly be plug and play with a 530/430, no one doing the install would want that as the Avidyne has features that the Garmin doesn't and unless you do some additional wiring you can't take advantage of those features. Also, the Garmin equipment was happy with a 5A breaker where the Avidyne specifies 7.5A so more rewiring there. In a 231 that involved removing the entire circuit breaker panel to get access to the two that needed replacement. The actual replacement was only 5 min.

And, on my last flight before taking the airplane to the shop the altitude indicator died so a freshly overhauled exchange unit is being installed.

I'm anticipating getting the airplane back tomorrow. Once I get the invoice for the labor, I'll post my costs to do the upgrade.

On 9/19/2016 at 6:51 PM, KLRDMD said:

Out: Garmin 530W, 430W, 330ES & GDL88

In: Avidyne IFD-540, 440 (with WiFi & BT), AXP340 & SkyTrax 100

The bottom line financially is, trading in the old avionics, buying the new ones and paying for labor to install everything is going to run right at $11,000 and it was in the shop one week.

• 2 weeks later...
On September 20, 2016 at 9:13 AM, LANCECASPER said:

If you have a Garmin 530W and want to install an Avidyne IFD 540 it is plug and play - no wiring changes whatsoever. Same thing for changing from a Garmin 430W to and IFD440. It requires copying down all of your configurations on the setup page of the Garmins and then entering those configs once the Avidyne slides in. It's about a 30 minute process.

If you want the aural call outs you will need to have two wires added from the IFD to your audio panel.

On September 22, 2016 at 4:00 PM, donkaye said:

I feel like I'm a Garmin "Deplorable".  So I viewed this video.  It is an interesting introduction to the Avidyne 440.  It does have a lot of features.  It also has a tremendous amount of button pushing--too much for me.  Whatever the menu system is I personally don't like it.  Some others apparently do, though.

As deplorable as I may be, I am really glad to have my all Garmin simplistic panel.  Regarding database upgrading, since the System 6.11 update to the GTNs and the institution of the new OnePak, I switched to the Garmin databases with no issues whatsoever.  I'm looking forward to the System 6.21 update that has been TSO approved with STC approval expected in the next couple of days.  With it you will have 2 choices for simple update; Download all databases to one card and through a Concierge program, after inserting that card into a  GTN, it will transfer all the databases to other GTNs and G500; or Wifi all databases to an iPad and then Wifi all databases to a Flightstream 510 multimedia card that takes the place of a GTN card, and then that card will sync all databases to other Garmin GTNs and G500.   Garmin continues to push the envelope in its own way.

There are MANY was to enter things into the IFD. I was just showing one way. You can do almost all of it with just the nobs if you prefer. At the beginning of the first video I show how to enter an actual flight plan. I show how to enter unpublished holds in the second. 

On 9/28/2016 at 6:45 AM, AviSimpson said:

ifd550-front_150.jpg

Just ANOTHER huge innovation by Avidyne over the competition... I know I'm biased: but I love how Avidyne continues to think Outside the Box!  Pun intended!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

Getting back to the thread however.  I was going to install a gtn650 because it was so easy to use.  I have no upgrades to trade in so will have to do a deal. However at the Mooney summit there was an avidyne and I must admit to having fallen in love.  They have so many more functions.  Loved it.  So am now totally torn as to next step. The upgrade might have to wait a bit while I work out what I actually NEED, rather than what I would really WANT. :P 

Andrew, competition is healthy and we all benefit from it. However, in this case there just is none! The GTN is MUCH more user friendly imo. Extremely intuitive with very shallow menus. Exactly what your GPS/NAV/COM should be. Be sure you play with the simulators for both. Also you should definitely make it a point to fly with someone who has a GTN for sure. Not sure about Avidyne but maybe. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

Getting back to the thread however.  I was going to install a gtn650 because it was so easy to use.  I have no upgrades to trade in so will have to do a deal. However at the Mooney summit there was an avidyne and I must admit to having fallen in love.  They have so many more functions.  Loved it.  So am now totally torn as to next step. The upgrade might have to wait a bit while I work out what I actually NEED, rather than what I would really WANT. :P 

If you have the room, put in an Avidyne 540 now and also prepurchase the 550 upgrade. It is sold to new buyers of 540s for half what the upgrade price will be once the 550 comes out, a smoking deal. If you don't have room for a 540 MAKE ROOM !

