Vintage Mooney Paint

Bob, that middle picture is one of the classier original paint schemes. I really like the look of it!

Yeah, it's been 50 years, perhaps time to bring it back. (I repainted it, with perhaps 15 year since new because the original paint was in poor shape. I suppose in '66 the factory paint job was not polyurethane but I don't know.)

If you have the original windscreen I would go original. That f with the green stripes is as cool as it gets. If you have the 201 I would do something more modern. I have never liked the vintage paint with a 201 windscreen. I liked lot the early J paint jobs, they would look good too.

I have the F with the disco green stripes. I also have the manual with all the paint codes I can post up later this week. I hit the paint with a buffer and it shined right up. So just going to keep flying it

I am planning to paint my 69F soon.   I am thinking about an original scheme in blue, or a Ovation scheme.  What do you think?

I have attached an original 69 Mooney ad for reference.

Thanks in advance.

Ron

Go with the original. However like Dan said, if your plane has been modded like mine and now has the 201 style windshield and 201 style cowl, maybe not. Although I don't see why it wouldn't still work. In either case, I personally would drop the fake painted in "I wanna be a bigger airplane" windows. Those are pretty cheesy to me. Kind of like fake scoops on cars.

Whatever you do, don't just jump on the Ovation swoosh bandwagon. We need some variety on the ramp at home coming and other Mooney get togethers.

My current '66E was painted in '98. And my first '66E before, original paint scheme, and after I painted it in the early '80s.

I like the photo on the left. My current line of thinking is that vintage planes look best with vintage paint schemes.

I was toying with the idea of a late 80s scheme for a while (if I modded it with the 201 bits). I still think the PFM 3200 is one of the most beautiful modern GA singles ever produced.

post-8069-0-96084600-1436032351_thumb.jp

I'm kinda partial to the art deco-ish paint schemes of the late 60's.  My '68C now sports a simple white on top, blue on bottom scheme which looks just fine.  However if I ever repaint, I'd probably try to come up with a slightly updated version of the original. Here's a nice print ad for the '68C.  It would be ideal if you could get the young lady in the cowboy getup included with the paint job.

post-12908-0-13344800-1436042748_thumb.j

post-12908-0-54487500-1436042757_thumb.j

Partial to the aircraft paint scheme? 

I can see the paisley very well on the ranger girl ,but the aircraft is not in the picture very much.

If she were a larger girl you would not see the plane at all .( oh no I didn't say that)

I'm kinda partial to the art deco-ish paint schemes of the late 60's.  My '68C now sports a simple white on top, blue on bottom scheme which looks just fine.  However if I ever repaint, I'd probably try to come up with a slightly updated version of the original. Here's a nice print ad for the '68C.  It would be ideal if you could get the young lady in the cowboy getup included with the paint job.

Maybe she's still available?  I bet she's 75-80 by now.

Partial to the aircraft paint scheme?

I can see the paisley very well on the ranger girl ,but the aircraft is not in the picture very much.

If she were a larger girl you would not see the plane at all .( oh no I didn't say that)

Never say this ^^^^^^ phrase. It only encourages Chris to post pictures of things you can't unsee...
  • Like 1

Too bad we can't redeem that $8.00 Ranger program coupon!

Yes!!!    

I Went with a Cessna 25$ discover flight in 1978!!

IT STILL WORKED OUT..  

But a 8$ Mooney flight would have been gooder....

There is no expiry date on this coupon. Someone shall print cut and walk to Jerry and redeem this :-) just to see their face.

Yves

• Like 1

Here's someone who went to trouble of repainting in the '68 original paint scheme, decals and all.  I don't love the color, but updated version could be very nice:

1968-featured-mooney-m20c.jpg

But I think the scheme on this '66E might be the sharpest retro one I've seen:

3378x_e.jpg

3378x_e2.jpg

• Like 4

I like the vintage look. I think the vintage airplanes will be desirable once more and more are lost and upgraded. I really like steam gauges now that I have had much more time behind them and think I'll keep my panel pretty stock other than the radio stack.

Also I like my old school 1984 paint job and if I repaint anything it will be maintenance only.

Goal, to have one of the nicest original Mooneys in Florida.