Over flight of Canadian airspace

Bravoman

I apologize if this is been discussed previously on the board, but I just wanted to doublecheck to see what folks know about any requirements associated with filing, Aepis, etc.  associated with overflying Canadian airspace. Later this month, my wife and I have a trip planned up to Chicago ( landing at GYY), and then from there over to Lake Placid, New York. The most direct route will have us crossing the border and overflying Canada for a good ways. We do not intend to land in Canada.  It appears from looking around on the web that there are no specific requirements if you are on an IFR flight plan, which I intend to be.  

Thanks for your help

Regards, Frank

I fly that area every year going to Osh Kosh, you fly over canada but you are still under US control. I use flight following just because I am flying over the water, but it is not required. there is a 12.5 restriction but on my last return trip from Osh we were at 17.5 talking to cleveland and they said it didn't apply to us because we were still in US controlled airspace even though we were over Canada.  

Brian

I do it all the time. I just went KPCW YQG KAPN 

You will probably be with Cleveland Center the whole time (depending on altitude)

You may want to carry your passports just in case you have an unplanned stop.

You do need to be on a flight plan, have a squawk code and talking with ATC when you cross the border.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, orionflt said:

I fly that area every year going to Osh Kosh, you fly over canada but you are still under US control. I use flight following just because I am flying over the water, but it is not required. there is a 12.5 restriction but on my last return trip from Osh we were at 17.5 talking to cleveland and they said it didn't apply to us because we were still in US controlled airspace even though we were over Canada.  

Brian

Just curious....  So U.S. rules apply over Canada when within US control.  Do Canadian rules apply over the US when within Canadian control?  Perhaps somebody with an ATC contact can clarify.

Just now, Cyril Gibb said:

Just curious....  So U.S. rules apply over Canada when within US control.  Do Canadian rules apply over the US when within Canadian control?  Perhaps somebody with an ATC contact can clarify.

I think it is more that it is easier to let the US control that section vs swapping flights back and forth between controllers in such a short distance. 

Brian

If your over a foreign country you are in their air space. It's possible to be under US control if you are close to the border, I get vectored over Mexico by US ATC when doing approaches into KBRO and KMFE when the wind is out of the north all the time. Not sure what all goes on behind the scenes between the controllers but there is some sort of an agreement 

As long as your origin and destination are in the US, overflying Canada on an IFR flight plan is no big deal and the controllers will coordinate.   No eAPIS needed for that.   The suggestion to carry passports in case of an emergency is a good one and I'll start doing that in the future.

My understanding is that for example Cleveland has control over a portion of Canadian airspace in southern Ontario, but Canadian regulations apply to the airspace.

Cleveland has control of the airspace over Chatam Ontario, but Canadian IFR rules would apply to an instrument approach made to that airport  

For example to fly above 12500' VFR in Canadian airspace you require a clearance, which Cleveland can issue.  To fly VFR on top of cloud in Canadian airspace you require a VOT rating, your basic FAA PPL won't do, but your IR will.

I believe that Drapo is the ATC guy in the Montreal area, perhaps he will chime in.

Clarence

If you fly IFR across the U.P. of Michigan to land at Sault St.Marie MI, you will have to talk to a Canadian controller until turned over to unicom at the airport.  In addition, you will either cancel with them or Flight Service.  So............it goes both ways.

Tom

4 hours ago, bradp said:

Cyril send us your pennies and we will divulge.  

sadly, I used them all in the US after they weren't usable here..... penny jar is no more....

I remember trying to convert, many moons ago, Canadian $2 bills to US currency in a bank in Florida.  They didn't believe they were real and almost called the cops....  they'd never seen a $2 bill before.

All of a sudden I'm feeling old.....

14 hours ago, Cyril Gibb said:

sadly, I used them all in the US after they weren't usable here..... penny jar is no more....

I remember trying to convert, many moons ago, Canadian $2 bills to US currency in a bank in Florida.  They didn't believe they were real and almost called the cops....  they'd never seen a $2 bill before.

