Whelen Parmetheus Plus LED Landing Light Install

Got a Whelen Parmetheus Plus LED Landing light at Oshkosh last month, and am planning to install it in my 1965 M20-E.

Is this an easy owner install?

I have the SWTX cowl and the existing bulb light is behind a plexi cover held on with phillips head screws.  Taking off the lower right side access panel behind the front cowling lets me get to the light assembly to replace the old bulbs as they burn out.

Hoping that I can do it myself and just make an entry in the logbook.  

Or, my mechanic can do it if necessary, and he can make the logbook entry.

Thanks for any input.

Bucko Strehlow

From what I understand, if its a FAA-PMA authorized replacement, as an owner-operator, you are allowed to exchange the landing light. More experienced members- feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

The only question there becomes, what took you so long? A month with a new toy? I would've had it on that night

Actually, won in at the Mooney Caravan live drawing at the Tuesday night BBQ dinner.  It was one of 2 that Whelen donated to the Caravan festivities.

Whelen shipped it after I sent in the certificate and it just arrived today.

Only thing that kept me from going out to put it on tonight was that I got home too late to do it.  Just was wondering how easy or hard it'd be on the 1965 E model.

Thanks,

Bucko

(Also very excited with my new toy.)

It wasn't difficult to do on my '70 C. Pop off the right cheek to get to the wires. But I don't have the LASAR cowl, so I had to remove the wonderful trim ring that's sunk ~4" into the front of nose.

It's an original Parmetheus, been in since April last year, I've only turned it off once since (during annual). You'll like it.

not including the plexiglass, it is 3-4 screws that hold the light in place with a retainer ring on the front.. two machine screws holding the power leads ... Be sure to reinstall with correct polarity as directed by Whelen.   Super easy.. remove cowl cheek and retainer ring...  takes 5 minutes.. 

Got a Whelen Parmetheus Plus LED Landing light at Oshkosh last month, and am planning to install it in my 1965 M20-E.

Is this an easy owner install?

My mechanic did mine.  Said it was easy on a 1964C.  It will not be as bright as you think it will be.  But at least you can have it on the entire flight.  I am waiting for the plus plus plus plus version.......

It will not be as bright as you think it will be.  But at least you can have it on the entire flight.

It's certainly no little sun, but it's much much brighter than the burned out GE bulb it replaced. Thankfully on the flight it died (worked well at preflight, then did not illuminate the ridgeline on base . . .) I was able to dimly make out the numbers on the runway, which I had repainted the year before. The runway edge lights were mostly lit, and once I cleared the trees on short final and could descend the rest of the way, I could briefly see the REILs for proper alignment with the 75' wide runway off center between the 200' wide lights.

Now my LED is on all the time, and provides adequate lighting of the runway from about 0.68 or 0.74 nm out (I forget the exact number). Just another thing I like about moving back South.

I know that I promised pictures, but it was so easy as a drop in that it wasn't worth it.

Took off the plastic lens cover on the front cowling (4 phillips head screws).  Took off the retaining ring (again 4 screws).  Took out the old light assembly.  Took off the wires to the back of it.  Ground easily identifiable, as was the 14 volt power side.  Screwed the appropriate wires to the back of the new Whelen LED light.

Turned on the master and the landing light switch, to make sure it all worked.  Then reinstalled everything in the reverse order.

Took about 10 minutes, and a lot of that time was cleaning and polishing the front plastic lens cover at the front of the cowling prior to putting it back on.

Then went and flew three (3) takeoffs and landings, as it was well and truly dark.

Very bright, although the spread was a little less wide than the old light.  Definitely sent the light further down the runway, and anything that reflected was really visible.  

Like it very much.  Especially the 5,000 hour + LED life.  And it will stay on all the time.

Bucko

• Like 1

Will do this eventually when mine burns out.  I've heard there's landing and taxi versions?  Which one do folks get?

On my 1964c the landing version was the only one available.  Don't quote me right now I don't have my stuff in front of me but I think I had to use the PAR46.  they only have or had at the time the PAR46 in a landing light ......12v...

I then bought the lens from LASAR to make it aerodynamic.

post-12566-0-92485200-1440032615_thumb.j

post-12566-0-56604700-1440032625_thumb.j

I too have been interested in upgrading to the Parmetheus LED bulbs for my F model. My particular Mooney has the oil cooler relocation mod and in it's place a second landing light. Talk about an electricity hog! Two of the GE4537 bulbs add up to a whopping 200 Watts or dang near 15 amps! I'm wondering which bulb (landing/taxi) or combination would be best to buy. Also, have they come down in price lately or are they still around $300?

post-12767-0-77907800-1440036469_thumb.j