New CEO at Mooney

GeorgePerry

I continue to believe that the only hope for the company to make it is if the M10 trainers find a real market here or abroad, which seems entirely possible particularly if aviation really explodes in China. If that happens, maybe it would be smart to phase  out the m20 line in favor of a new line that more closely resembles what seems to sell these days. 

• Like 2

While worldwide sales of general aviation aircraft have softened in 2016, Cirrus Aircraft is off to its strongest start since eight years ago, when the U.S. economy teetered into a recession.

The Duluth-based airplane maker shipped 153 aircraft during the first six months of this year. That’s more than a 30 percent bump in production compared with the same period last year.

And Cirrus’ billings were even more bullish, with sales for the first half of 2016 up more than 35 percent compared with the same period last year.

Piper by way of example refashioned itself by phasing out what wasn't selling and started making personal aircraft that appeal to a broad market. While they  don't make as many units as cirrus I understand that the margin allows piper to be pretty profitable with the matrix, Malibu, meridian line. They of course still make some of the Cherokees for the trainer market but it seems that some good decisions were made there as there certainly was a time that Piper was sucking wind. 

I continue to believe that the only hope for the company to make it is if the M10 trainers find a real market here or abroad, which seems entirely possible particularly if aviation really explodes in China. If that happens, maybe it would be smart to phase  out the m20 line in favor of a new line that more closely resembles what seems to sell these days. 

This is what I believe as well, but that is highly contingent on the M10 being a good airplane, that can be manufactured efficiently. That is certainly not a sure thing, and I expect that is why we're hearing of today's news...

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

• Like 1

In the absence of any hard facts here's my uninformed guess:

Dr. Chen crafted the business plan, engaged investors, led M10 design studies, created the Chino design team, revitalized Kerville and in spare moments renewed the Ovation and Acclaim designs and restarted production.  A very good few years for him.

I suspect he will focus on M10 launch and GA infrastructure development in China as the M10 nears completion.  

If I were his key investor that's what I'd encourage him to focus upon now.  The M10 program must succeed or this latest incarnation of the Mooney company is done:  Selling parts to us CBs with our ancient airframes is not a plan of interest to any investor.   Nor will selling a few dozen M10 per year in the USA.  They need to sell thousands of M10s this decade and to do that, well, they have to simultaneously create GA in Asia.  

Best luck to him, I say.  

• Like 6

15 hours ago, GeorgePerry said:

If they could incorporate a BRS system as an option, they'd immediately sell airplanes. 

Some buyers would happily give up 60 lb of useful load for the safety benefit and cruise 20-30 knots faster than the competition 

I 100℅ agree.  Cirrus has a significant marketing advantage with the BRS system.  Money needs to negate that advantage.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GeorgePerry said: If they could incorporate a BRS system as an option, they'd immediately sell airplanes. 

Some buyers would happily give up 60 lb of useful load for the safety benefit and cruise 20-30 knots faster than the competition 

I 100℅ agree.  Cirrus has a significant marketing advantage with the BRS system.  Money needs to negate that advantage.

Heard someone in Oshkosh say that Cirrus had sold 30 planes during the show. There is a reason they are selling very well. Comfort, modern design, good useful load, good speed, and yes, BRS. If you can afford to pay nearly 1M for a Cirrus I suspect you are not overly concerned with the cost of maintaining that system. In fact, I suspect you are more than willing to pay for that LAST option.

I'm afraid there isn't much future for the M20 without a major increase in useful load, and as much as i hate it, a parachute. It should be considered an option since it isn't needed to meet stall requirements, so that those buyers that value payload can skip it, but those with nervous spouses can consider it.

Cirrus did an amazing job increasing useful load on the G5, and it is paying dividends now.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Hector said:

Heard someone in Oshkosh say that Cirrus had sold 30 planes during the show. There is a reason they are selling very well. Comfort, modern design, good useful load, good speed, and yes, BRS. If you can afford to pay nearly 1M for a Cirrus I suspect you are not overly concerned with the cost of maintaining that system. In fact, I suspect you are more than willing to pay for that LAST option.

Cirrus sold 38 planes.  10 of which were part of a fleet deal for trainers.  So there is a market for trainers and Mooney should move forward with the M10.  But that leaves 28 sold to individual customers and that's in one week.  I hope Mooney's new leadership sees the competitive landscape as clearly as most and they pursue a BRS system for the M20 line.  If they don't the future looks alot like the past.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Of new ones, or of the legacy fleet/availability of parts, etc?

All of the above!  In my opinion, the times I was near Jerry, watching and listening, and seeing all that took place the past few years, he listened to us old timers [hence the M10 legacy tail] and he was attempting to please to the calling.  And at the same time, producing the M10 for the future and Asia [my opinion again].

The M20 is labor intensive relative to the M10.  All is fair in you know what...............and business!  Since I have been out of the loop for sometime now, I have no idea how many Ovations and Acclaims have been sold.  I'll bet nothing close the amount of the other competitor [you know, the plastic plane, with the ripcord!].

Business is business, and that means the almighty $ !  Are the M20 $'s a positive for the investors?

Again, I have no idea of, or knowledge of the new CEO.  But, I do hope my concerns are incorrect and he will be as in tune and caring about the M20 as Jerry was.  

Just my 2 cents. 

47 minutes ago, MooneyMitch said:

All of the above!  In my opinion, the times I was near Jerry, watching and listening, and seeing all that took place the past few years, he listened to us old timers [hence the M10 legacy tail] and he was attempting to please to the calling.  And at the same time, producing the M10 for the future and Asia [my opinion again].

The M20 is labor intensive relative to the M10.  All is fair in you know what...............and business!  Since I have been out of the loop for sometime now, I have no idea how many Ovations and Acclaims have been sold.  I'll bet nothing close the amount of the other competitor [you know, the plastic plane, with the ripcord!].

Business is business, and that means the almighty $ !  Are the M20 $'s a positive for the investors?

Again, I have no idea of, or knowledge of the new CEO.  But, I do hope my concerns are incorrect and he will be as in tune and caring about the M20 as Jerry was.  

Just my 2 cents. 

Ugh - because I worry you may be right.