If there's no way you can make a 540 fit, get the 440 with both Bluetooth and WiFi. When 10.2 comes out (free upgrade), get the iPad app (also free) and the combination will be awesome !!!

11 minutes ago, PTK said:

Andrew, competition is healthy and we all benefit from it. However, imo, the GTN is MUCH more user friendly. Very intuitive with very shallow menus. Be sure you play with the simulators for both. Also you should definitely make it a point to fly with someone who has a GTN for sure. Not sure about Avidyne but maybe. 

That is sound advice: try them both.

I personally find the avidyne system easier to use- and I know I'm not the only one.  Garmin's interface, both with the iPad app and the GTN's is not as intuitive to me as the Avidyne.  But each to their own- and I'm admittedly biased: I chose the Avidyne unit.  I'm not sure if the IFD's were available when PTK had his GTN installed- but he certainly likes those better... they don't call him Peter Garmin for nothing!

• create my own gps approach to an airfield if t doesnt have one (ie my own base airport) with vertical guidance and store this for future use.

NOT LEGAL IN THE US

• be able to say i want to go from a-b via airways and have it fill in the airways in between.

GTN WILL DO THIS

• then via my ipad file that as a flight plan or vice versa

GTN WILL DO THIS VIA GARMIN PILOT

• fly holds (im crap at manually flying them, arent we all)

GTN CAN DO THAT

• fly a plan on ap without me touching a thing and load radio frquencies into standby for the airspace sector i am in (big ask i know)

GTN CAN DO THE AP THING WITH A GPSS MODULE OR G500 OR ASPEND WITH AP MODULE.  I CAN LOAD ARTCC FREQUENCIES, NOT APPROACH FREQUENCIES.

• on the approach section have a VERY simple interface that allows me to route SID or vectors

GTN CAN DO THAT

• load frequencies for the one above as required into standby

GTN CAN DO THAT

• have a stormscope hidden somewhere in the plane and display the storms as required on the screen of the device (don't think i can get weather in europe yet any other way)

GTN CAN DO THAT

• automatically load the go around, and display onto the Flight Director as required.

GTN CAN DO THAT

• be able to define airports i can land at, concrete, xxx length.

GTN CAN DO THAT

• auto flick to taxi help on landing.  On takeoff have this feature as an easy to fnd turn on feature and have it auto off once speed reaches 40 knots for example.

GTN AN DO THAT

• interface with sandel or aspen if required in the future.

DON'T KNOW ABOUT SANDEL, BUT WILL INTERFACE WITH THE ASPEN

• be future proof, its 15k for gauds sake, i dont want to have to rip it out in 10 yrs because its worthless.

GTN IS UPDATED ONE OR TWO TIMES A YEAR

• database upgrades to be a simple load onto a card and install.  Currently i have a special PC thats sole function is to update the gps db via an interface cable and rs 232.

GTN CAN DO THAT

• 8.33mhz transmission / receive capability

GTN CAN DO THAT

•  
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, donkaye said:
  • create my own gps approach to an airfield if t doesnt have one (ie my own base airport) with vertical guidance and store this for future use.

NOT LEGAL IN THE US

• be able to say i want to go from a-b via airways and have it fill in the airways in between.

GTN WILL DO THIS

• then via my ipad file that as a flight plan or vice versa

GTN WILL DO THIS VIA GARMIN PILOT

• fly holds (im crap at manually flying them, arent we all)

GTN CAN DO THAT

• fly a plan on ap without me touching a thing and load radio frquencies into standby for the airspace sector i am in (big ask i know)

GTN CAN DO THE AP THING WITH A GPSS MODULE OR G500 OR ASPEND WITH AP MODULE.  I CAN LOAD ARTCC FREQUENCIES, NOT APPROACH FREQUENCIES.

• on the approach section have a VERY simple interface that allows me to route SID or vectors

GTN CAN DO THAT

• load frequencies for the one above as required into standby

GTN CAN DO THAT

• have a stormscope hidden somewhere in the plane and display the storms as required on the screen of the device (don't think i can get weather in europe yet any other way)

GTN CAN DO THAT

• automatically load the go around, and display onto the Flight Director as required.

GTN CAN DO THAT

• be able to define airports i can land at, concrete, xxx length.

GTN CAN DO THAT

• auto flick to taxi help on landing.  On takeoff have this feature as an easy to fnd turn on feature and have it auto off once speed reaches 40 knots for example.