All of a sudden I'm feeling old.....

strange, since the US has had $2 bills longer than I've been alive.

The US $2 bill was discontinued in 1966, although still legal tender.  Reintroduced in 1976 (according to Wikipedia).  My experience was in the early 70s when the US $2 was quite rare and hadn't been printed in some time.  Paper money typically only lasts in circulation for 5 or 6 years.

1 hour ago, Cyril Gibb said:

The US $2 bill was discontinued in 1966, although still legal tender.  Reintroduced in 1976 (according to Wikipedia).  My experience was in the early 70s when the US $2 was quite rare and hadn't been printed in some time.  Paper money typically only lasts in circulation for 5 or 6 years.

People in the US tend to hoard $2 bills for their perceived rarity. I'm not sure they're as much rare as just not used. 

At one point in the mid-50s, the Army paid troops with $2.00 bills in selected areas so the local population could see how the Army base effected the local economy. I seem to recall that it was an effective technique. Only saw it once in my various base assignments.

• Like 1

I have an oddball friend that will carry with him several hundred $2 bills and "flood" small towns with them during his travels. He claims that people are mindboggled upon the sight of them along with those gold colored $1 Sacajawea coins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, tigers2007 said:

I have an oddball friend that will carry with him several hundred $2 bills and "flood" small towns with them during his travels. He claims that people are mindboggled upon the sight of them along with those gold colored $1 Sacajawea coins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a shame the coins didn't catch on

My brother gets $2 at Christmas and passes them out. They make good tips. Around 2003, I paid cash for lunch at Ted's Montana Grill and received two new $2 bills and some coins in change. I still have some 1976s set aside . . .

As for the gold-colored Sacajawea $1 coins, they're far too heavy compared to bills, and vending machines won't take them. It makes getting $4.73 change a bulky, heavy pocket. I have some of them, too, but will not carry them. I've never been offered any in change. Got mine at the bank when they were new.

21 minutes ago, Hank said:

My brother gets $2 at Christmas and passes them out. They make good tips. Around 2003, I paid cash for lunch at Ted's Montana Grill and received two new $2 bills and some coins in change. I still have some 1976s set aside . . .

As for the gold-colored Sacajawea $1 coins, they're far too heavy compared to bills, and vending machines won't take them. It makes getting $4.73 change a bulky, heavy pocket. I have some of them, too, but will not carry them. I've never been offered any in change. Got mine at the bank when they were new.

The loonies and toonies seemed to work for Canada, and save money since they last a lot longer than bills. Did they stop making one recently? I seem to remember they did. 

Edited by peevee

7 hours ago, peevee said:

The loonies and toonies seemed to work for Canada, and save money since they last a lot longer than bills. Did they stop making one recently? I seem to remember they did. 

Loonies and Toonies are still in production and circulation, my kids gather them from my pockets all the time.

Clarence

On September 13, 2016 at 9:11 PM, M20Doc said:

My understanding is that for example Cleveland has control over a portion of Canadian airspace in southern Ontario, but Canadian regulations apply to the airspace.

Cleveland has control of the airspace over Chatam Ontario, but Canadian IFR rules would apply to an instrument approach made to that airport  

For example to fly above 12500' VFR in Canadian airspace you require a clearance, which Cleveland can issue.  To fly VFR on top of cloud in Canadian airspace you require a VOT rating, your basic FAA PPL won't do, but your IR will.

I believe that Drapo is the ATC guy in the Montreal area, perhaps he will chime in.

Clarence

What is the VOT rating and how does it work? I am assuming  it is short for vfr over the top and that in Canada you need that in order to do what vfr pilots in the US  can do without an additional rating? 

6 hours ago, Bravoman said:

What is the VOT rating and how does it work? I am assuming  it is short for vfr over the top and that in Canada you need that in order to do what vfr pilots in the US  can do without an additional rating? 

You are correct, it stands for VFR on Top.  Required for flight on top of cloud, weather must be VFR on both ends of the flight.

Clarence