GTN AN DO THAT

• interface with sandel or aspen if required in the future.

DON'T KNOW ABOUT SANDEL, BUT WILL INTERFACE WITH THE ASPEN

• be future proof, its 15k for gauds sake, i dont want to have to rip it out in 10 yrs because its worthless.

GTN IS UPDATED ONE OR TWO TIMES A YEAR

• database upgrades to be a simple load onto a card and install.  Currently i have a special PC thats sole function is to update the gps db via an interface cable and rs 232.

GTN CAN DO THAT

• 8.33mhz transmission / receive capability

GTN CAN DO THAT

•  

The IFD does all that, too, and you don't need to buy extra boxes to make it happen (i.e. A flight stream xxx), or install a new tray/wire harness, if you already have a 430W/530W.

and the IFD is compatible with iPad apps other than just the Garmin pilot app.

Tough choice because both suppliers are strong contenders...

1) One Wants to be your sole supplier.  They put extra effort into keeping other things from integrating well.

2) The Other wants to supply you with everything, but accepts you might have some of everything in your panel already.

3) One has a decade or more of supporting their high end Box that is still working. Nice to know... their stock price just hit an all time high.  Looks like they will be around for a while longer.

4) The other seems to have a lot more nice to have type of features.  Wireless keyboard and other modern connectivity things.

5) getting the right $5 device to connect your latest desk top USB to your GPS RS232 is worth the $5.  I learned this from the BK guys.

6) chart and OS updates from a wireless iPad would be the cat's meow.

7) Speaking of the BK guys, call them to see if they are still alive... (chirp, chirp, chirp,...)   Cricket emoji :)

8) When you add up all the boxes and Integration, what is the difference in price between the two options...

A few AMUs, a handful of AMUs, a boatload, or more.  Where do you draw the line? (Personal choice)

9) It is still impossible to see the future.  But, it is looking brighter and brighter from here!

10) Watching MS videos is really cool.  You get a feeling how some really good pilots use this stuff.

11) If you want to work on your presentation skills, watch Marauder nav com videos.  That's presentation skills at the highest level!

12) take a look at some of the panel Updates that have come out over the last year or so.

13) Are you thinking of going all glass? G500 or Aspen screens or something like that

14) Select a pilot that's plane most represents what your plane should be like...

15) if the AMU differences aren't big enough to set off alarms near your financial administrator, take screen shots of Don Kaye's and Steven757's latest panels and try to convert them to the J layout you will need.  Don't look back after that...

16) If you really value the hands on effort of customer service, the Avidyne guy is really top notch.  Our Big G guy doesn't visit us very often anymore.  He is always available if you need to catch him.

Let me know if you need details on the USB to Rs232 device...

Best regards,

-a-

Wow a debate.....  Both Garmin and Avidyne  seem feature packed.  Somewhere I heard Mark Baker from AOPA mention  about  25 % of GA aircraft  is valued  about  $40,000.

My situation:

I am not instrument  rated pilot and  I have  a Garmin 255 installed but no CDI with ILS.  I do not have panel  mounted WAAS GPS installed. So  I have  been kicking around the idea of installing a King KSN 770  there could be  opportunity if I were to help  with installation reducing time and cost significantly. I had a  King/Honeywell rep tell me that don't orphan their products. Also since UI is base off their APEX line which I think it is model after  biz jet line of avionics. and I think database is not proprietary. 

I am just wondering a what point  would one should cut off spending on an  aircraft  only worth  $40k or less. I have certainly have not figured that out and unwisely invested  money into a '67C than I probably should have but my rational is  that it has been in the family since 1984 and I inherited from my Father. And at  some point I 'll probably  pass it off to sibling or nephews/nieces.   Absolutely no logic but other than I would spending my money  some place else. so I call it my expensive hobby.  It seems like many on this site have many flying for many years and much more wiser than I.  I have curiosity  question to what is  absolutely necessary in today's world  flying.     Excluding  say the  moving map and  I am trying to stay away from vacuum  mechanical instruments (i.e. CDI takes up panel space and can fail). but keeping in mind is aircraft is worth $25k-$35k at best.
So  If you had to  pick  5 Garmin or Avidyne  or King or ????   features on a WAAS GPS   what would  the features be?  or  what features would hard to live without?

Curious on your thoughts  (not trying to restart a battle just looking for advice)

Thanks in advance,

James '67C